Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying an apartment in Waterville.

Options
  • 04-09-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi!Does anyone know is Waterville a good place to live.Thinking of getting an apartment there.The local amenities look fine but not sure about the safety.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

There's a good few people that post in this forum regularly who live in the area, I am sure they will be along now shortly to give you some good advice. :)

I do know one person living there, and they think it is fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Akiv89

Hey,people from Waterville!Plz tell me about the advantages and disadvantages of living in the area!Badly need it)Thank you:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

Akiv89 wrote: »
    Hey,people from Waterville!Plz tell me about the advantages and disadvantages of living in the area!Badly need it)Thank you:)

This is very subjective, of course
    Advantages:

Still quite clean apartments (comparing with average standard in Blachardstown)

Good communication (both public transportation and roads - N3, although traffic varies)
    Despite of proximity to N3 no problem with road noise (exept from the locations directly along the Sn. road)

Walking distance to Blanch village/ Blanch SC (but who walks there..)

Nice and still clean green area with fenced facilities for kids

Proximity of aquatic centre

Neutral / Unknown:

all may depend on particular location

high percentage of rent apartments. quite international crowd. anonymity.

Negative:
    For some too high density may be an issue
    problems with parking spaces, vandalism not uncommon
    high maintanace costs
    full bins not being removed for long periods of time around holidays
    mind who is behind the wall/floor, as the sound proofing can be insufficient
    lack of schools (and other facilities)
    The neigbourhood is not too atrractive, but who needs to go there..

Overall the location is the biggest asset, but the apartments are overpriced, imo.

Edit: Safety: not rated... although garda station is just across, they are not too often there.. a car can be burnt without intervention, laud partying in the apartments is also quite tolerated. In case of emergency.. luckily, one can walk to the nearby hospital :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Akiv89

Thanks a lot for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It totally depends on where you buy in Waterville. I would never want to live in Waterville Terrace (density WAY too high), Annagh Court (very heavily rented) or Skelligs Court (not as well maintained as other clusters, horrible double yellow lines painted all over the place).

I would however recommend Aran Court, Garnish Square or Dursey Row. Not too sure about the newer clusters, though I know the ones closer to the hospital have issues with hospital visitors and staff blocking parking spaces.

I live on one of the three clusters I have recommended and am a director of our management company. I know the directors in the other two and can tell you that the negatives mentioned below are not normal issues for those clusters because the directors (all owners, all working for free to ensure the development is a pleasant place to live and own) are very involved.

Management fees vary from cluster to cluster, as does management agent though SPM still have a lot of the clusters. The older clusters have been/are being repainted and I disagree that the place is not attractive. Our bins are collected every Monday even bank holidays so no problems with that.

The new build apartments are much better value than what we paid years ago but they have changed some of the layouts for the worst. The ground floor 2 beds have an arch between the kitchen and living room which creates no barrier for smells. The older units have a kitchen door.
    markas wrote: »
    Negative:
    For some too high density may be an issue
    problems with parking spaces, vandalism not uncommon
    high maintanace costs
    full bins not being removed for long periods of time around holidays
    mind who is behind the wall/floor, as the sound proofing can be insufficient
    lack of schools (and other facilities)
    The neigbourhood is not too atrractive, but who needs to go there..

Overall the location is the biggest asset, but the apartments are overpriced, imo.

Edit: Safety: not rated... although garda station is just across, they are not too often there.. a car can be burnt without intervention, laud partying in the apartments is also quite tolerated. In case of emergency.. luckily, one can walk to the nearby hospital :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

athtrasna wrote: »
    It totally depends on where you buy in Waterville. I would never want to live in Waterville Terrace (density WAY too high), Annagh Court (very heavily rented) or Skelligs Court (not as well maintained as other clusters, horrible double yellow lines painted all over the place).

Agree, there are people who obviously are happily living there!
    I lived there with intention to buy for myself, but gave up. My experience does not cover the new clusters - Achill's and the other... I would look at these. At least they seem to be more private.. If not the fact that the construction looked like abandoned - has anything change there since say, two years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Yeah I'd agree with Athrasna...

I live in Garnish Square and have done for eight years. Well maintained. Quiet. Think Skelligs uses a different management company and it always looks a bit scruffy.
    Where I am we're all owner occupiers and keep keys for each other, without living in pockets. Nice age mix...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Number_5

I own a 3 bed duplex in the 1st phase of Waterville terrace. I bought in early 2006 so have obviously lost a bucket load but apart from that......

I lived there with my wife and young child for 3 years but have since moved abroad to work in the caribbean. I now lease the apartment out to a family.

Overall I have a lot of time for the place. I really enjoyed living there and miss it a small bit. The duplexes in the terrace are great:
    Very safe - a single front door for the apartment and balcony is beyond reach. Very little chance of a break in.
    The apartments are spacious and the balcony is massive.
    Although the apartments a relatively densely populated you overlook a very large park which is a fantastic amenity.
    Great location for transport and general amenities.
    Good rental yield - due to location I have had no problem leasing the place out.

