Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Even More Tesco Bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Any bog roll on offer to go with that?

I'm not the only one? Couldn't figure out what was wrong with me until I removed Weetabix from my diet!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Don't see what's revelatory about that....it is roughage after all!! Love my Weetabix. Been having it since the days of Brian and Bixie and the other guys names (that I just can't remember!). I have a Weetabix bowl and the Weetabix tin for storing them in too..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

I find the tesco own brand just as good and alot cheaper.

occasionally the 24 box own brand is cheaper than the 48 box own brand tesco bix.

above is price per bix cost.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

rameire wrote:

rameire wrote:
    occasionally the 24 box own brand is cheaper than the 48 box own brand tesco bix.

Should this not always be the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Some nice wines on at €7 this weekend including Santa Rita, Wolf Blass Red Label and Torres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Should this not always be the case?

Per biscuut. In tesco larger packs are very often more expensive per item / per weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

athtrasna wrote: »
    Some nice wines on at €7 this weekend including Santa Rita, Wolf Blass Red Label and Torres

And a 10 off 50 spend lidl voucher in sun indo and world which they'll accept in tesco

careful though

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95461649&postcount=19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Toshiba 1tb hard disk scanning at €59. Display price 89. It's ok for a shop. You will probably get it around the same price from Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

48 pack of Weetabix - €3

(in Birr but I presume everywhere)

Went to check this out and it was €3.99 today in Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

100 Finish Powerball for a tenner in my local store

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

I got it yesterday for €3 in Tipp. Wonder if they've put it up everywhere. I was going to go and get more tomorrow- the fussy ones in my house won't eat anything but the real thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Try 6.09 in ballinasloe 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

athtrasna wrote: »

The 1/2 price wine in Tesco is all a con as this article from the Guardian shows.
    While it refers to the UK, as far as Tesco are concerned we are part of the same marketplace

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/nov/01/supermarket-wine-tesco-sainsburys-asda

I don't know the excise or VAT rates that apply here, but the actual amount spent on the wine in a E7 bottle, after those taxes, transport, bottling and the supermarket profit must be tiny.

I just bought a 2012 bottle of St Emillion Grand Cru in Lidl for E14.99. It won a gold medal in the Challenge International du Vin (whatever that is), but it should be good stuff. Only after leaving the shop did I remember the E10 voucher off a E50 spend in tomorrows Sunday World and Sindo, both of which can also be used in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wonder will Tesco accept lidl vouchers online? I've a €15 online voucher to use up too!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Murt10 wrote: »
    The 1/2 price wine in Tesco is all a con as this article from the Guardian shows.
    While it refers to the UK, as far as Tesco are concerned we are part of the same marketplace

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/nov/01/supermarket-wine-tesco-sainsburys-asda

I don't know the excise or VAT rates that apply here, but the actual amount spent on the wine in a E7 bottle, after those taxes, transport, bottling and the supermarket profit must be tiny.

I just bought a 2012 bottle of St Emillion Grand Cru in Lidl for E14.99. It won a gold medal in the Challenge International du Vin (whatever that is), but it should be good stuff. Only after leaving the shop did I remember the E10 voucher off a E50 spend in tomorrows Sunday World and Sindo, both of which can also be used in Tesco.

I wasn't posting about half price wine, I was posting about wines which very rarely if ever are available below €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Sony BDS-P1200 blu ray player scanning at 49.99, last year's model but has USB, network, iPlayer etc. Someone took the last one off the shelf in Bloomfield's mind you. If you see it elsewhere you won't get a better bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Cadburys creme egg ice cream, 500ml tubs, 83c and
    Ben & Jerrys Minter Wonderland ice cream, 500 ml tubs, €1.65 @ Ballybrack

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

Murt10 wrote: »

Don't believe everything you read in the newspaper!! Yes - there are a lot of rubbish wines on sale in the half-price sales but there are also decent ones. The trick is to know what wines you like and what you normally pay for them and then stock up when they're on sale. Obviously the UK buyers of Tesco wine aren't very discriminating - can't believe that Oggio plonk is one of their best sellers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Got a rather fetching morphy richards 4 slice toaster for 23 quid today in Clearwater. It was the last one. Seems to be much dearer everywhere else

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0052WHF9U/ref=s9_simh_gw_d0_g79_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=mobile-1&pf_rd_r=0JZA50VRNHGW0F8QJ7BC&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=507564347&pf_rd_i=mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

K-9 wrote: »
    Wonder will Tesco accept lidl vouchers online? I've a €15 online voucher to use up too!

You can't use the code on the website as it won't be recognised but someone mentioned on the old thread that they gave the driver tge voucher on delivery and the amount was credited back to the card used. I would think it depends on the store so check in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

rameire wrote: »

above is price per bix cost.

I've never found tesco own brand to be anywhere near the quality of a ldi/lidl items

But maybe that's just me ( and everyone else ;) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Why are own brand products cheap ? Should be quality of ingredients obviously..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭brian_t

tharmor wrote: »

Not obviously. Sometimes you pay a premium just for the Name on the packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

brian_t wrote: »

Effectively ou're paying for them to advertise to you ... branding works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

There is a difference in ingredients. Look at the differences in salt and other levels between the two. Most times the own brand comes out the worse for wear, especially the biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    There is a difference in ingredients. Look at the differences in salt and other levels between the two. Most times the own brand comes out the worse for wear, especially the biscuits.

Tesco Own brand custard creams though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Way too much off topic chat....

p.s. I know that this isn't a bargain either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Furzy wrote: »
    Don't believe everything you read in the newspaper!! Yes - there are a lot of rubbish wines on sale in the half-price sales but there are also decent ones. The trick is to know what wines you like and what you normally pay for them and then stock up when they're on sale. Obviously the UK buyers of Tesco wine aren't very discriminating - can't believe that Oggio plonk is one of their best sellers!
    mikeecho wrote: »
    I've never found tesco own brand to be anywhere near the quality of a ldi/lidl items

But maybe that's just me ( and everyone else ;) )
    tharmor wrote: »
    brian_t wrote: »
    RayCon wrote: »
    Effectively ou're paying for them to advertise to you ... branding works.
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Jimdagym wrote: »
    Tesco Own brand custard creams though.....
    Really! there is a thread for such discussions over here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056773033&page=28

Please let's keep this thread for Tesco bargains.

Last week, found the following:
    Gaiam yoga tote €6.08
    Belkin white wall charger w charge/sync cable €4.95 - UPC code on this 722868932605 (similar looking one is €18)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement