Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound Bins new annual charge

• 07-09-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Just got a flyer in the post today from Greyhound (formerly the Council bins). They are changing to an annual charge of €60 plus pay by weight. 31 cent per kilo black bin and 24 cent per kilo brown bin. They are claiming, based on 20kg average bin weight lifts €6.20 per black bin and €4.80 per brown bin.

Are Access waste cheaper? They are €8 per black bin and €4.50 per brown bin but no annual charge. Seems to me that based on say 2 bins a month, and assuming the average weight is correct, that Greyhound annual charge is costing an extra €2.50 per black bin lift on top of their €6.20, so say €8.70, and the brown bin is pricier anyway.

So is it a no-brainer to move to Access? Any comments on their service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Yeah - got letter from them today. Reckon it will work out dearer for us, so considering Thorntons - their flyer suggests they charge €7.98 per lift, no annual charge.

Never heard of Access, but will check them out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Just checked out Thorntons. They seem cheaper online alright, for the brown bin anway. Wonder how easy it is to move. I'm overdrawn on Greyhound anyway;)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Mossy

juke wrote: »
    Yeah - got letter from them today. Reckon it will work out dearer for us, so considering Thorntons - their flyer suggests they charge €7.98 per lift, no annual charge.

According to Thornton's website, in Dublin they charge

€7.50 per black bin lift
    €4.20 per brown bin lift
    and a €50 annual fee.

From that it looks like the weight of your rubbish determines which one is cheaper.

Is that flyer recent? Do they mention the "no annual charge" as part of an introductory offer?

Access seem to have very low prices assuming that there are no annual fees. However they are worryingly short on details and I can't any mention of annual fees, one way or the other, apart from the following from their Domestic Customer FAQ (mentions quarterly fees) -
    What will the pay by weight service cost?
    Service: €40 per quarter urban; €50 rural
    Black Bin: 20c per kilo
    Green Bin: collected free of charge for our customers

Strangely this is the only place I can find mention of pay by weight.

The lack of detailed and complete information on their site doesn't make it clear whether or not there are additional charges, and doesn't inspire confidence in the company.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We use Access and have had no trouble with them. If there is any disruption to the service (e.g. during snow) they text you with new collection date.

(no connection, satisfied customer blah, blah)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Mossy

Can you confirm that they have no annual charges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

From their not-so-clear website it looks like Access is €40/month

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mossy wrote: »
    Can you confirm that they have no annual charges?

None whatsoever, I log onto their website the day before I need the bin to go out and put another €8 onto the account. That's it...

Mossy wrote: »
    According to Thornton's website, in Dublin they charge

€7.50 per black bin lift
    €4.20 per brown bin lift
    and a €50 annual fee.

From that it looks like the weight of your rubbish determines which one is cheaper.

Is that flyer recent? Do they mention the "no annual charge" as part of an introductory offer?

Flier could be 2 months old - no mention of annual charge. Note Thorntons website says the above prices take effect 1/10/2011 - so maybe they are changing the structure in line with Greyhound

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Flier could be 2 months old - no mention of annual charge. Note Thorntons website says the above prices take effect 1/10/2011 - so maybe they are changing the structure in line with Greyhound

Yeah got a letter from Greyhound on Tuesday with their new pricing so rang thortons and if i remember correctly its a 50 euro yearly charge and 7.13 a lift (if you pay on line). Can't find the postit i wrote it down on - scanning the 3,000 postits on my desk!!! :D This was over the phone so the site must not be updated yet. Greyhound are 60 yearly and 31 Cent a kilo so with my bins that would cost me a fortune!! I can feel the weight when i put them out so i reckon they are touching the 75kg which would put them @21 euro with Greyhound! (avg of once a month)

Resaon for the change is the landfill levy increase from 30 to 50 a tonne from 1st September as introduced by the Government!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭brendanb586

One of the big drives to outsourcing bins and charging was to reduce the waste produced per household; with using Greyhound and Thortons, you can only make a saving if you put out MORE waste, at least twice a month. With an annual charge, you are paying for non-use as well as use.

