Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Timmyctc wrote: »
    He said that they would do a sequel inthe same universe with different characters or there were rumors of a prequel set some time in the 20 years between infection and TLoU.

Yeah look how good those games were in their first iteration. They only got better in each iteration. I do believe Uncharted 2 was one of the highest rated games ever.

The bolded part is your problem really. If everyone would be happy to see a sequel and we know Naughty Dog are more than capable of writing powerful sequels (See Uncharted 2,3 and latter iterations of Jak and Daxter) then not doing a sequel is a bit silly. TBH at first they didn't say outright there wouldn't be a sequel they gave a non answer and hinted at a sequel in the same universe with different characters saying Joel and Ellies story had likely finished.

Also you could do well to avoid the shorthand "EA and ACTIVISION are evil!" argument out of it. Its hardly pertinent to the point. They make sequels of games that sell well and have a demand for sequels. Its hardly poor form given the nature of their job.

He initially said the game wouldn't be developed upon that Jak would be the next title they work on after uncharted. Then changed his mind to say they were looking at different characters in the same universe. Then they decided on a movie. Now they're saying there's a sizeable chance there'll be a direct sequel with Joel and Ellie back.

Also Jak and Uncharted weren't amazing initially. Whereas we possibly already hit the plateau with TLOU. There's a reasonable possibility they'll make an average sequel.

I just dont see a need for it. The movie is bad enough. Getting a bit fed up of developers just making a new iteration of the same game when its not really needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The movie hasn't been released yet so i don't know upon what basis you venture to label it such. If you meant the concept of it is bad, again, that's down to how its produced and handled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Just finished it, genuinely sad it's all over. At least I still have the Left Behind DLC to play.

It stood up to the hype for me, terrific game.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Smithy2306

Awesome game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Sure Naughty Dog are great at spin offs, loved Crash Team Racing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

In the multiplayer which I have just started playing whats the deal with the 'Week 1; Day 3' thing? Also, any advice for a beginner, which class or weapons to use or is one game mode better than any other? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭C14N

Kirby wrote: »
    the bottom line is they are a business and no business passes up free money.

But they made a load of money from making an original IP, why not make another load of money by telling Druckman and co to go and make another new IP?

TLOU was great because it's gameplay and approach to storytelling was different and fresh. The universe itself wasn't anything special and the story of the characters wrapped up perfectly. Any originality from the original will inherently be gone in a sequel and it will be far less exciting. What's worst of all is that this brilliant team who were so creative last time will end up stuck in this sequel box and there are so many great ideas they could have gone with that will end up never being fulfilled now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Because new IP's are a risk. Anybody who tells you otherwise is a fool. Why take a risk when you don't need to? No business is going to do that. A new IP risks millions of dollars where as a TLOU sequel is a banker.

There is a reason why we are up to Uncharted 4 you know........

I'm not saying Naughty Dog wont create a new game. Of course they will. But they will likely create it coinciding with a "banker" like a Last of Us sequel.....the same way they created the original Last of Us while making another Uncharted. It insulates the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    In the multiplayer which I have just started playing whats the deal with the 'Week 1; Day 3' thing? Also, any advice for a beginner, which class or weapons to use or is one game mode better than any other? Thanks

The multiplayer has a 12 week cycle where you try to build as big a clan as possible by doing well in multiplayer and earning "parts".

I'd recommend the silenced semi assault rifle, covert training 3 and the shotgun as a purchasable weapon.

Kirby wrote: »
    Because new IP's are a risk. Anybody who tells you otherwise is a fool. Why take a risk when you don't need to? No business is going to do that. A new IP risks millions of dollars where as a TLOU sequel is a banker.

There is a reason why we are up to Uncharted 4 you know........

I'm not saying Naughty Dog wont create a new game. Of course they will. But they will likely create it coinciding with a "banker" like a Last of Us sequel.....the same way they created the original Last of Us while making another Uncharted. It insulates the company.

Everything is a risk, there are sequels that bomb too. The point is that for Naughty Dog, it's not a very big risk, whatever they put out will do well as long as the quality is there. They also aren't in a particularly worrisome position financially since they have the support and marketing of Sony to help them out. Whatever they make, they will get top billing at shows like E3 and tons of press coverage for months before release. There are only a handful of devs with the power to do that (Valve and Nintendo being others) and Naughty Dog is one of them.

• Advertisement

C14N wrote: »
    Everything is a risk, there are sequels that bomb too. The point is that for Naughty Dog, it's not a very big risk, whatever they put out will do well as long as the quality is there. They also aren't in a particularly worrisome position financially since they have the support and marketing of Sony to help them out. Whatever they make, they will get top billing at shows like E3 and tons of press coverage for months before release. There are only a handful of devs with the power to do that (Valve and Nintendo being others) and Naughty Dog is one of them.

Well if you're so confident in Naughty Dog's ability then what are you afraid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Got a PS4 today and TLOU Remastered. I've finished it twice already and the DLC on the PS3 but I had to get it again.

Will start it later, I know what I'm getting with the game so I'm just hoping to be blown away by the visuals.

Well if you're so confident in Naughty Dog's ability then what are you afraid of?