On the negative side:
    The terrace is not a great place to let your kids run around outside. Cars tend to drive in quite quickly so fairly dangerous. When/if we move back to Ireland we will probably look to buy a house is a neighborhood for this reason.

Just to add what I love about Garnish is the fact I have the illusion of a back garden, whilst someone else looks after it.

Bins collected Mondays as commented. Can set watch by the ice cream van at 15.12!

Apartment above my duplex but I can't hear anything. can't hear baby next door crying! Interesting to hear about the arch - I have a door and it is a bit dark in the kitchen...but I like the privacy.

Not sure if you're male or female but I love the amount of wardrobe space...had a house in Ongar before and hated it.

Zipped round to the Spar this morning for papers, breakfast - great.

Accidentally let my front door open going to work one day....not a problem. There is a community guard who comes up a few times a week, and the postman also reports any activity to them. I've never seen a car burnt out! One party in eight years caused a problem, but it was sorted.

I think the problem re traffic on the older apartment side may be when people used the hospital as a cut through to the village but hospital road now closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I rent in Erris Square and have been there for over 3 years now. Honestly, it's a really nice area and extremely quiet. With regards the previous mention of hospital staff and visitors taking spaces I have very rarely seen it happen and I am very close to the road. With the car clamping starting a couple of months ago all of these people parking along the road has pretty much stopped.

+ Very quiet area (I've rented in other areas around Dublin 15 and Waterville is the quietest so far)
    + Really good neighbours
    + Large garden area behind apartment (although shared)
    + Area is VERY clean and maintained on a daily basis including all garden areas
    + Large park within 2 minutes walking distance which is really well maintained also
    + Blanchardstown Village, Shopping Centre, and Hospital within walking distance
    + Close to all of Dublin 15's major bus routes pretty much

- Walls are a bit thin in the apartments which can be an issue if you have noisy neighborus
    - Clampers are a bit of a pain if you have frequent visitors at all as they have to find a visitor parking space or drive to the end of the estate to the Overflow car park

• Advertisement

kyub wrote: »
    - Clampers are a bit of a pain if you have frequent visitors at all as they have to find a visitor parking space or drive to the end of the estate to the Overflow car park

Just to say that parking isn't allocated in all of Waterville. We don't have allocated spaces, it's first come first served. We do however have clamping for those who decide they'd rather park on the path outside the apartments or at gable ends then walk 100m to the nearest space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

athtrasna wrote: »
    Just to say that parking isn't allocated in all of Waterville. We don't have allocated spaces, it's first come first served. We do however have clamping for those who decide they'd rather park on the path outside the apartments or at gable ends then walk 100m to the nearest space.

Yeah, it's first come first served for us too but the clampers can clamp anyone parking in a non-allocated parking space and also anyone who does not display their token/badge showing that they are a resident.

Yeah, it's first come first served for us too but the clampers can clamp anyone parking in a non-allocated parking space and also anyone who does not display their token/badge showing that they are a resident.

Ah, I see. We don't have residents badges or permits - yet. May come in down the line though, it has been discussed at the last two AGMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 casey80

How high are the maintenance fee for apartments at Waterville at the moment?

casey80 wrote: »

It varies from cluster to cluster and depending on apartment size. Some clusters have fountains which are an additional expense to maintain, some have playgrounds which boots the insurance cost, some have lifts which again are expensive to maintain.

Each cluster has it's own management company and budget and therefore fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

With management fee's to consider, I'd encourage people looking to buy in D15 to consider looking around as many estates built in the late 90's are on sale at very good prices and no additional management cost's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I rent in Erris Square and have been there for over 3 years now. Honestly, it's a really nice area and extremely quiet. With regards the previous mention of hospital staff and visitors taking spaces I have very rarely seen it happen and I am very close to the road. With the car clamping starting a couple of months ago all of these people parking along the road has pretty much stopped.

+ Very quiet area (I've rented in other areas around Dublin 15 and Waterville is the quietest so far)
    + Really good neighbours
    + Large garden area behind apartment (although shared)
    + Area is VERY clean and maintained on a daily basis including all garden areas
    + Large park within 2 minutes walking distance which is really well maintained also
    + Blanchardstown Village, Shopping Centre, and Hospital within walking distance
    + Close to all of Dublin 15's major bus routes pretty much

- Walls are a bit thin in the apartments which can be an issue if you have noisy neighborus

+1 to all of this, Erris in my opinion is the nicest estate in Waterville but im biased, followed by Achill. I live in Erris and have done for 5 years and honestly still really like it. The green area is lovely to look out on and you dont feel too hemmed in even for an apartment block. Great neighbours, lovely park around the corner, so close to Blanch SC, village and the Spar is really handy.
    I'm paying ~€950/year for a 2 bed shared door apartment which is very high but i have to say the block and its grounds are meticulously maintained. We get regular contact from SPM the Mgt Co. and have had very little issues to go to them about over the years.