It's a big scam - once they got the SDCC contract, they knew the Irish couldn't be bothered changing providers (remember Eircom). We don't put the bin out every week, so I tried to calculate what it costs for just over once a month, and at the full every second week rate*. I got the following yearly charges for the four companies delivering to SDCC area for only black bin charges, per lift rates:
    Access   Citybin  Greyhound  Thorntons     (SDCC)
    Annual Charge      €0.00    €0.00     €60.00     €50.00      €0.00
    Per Blackbin       €8.00    €8.40      €6.20      €7.50     €10.50
    Blackbin x 13    €104.00  €109.20    €140.60    €147.50    €136.50
    Blackbin x 26    €208.00  €218.40    €221.20    €245.00    €273.00

If you have a bin out every 2nd week all year, you will make a saving; but anything less than 14/year and you will lose out on the current rates. Thortons only work out cheaper if you are having 7 lifts a year, but Access and Citybin are better value for any number.

PS: Getting an insinkerator last year means we produce hardly any organic waste, hence only one lift per month - highly recommended unless everyone jumps on the service charge bandwagon.

* the above rate will be different for the six or so houses that I've ever seen putting out a brown bin - the biggest lump of useless non-biodegradable piece of plastic ever produced for the "environment"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Access or Citybin don't cover my area yet. Sent them both emails hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 december80

Never heard of Access, but will check them out too.

Hi Thorntons charge a 50E annual charge. i live in clondalin and access dont cover my area yet. does anyone have any other recommendations for bins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

What about OZO, they are advertising €135.00 or there abouts. Has anyone any experiance of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

No mention of Panda?

In the DLR area its

€ 64.00 per annum, € 3.20 per lift, € 0.20 per kilo

Just signed up to Access - they don't service our estate yet, but they seem happy with the new business.

Panda actually do service our estate, but thanks to brendanb586's analysis, Access will be cheaper (just) for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Greenstar is cheaper than panda in the dlr area.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm glad I looked at this thread. I only put out my black bin about 3 or 4 times a year so wasn't over-joyed about the annual charge. I'll definitely look into Access.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fimo

Hi all, we closed our account with Greyhound over 3 months ago. We have a substantial credit balance on the account. We've been calling and emailing asking for our money to be refunded and we are getting a total run around!! Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience or advice on how we can get our money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AnneBQ

A rep from Greyhound phoned me in work the other she asked if I'de read their letter, I thought it was some sort of a quiz, thought there might even be a prize... Little did I know it was about charging me more money, I go to a lot of trouble to manage my waste, the charge per lift is high enough without an annual charge on top of it.

The politicians will be delighted the problem is now with a private collector, keeps them out of the firing line.. I would advise emailing your local TD and South County Dublin, at the very least as many of us as possible should change to a cheaper provider. This will never end if we put up with it....

"Waste Collection and Disposal
    South Dublin County Council closes the sale of the black and brown bin waste collection service to Greyhound Recycling & Recovery Limited. South Dublin County Council is happy to announce to all our customers the following: Please click the above for more information
    • There will be no immediate change to existing collection arrangements;
    • Payment methods will remain unchanged;
    • Greyhound has confirmed that it will not increase charges to customers and are seeking to introduce 30% more value to all customers immediately; and
    • The waiver scheme will continue for existing waiver customers for a further 12 months;

From Monday 4th April Greyhound Recycling & Recovery Ltd will take over the scheduled waste collection – the customer’s bin collection days and payment methods will remain the same for customers throughout the South Dublin County Council area. "

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Paschcom

Does Greyhound charge per kilo on top of the rate per lift, so if I have over 20 kilos in the bin, does that mean it could cost a small fortune - just put out bin and could barely move so must be at least 50-60 kilo in it. Who'd have thought babies nappies could weigh so much!
    Do all the other companies mentioned deliver in the Rathfarnham area - I've never seen any of their lorries about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

greyhound will be charging a flat charge of 31cent per KG.
    They say the average bin weighs 20Kg which is bull sh1t IMO. I weighed my nearly full bin and it was 55Kg which would make it a nett weight of 48Kg (as the bin itself is 7Kg) 0.31*48=14.88 per lift
    It was a flat 10.50 for a lift.
    + they lump on an annual service charge of €60 which was not there before.