That they'll be stuck churning out more sequels instead of getting to make something new?

That they'll be stuck churning out more sequels instead of getting to make something new?

But if theyre as good as you make out the sequel will be amazing. Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Started it on PS4. Good God, it's eye-meltingly beautiful.

That Sarah scene though :( Feels all over again.

But if theyre as good as you make out the sequel will be amazing. Nothing to worry about.

I said they're good at making new things and pushing boundaries. Any sequels are inherently not going to do that because they're bogged down in following the same routine and general story as their predecessor.

Look at it this way, if I go to a restaurant and get a slice of apple pie for desert, even if that's some of the best pie I've ever had, I'd still rather try a different desert by the same chef next time instead of just getting apple pie three times in a row and that still holds true even if the pie gets incrementally better each time by adding ice cream or strawberries. Even if the other deserts can't quite reach the same high as the pie, at least they've got a chance and regardless, they're definitely still going to be really good because the person making them is very talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Uncharted 2 being an exception. Exceeded the first game in every way imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Uncharted 2 being an exception. Exceeded the first game in every way imo.

Also Assassin's Creed II. But in both of those cases, it was more a case of the first game having a great idea that wasn't fully executed.

Would much rather TLOU was left as it is, and Naughty Dog apply their chops to another genre/setting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I've little doubt that their will be another game in the last of us universe, probably wont happen for another 3-4 yrs though (not before they come up with a killer arc/script) and I reckon they'll leave joel and ellie's story as is, done, finito.

Also Assassin's Creed II. But in both of those cases, it was more a case of the first game having a great idea that wasn't fully executed.

I definitely think that's true of Assassin's Creed 2. It was more a case of the original game being rushed to release and ending up fairly average and it wasn't until the sequel that they actually got to release a more polished version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

My birthday is approaching in 2 weeks, my sis said she'd get me a PS4 game.
    Which should I go for:

Shadow of Mordor (I like Batman games and LOTR)
    Alien Isolation (never played an Alien game)
    TLOU Remaster (never played original, I liked new Tomb Raider and Uncharted Series)
    Diablo 3 Ultimate Edition (I like couch co-op and BL2)

(I'll already definitely be getting Far Cry 4 as i have a €5 pre-order against it)

Sorry for repeat posts in each thread, I didn't want to create a decicated thread for something so small

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Cormac... wrote: »
    TLOU Remaster (never played original, I liked new Tomb Raider and Uncharted Series)

I have played 3 out of the 4 games you mentioned (all fine choices either way), but I would go with the Last Of Us. Its a brilliant game, but while it share mechanic similarities to Uncharted, its a very different type of game btw, so be aware of that. Its far darker than Uncharted, and is very bleak, but well worth playing imho.

Which should I go for:

(I'll already definitely be getting Far Cry 4 as i have a €5 pre-order against it)

Sorry for repeat posts in each thread, I didn't want to create a decicated thread for something so small

I would go. In this order

TLOU
    Shadow of Mordor
    Alien Isolation
    Diablo 3

Tlou is something that can't be missed imo and if you like Uncharted in terms of cinematic and gameplay elements, TLoU is a step up in them regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I seen a deal to get this on the American network for cheap enough but can't find the link, psn is down for me so can't check but I'm pretty sure you had to go through a link to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I just picked up a second hand copy of this yesterday and I can't get it to load. After googling it appears to be common enough.

It's getting to the "Loading xx.xx%" screen and getting stuck. Then the one time I managed to get it going the game itself was buggy as fcuk.

I downloaded the firmware update twice, then ran it without the update but it didn't run properly on any attempt.

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Should I just return it?

Sorry if this has been covered in the thread but I didn't want to read through and spoiler the whole lot for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭jones

Never experiened that issue mate. I say just bring it back - is there any scratch on the disk?

Which should I go for:

Just gonna say that TLOU is very different to Uncharted or Tomb Raider. The only similarity really is the over-the-shoulder perspective. For the most part, it plays like a stealth game with bits of survival-horror.
    Essien wrote: »
    Should I just return it?

Sorry if this has been covered in the thread but I didn't want to read through and spoiler the whole lot for myself.

I'd bring it back if it was me. Disc problems aren't usually the kind of thing you can fix yourself.

Just gonna say that TLOU is very different to Uncharted or Tomb Raider. The only similarity really is the over-the-shoulder perspective. For the most part, it plays like a stealth game with bits of survival-horror.

Its not really that diff from UC though. Same/Similar engine so controls all handle very similarly. Heavier focus on stealth granted but the cover shooting is still there. UI is quite simillar and in true Naughty Dog fashion it has some great Set Pieces and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

Its not really that diff from UC though. Same/Similar engine so controls all handle very similarly. Heavier focus on stealth granted but the cover shooting is still there. UI is quite simillar and in true Naughty Dog fashion it has some great Set Pieces and that.

Slightly off topic..Tim did you get the PS4 / TLOU Remaster yet?

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Slightly off topic..Tim did you get the PS4 / TLOU Remaster yet?

No. Went for a gaming pc first :P Gonna get PS4 at a later date. Maybe for UC. Although could be sooner ;)

Advertisement