Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options
  • 22-12-2013 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

With the 2013 season over, all eyes have turned to next year. And what a year it's shaping up to be:

- overhaul of technical regulations
    - new tyre development
    - new engines
    - lots of driver moving

A few people have posted some good things about 2014, so I've quoted them below.
    vectra wrote: »
    The BBC has announced which races it will show live in the UK next season and which will be shown exclusively live on Sky Sports.
    Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/140041.html#ROJv0WPoGWfQLYC0.99

2014 division of races between UK broadcasters
    March 16: Australia - Sky Sports
    March 30: Malaysia - Sky Sports and BBC
    April 6: Bahrain - Sky Sports
    April 20: China - Sky Sports
    May 11: Spain - Sky Sports and BBC
    May 25: Monaco - Sky Sports
    June 8: Canada - Sky Sports and BBC
    June 22: Austria - Sky Sports
    July 6: Great Britain - Sky Sports and BBC
    July 20: Germany - Sky Sports
    July 27: Hungary - Sky Sports
    August 24: Belgium - Sky Sports and BBC
    September 7: Italy - Sky Sports and BBC
    September 21: Singapore - Sky Sports
    October 5: Japan - Sky Sports and BBC
    October 12: Russia - Sky Sports and BBC
    November 2: USA - Sky Sports
    November 9: Brazil - Sky Sports
    November 23: Abu Dhabi - Sky Sports and BBC
    Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/140041.html#ROJv0WPoGWfQLYC0.99
    Zcott wrote: »
    Not sure if this should be in an F1 2014 thread, but drivers are starting to choose their numbers, as Motorsport.com says:

After the FIA kicked off the selection process, telling drivers they should name their top three picks between 2-99, it has already emerged that Force India's Sergio Perez has plumped for number 11.

It is believed Fernando Alonso considers 14 to be his lucky number, Jean-Eric Vergne wants the iconic 27, and Nico Rosberg has asked to carry number 6, which was raced to the 1982 title by his father Keke.

Now, adding the hashtag 'Bo77as', Williams driver Valtteri Bottas has told his 49,000 followers on Twitter that he has put down 77 as his first choice.

Felipe Massa has nominated the number 19, but others - like new Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo - aren't saying.
    v10 wrote: »
    Small feature shown today on the F1 2014 1.6 Litre V6 Hybrid Engines :eek:

I know it means my username is well old but what are your thoughts on these ?

272903.png

VIDEO HERE

Broadcasting is split again this year between Sky Sports F1 and the BBC. Schedule is above.

Matt Somerfield created a full overview of next years power train. Larger version available here.
    A3SomersF142014PowerUnit.jpg

Here are a few useful links I've put together. Add any you think are good as well below:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

I seen this image on twitter showing engine changes side by side.

I find it interesting but I think I'll have to reserve judgment until the first race ..

I'll be heading to Jerez at the end of January to see these testing, should be fun.

29vc7s9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

what about setanta thought they had all the races no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

ERS for 33 seconds a lap :eek:
    Thought it was just a name change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

ERS for 33 seconds a lap :eek:
    Thought it was just a name change.

The really annoying thing is the tech is there that it could last the lap and could be permanent rather than a boost. Limiting the time is just another rule to create a false sense of excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hopefully we will hear some news about when next seasons cars will be unveiled soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

GarIT wrote: »
    The really annoying thing is the tech is there that it could last the lap and could be permanent rather than a boost. Limiting the time is just another rule to create a false sense of excitement.

While I agree that it could be permanent, there's a few reasons why it cant be just yet. 1, the MGU-K takes from the braking around the lap, and as it is, there are some tracks where it's difficult to recharge the current KERS battery. 2, this is the first year using this technology and the strain of running it for about a third of the lap is a lot less than running it for a full lap. Perhaps in the future, the rules will allow the MGU-H to run continuously from the turbo but as it is, it will have to run through the MGU-K.

While I agree that it could be permanent, there's a few reasons why it cant be just yet. 1, the MGU-K takes from the braking around the lap, and as it is, there are some tracks where it's difficult to recharge the current KERS battery. 2, this is the first year using this technology and the strain of running it for about a third of the lap is a lot less than running it for a full lap. Perhaps in the future, the rules will allow the MGU-H to run continuously from the turbo but as it is, it will have to run through the MGU-K.

How long has KERS been around now, 5 years? Generally these things become more restricted over time, not less. All the artificial limits on boost pressure, fuel flow, RPM, ERS etc. are really annoying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

From what I've read heat/reliability would be an issue, but that could easily be worked on. It isn't realistic that you could go down a straight with the elec motor on, but it certainly is realistic that the elec motor could be used for all the main accelerating phases. I probably phrased what I said badly when I said the whole lap I more meant the tech is there that every time they put their foot down the elec motor could come on and stay on till maybe 6th gear rather than having a "boost button".

From what I've read heat/reliability would be an issue, but that could easily be worked on. It isn't realistic that you could go down a straight with the elec motor on, but it certainly is realistic that the elec motor could be used for all the main accelerating phases. I probably phrased what I said badly when I said the whole lap I more meant the tech is there that every time they put their foot down the elec motor could come on and stay on till maybe 6th gear rather than having a "boost button".

AFAIK, the MGU-H will automatically send some energy to the drivetrain under acceleration to cut out or reduce turbo lag until the turbo kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

There's also the question of whether the MGU-H unit can actually harness 160kJ each second (in order for the ERS unit to run all the time).

• Advertisement

There's also the question of whether the MGU-H unit can actually harness 160kJ each second (in order for the ERS unit to run all the time).

I doubt that could be achieved in the next 2/3 years and will probably not be allowed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Hopefully after the 1st things should pick up a bit more and we should begin to see some new cars and iterations of them pop up on the net.

Winter can be so bloody boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Its possible, but at what point does it become an electric car. For me, if the car performs most of the acceleration up to 6th gear, its an electric car. Having a boost button limits the use of the electric motor keeping the purists happy. I dont think they are ready for an electric forumla 1 car given the response going back to 1.6l turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Worrying news just breaking about Michael Schumacher. Suffered serious head injury in ski accident:-(

I was worried for a second that it was being run everywhere as breaking news. Bit irresponsible if he wasn't so much as knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Reports now saying that he arrived at Grenoble hospital in a coma and required immediate surgery. Still in a coma. Hospital due to give statement at 11am tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Anyone seen Jean-Eric Vergnes comments about webber, not outlandish, just stating his opinion on why Make left F1.

“He would not even be happy if his team continued to win everything — you have the same car but you’re beaten every weekend by your teammate. You would get tired of that,” he added, “even when you are on the podium.

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/formula-1/f1-webber-got-tired-of-losing-to-vettel-says-vergne/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Anyone seen Jean-Eric Vergnes comments about webber, not outlandish, just stating his opinion on why Make left F1.

“He would not even be happy if his team continued to win everything — you have the same car but you’re beaten every weekend by your teammate. You would get tired of that,” he added, “even when you are on the podium.

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/formula-1/f1-webber-got-tired-of-losing-to-vettel-says-vergne/

I think someone is still bitter about their teammate getting the Red Bull seat...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Shane_ef wrote: »

JEV drives for who again ?! , considering Mark was on his way out of F1 long before Sebs winning streak JEV comments carry very little weight.

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    JEV drives for who again ?! , considering Mark was on his way out of F1 long before Sebs winning streak JEV comments carry very little weight.
    Of course Webber was consistently beating Vettel before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

He is just still very very bitter. Remember the interview with Johnny Herbert during a track walk. Jev was very annoyed he was not given the seat, blaming bad luck and car issues etc.

Three seats left to fill.

I think Marussia will hold onto Chilton for this season. Don't know what will happen at Caterham.

logik wrote: »
    He is just still very very bitter. Remember the interview with Johnny Herbert during a track walk. Jev was very annoyed he was not given the seat, blaming bad luck and car issues etc.

And he wants to use #27....

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Three seats left to fill.

I think Marussia will hold onto Chilton for this season. Don't know what will happen at Caterham.

Hopefully they will make the grid in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Great find, Hamiltons looks more childish or toyish i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Great find, Hamiltons looks more childish or toyish i think.

I'd have said the dials on Hamilton's are easier / quicker to read since you only see the selected digit on the dial not the full set of digits. It sounds like this is something that came from McLaren, McLaren probably spent tens of thousands researching the best dials to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Zcott wrote: »
    I think someone is still bitter about their teammate getting the Red Bull seat...
    Of course Webber was consistently beating Vettel before that.

He might be bitter, but doesn't mean he's wrong.

And it isn't just the second half 'winning streak'. Compare the drivers stats over the last 4 seasons...and see previous posts on reliability comparisons. Aside from Marko I can't see the rest of the senior team (e.g. Newey) or the owner favoured Vettel, so they competed with matching equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think he's particularly far off the mark there. I think Webber would tell you the same thing, but he'd put it another way. I'd say being Vettel's team-mate, much the same as any highly dominant driver's team-mate...isn't too much fun. When you know before the green light shows that unless your team-mate has an issue then it's almost certain the best you'll finish is 2nd...it must get pretty frustrating. I say this as a fan of Mark, & with all due respect to Vettel too...

Advertisement