Parking is fine for me and always have one directly outside my apt and am right next to the overflow so its never an issue for visitors.

I would buy a duplex over an apartment in Erris again if i could as they're fairly spacious, but overall i dont regret buying in Waterville at all. Good area, location,management co.,neighbours and it's quiet. I cant complain :p

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

anniehoo wrote: »
    I'm paying ~€950/year for a 2 bed shared door apartment which is very high but i have to say the block and its grounds are meticulously maintained. We get regular contact from SPM the Mgt Co. and have had very little issues to go to them about over the years.

€950/year? I think that's great value.... or we are being scam by out management company. We pay €1600/year also in Waterville. The building and areas are well maintained and cleaned... and they are responsive when contacted.
    I always thought it was a lot to pay though but I didn't have anything to compare with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 casey80

fptosca wrote: »
    €950/year? I think that's great value....

is it really? I know people who pay 600-700 euros for detached houses, never mention apartments.
    950 euros is extremely expensive as far as I'm concerned

The fee includes rubbish collection, building insurance. cleaning and maintenance of building, gardens and carpark. Basically that's it. Would you know what's included in the fee for detached houses?

• Advertisement

is it really? I know people who pay 600-700 euros for detached houses, never mention apartments.
    950 euros is extremely expensive as far as I'm concerned

Fees for houses would generally be less than apartments. A house owner owns their house so they pay to insure their house, the bricks and mortar of an apartment block are insured by the management company. Similarly the management company would be responsible for maintaining the common areas in a shared entrance unit as the poster who gave the €950 lives in. That's regular cleaning of common areas, lighting of same and fire alarm maintenance.

To the poster that said their fees in Waterville were €1600 - do you live in a phase with lifts? Maintenance costs for lifts are horrendous and may explain that huge variation in fees.

I live in neither of those clusters, I think a 2 bed in ours is around the €850 range but not certain.

yes we've got a lift on our building. I'll check the accounts to verify how much do we pay for its maintenance.

€950/year? I think that's great value.... or we are being scam by out management company. We pay €1600/year also in Waterville. The building and areas are well maintained and cleaned... and they are responsive when contacted.
    I always thought it was a lot to pay though but I didn't have anything to compare with.
    :eek: Wow that's extortionate. I thought the apartments paid the highest amount of management fees out of all of the property types. Yes lifts will add a serious premium but not almost double of what im paying. That's crazy money OP.

according to the accounts Lift Maintenance was €5,260 for the year. Other big charges were €7,800 for Cleaning/Caretaker/Materials, €8,832 Management Fee and €9,355 Insurance Block/Engineering, €4,625 Gardening / Landscaping, €6,900 Sinking Fund.

I know comparing different buildings is not accurate but, to get an idea, is anybody paying significantly less for anything of the above?

according to the accounts Lift Maintenance was €5,260 for the year. Other big charges were €7,800 for Cleaning/Caretaker/Materials, €8,832 Management Fee and €9,355 Insurance Block/Engineering, €4,625 Gardening / Landscaping, €6,900 Sinking Fund.

I know comparing different buildings is not accurate but, to get an idea, is anybody paying significantly less for anything of the above?

Those amounts sound cheap in most cases, and it really doesn't sound like enough money is being put into the sinking fund at all which is worrying.The MUD act suggests that €200 per unit is put into the sinking fund per year. Particularly given that you have lists, I'd be worried about fees being increased massively to make up a shortfall.

thanks athtrsana. So the amounts are reasonable then....
    €6,900 for sinking fund is almoost €200 per apartment so that looks right as well. It has been used only for minor things since it was created. I believe it has added up to a decent amount by now.

Even with the lift maintenance taken into account i still dont see how you're paying €1600 month. I would be physically broke if i had to pay that on top of my mortgage. Surely all of the contracts are standard across all of Waterville, so im struggling to see where the huge difference is coming from.

I pay just over 900 euro for a house in waterville

anniehoo wrote: »
    Even with the lift maintenance taken into account i still dont see how you're paying €1600 month. I would be physically broke if i had to pay that on top of my mortgage. Surely all of the contracts are standard across all of Waterville, so im struggling to see where the huge difference is coming from.

They're not. Because all the clusters aren't the same. The structures are different, particularly in Waterville Terrace. Lifts, fountains, playgrounds all bring additional costs to run, maintain and insure. The non-tower clusters have similar leases but from Dursey Row onwards, the leases were changed to allow fee calculations based on services rather than a general percentage of the budget. We got legal advice to see if we could change our leases to do that but unfortunately we can't as our phase was built before Dursey.

• Advertisement

yep but so was mine - I live in Garnish Square that was built before Dursey. PM me if you want

Advertisement