There new pricing structure is very deceiving and i think a lot of people will be very surprised to see how much a lift is going to cost them with greyhound.

Im going to move to thornthons as they charge €7.50 per lift so at least i know exactly how much its going to cost every couple of weeks.

For the record, its just myself and my wife so were not throwing heavy nappies or objects like that into our bin to make it 55Kg

Paschcom wrote: »
    Does Greyhound charge per kilo on top of the rate per lift, so if I have over 20 kilos in the bin, does that mean it could cost a small fortune - just put out bin and could barely move so must be at least 50-60 kilo in it. Who'd have thought babies nappies could weigh so much!
    Do all the other companies mentioned deliver in the Rathfarnham area - I've never seen any of their lorries about.

All (including Panda) service our estate (D16), except Citybin

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mouseybrown

so whats the general feeling ?? dont pay these charges and move to acess who may still throw this charge on at a later date? im with thornthons and they are looking for 50 euro so i guess because i didnt put this in their account yet my bins wont be emptied this week? regardless of weither i have the 8 euro paid for the lift?? :confused::confused:

I tried to change over to Access or Citybins however while they pass the entrance to my estate, they don't service the estate. So it will be Greyhound for me.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I tried to change over to Access or Citybins however while they pass the entrance to my estate, they don't service the estate. So it will be Greyhound for me.

Did you ask Access? Mine was the first house in our estate to sign up with them - they were delighted, as they said other residents were likely to sign up once they see their trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mouseybrown

just havin a quick look on the access website and they guarentee a price freeze untill spring 2012, do you guys reckon that they will throw this landfill levy on then and maybe a pay per weight system then? really dont know what to do , pay thornthons the 50 and get over it or change to acess and hope for the best!! and juke just wondering how long did it take from point of signing up with access to them delivering your bins ? im due a bi collection this week but if i dont pay thorntons the 50 im sure they wont take my bin :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Greyhound sicken me... I just put 30 quid into my account a couple of weeks before they sent notification of their new annual fee. I religiously separate my waste materials, so only really put the brown and black bins out every 8 weeks or so. Green bin every two weeks. So the new fee really does just seem to be nothing more than a tax.

So I have just signed up with Thorntons (Lucan). Don't fancy my chances of getting my money back from Greyhound.

just havin a quick look on the access website and they guarentee a price freeze untill spring 2012, do you guys reckon that they will throw this landfill levy on then and maybe a pay per weight system then? really dont know what to do , pay thornthons the 50 and get over it or change to acess and hope for the best!! and juke just wondering how long did it take from point of signing up with access to them delivering your bins ? im due a bi collection this week but if i dont pay thorntons the 50 im sure they wont take my bin :mad::mad:

They just re-branded the council bins - I phoned on a Thursday, they did it on Saturday

Did you ask Access? Mine was the first house in our estate to sign up with them - they were delighted, as they said other residents were likely to sign up once they see their trucks.

I rang them and the guy said he didn't think so but that he would ring me back this afternoon after he checked it out. Haven't got a reply yet so I'll give them a buzz tomorrow.

They missed a good opportunity for new business if they had done a flyer campaign in the estates where Greyhound are changing the new fee....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 cupcakes15

Having researched the bin collection market very well last week, i decided to move from Greyhound to City Bins on fri..i was led to this decision by the charge per kilo for both black and brown bins, the complete lack of customer care to a customer who has been loyal to the service for 15 years (including SDCC prior to takeover) and the very unhelpful girl the other end of the phone on fri morn..
    I paid 199 euro upfront to City bin for a years collection, which is a collection every single Tuesday ( Lucan area) of black bin one week and brown and green the next..the brown bin is the same size as the black and green..unlike greyhound little one...also the next day the new bins arrived at my house..very inpressed with the service so far.. as as far as i concerned its a win win situation for me..i think greyhound have shot themselves in the foot!!!

Advertisement