Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance Renewal + Travelling

• 21-11-2007 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hello All,
    My insurance is up for renewal in the next few days (FBD), but I am heading away for 5-6 months at the end of January. I have two options - cancel the policy, and open up a new one when I get back - my NCB is valid for 2 years. I can also suspend the policy which means I get some money back for the months I am away. When I asked how much I will get I was told it will be on a "pro-rata" amount but they couldnt tell me how much this is! I am just wondering is it worth my while renewing now and having the car for 2 months or maybe just renew when I come back.

Anyone else been in this situation? Any advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And what will happen to your car when you're abroad? What kind of insurance have you got? Say you have a TPF&T or comprehensive insurance and you cancel it now. Someone steals / burns your car in your absence and you will get nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Insurance Companies are also a bit wary about insuring cars where there has been a break in cover.
    My own was off the road (uninsured for a year on my drive) and my broker had to persuade the insurer to take me back on, and I had to sign declarations that the car is in roadworthy condition.

Advertisement