Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underrated classic games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Two games that I enjoyed back in the day :

Severence : Blade of Darkness (PC)
    Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver (PS1)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Two games that I enjoyed back in the day :

Severence : Blade of Darkness (PC)

Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver (PS1)

Severence was never really under-rated though ..It's an all time classic.
    Wish they would do a HD Remastering of it.

Is it? Didnt realise. I dont play PC games that much so wouldnt know anything about them to be honest. I just remember playing thinking "this isnt half bad..and it only cost 4.99 !!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I dont play PC games that much so wouldnt know anything about them to be honest. I just remember playing thinking "this isnt half bad..and it only cost 4.99 !!" :)

There's a quote that sums up PC gaming pretty well IMHO :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

With Codemasters more than likely owning the IP, the chances of that happening are somewhere between slim and none.

On the upside, the original developers, Rebel Act Studios, became MercurySteam who went on to develop the rather excellent Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. While it's different to Severance in many ways it's still a pretty excellent and challenging third person action adventure. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There may be an misunderstanding of "underrated"
    I suppose there are those games that no on in your circle played, in my case quite a few as gamers were thinner on the ground back in the early 80's, so we might be thinking of Star Control 2, a well received game but not well known outside of 3DO fandom and even then it's format as a 2D space battle/rpg made it not on the wave of 3D shooty-ness, maybe others like Rage as mentioned, but that was a big release with massive marketing behind it but it compared poorly to Fallout 3, it's closest equivalent, despite having a very similar premise though with FPS/Driving front and centre. Fallout 3 was superior though with it's customisability and expansions imho, but Rage was never underrated I reckon, still a decent game though.
    Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom is the epitome of an underrated title, it didn't have a big push behind it, few people heard of it yet those that own it love it, in general, and it's a cracking game with some interesting mechanics, many of which people imagined might also be seen in The Last Guardian, a game that never turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Danonino. wrote: »
    Body Harvest was epic at the time.
    Fighting Force. I think it was called, an early PS1 streets of rage/final fight but 3d job, I remember it being great fun.
    Conan on the 360/PS3 was actually a brilliant slash em up with boobies and still plays great today.
    Rocky on the cube/ps2/Xbox was also fantastic.
    Eternal Darkness is one of my top 10 memorable games, loved it.
    Astro Boy on the GBA was proper brilliant too.
    Sonic Rush on the DS, probably the only sonic game I enjoyed since the megadrive days. SHOX (ea big) haven't played it since it was released but remember this being something special, off to find a copy now :D

'(

Definitely agree about Rocky on the Gamecube. Had some epic battles with a mate at this game. I remember picking it up for €10 not too long after it came out.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Every time I go to post something here I get cold feet cause someone will invariably interject and go "that wasn't underrated, it was a classic, and was considered a commercial success for the time cause of these sales figures"

But sure I'll give it a go:
    Rage
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There may be an misunderstanding of "underrated"
    maybe others like Rage as mentioned, but that was a big release with massive marketing behind it but it compared poorly to Fallout 3, it's closest equivalent, despite having a very similar premise though with FPS/Driving front and centre. Fallout 3 was superior though with it's customisability and expansions imho, but Rage was never underrated I reckon, still a decent game though.

I told you :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well something can hardly be underrated if it sold really well and was critically well received like Rage.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well something can hardly be underrated if it sold really well and was critically well received like Rage.

It was only €20 within days/weeks of launch, hence the well selling, everyone i knew and their dog got a copy of Rage that christmas :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Tombi is the most underrated platformer n the history of everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tombi is the most underrated platformer n the history of everything.

I don't know about that. Klonoa has a good shout for that as well but yeah it's well up there.

Everyone played and loved the demo but nobody bought it.

I don't know about that. Klonoa has a good shout for that as well but yeah it's well up there.

Everyone played and loved the demo but nobody bought it.

I was one of those people :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Legend of the dragoon PS1
    Stronghold Crusader PC
    Crash Team Racing PS1 (Not underrated at all really but forgotten about too early imo)

I'd like to add Megaman Legends and the two sequels Megaman Legends 2 and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne. MML still looks gorgeous and it's the closest videogames have ever come to replicating a Studio Ghibli film. It's pretty much an Ocarina of time and it uses a control scheme very similar to Ocarina of Time... except it came out a good few months before Ocarina of Time. Critics were quite harsh on it at the time since they didn't really get what type of game it was until Ocarina of Time came out and it was mostly ignored by consumers. It's only now getting recognised as a classic. I'd go so far as to say MML2 is a far, far better game than Ocarina of Time.

Stronghold Crusader PC
    Crash Team Racing PS1 (Not underrated at all really but forgotten about too early imo)

Oh UOH!!! Retr0 not going to be happy

I was one of those people :(

Me too. The price of it now sickens me!

That game reviewed badly on release for one reason, it sucked. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it wasn't dealt with harsh enough since it was released at a time when all RPGs got decent marks no matter how bad. Thrash like LoD and Beyond the Beyond managed to score in the 6-7 range. It's pretty much up there with Beyond the Beyond as the worst RPG on the PS1 for me.

As for Crash Team Racing, it was always seen as a half decent Mario Kart clone but nothing special, it's only recently that people have been claiming it's an amazing game. It's decent enough it it isn't that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Me too. The price of it now sickens me!

That game reviewed badly on release for one reason, it sucked. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it wasn't dealt with harsh enough since it was released at a time when all RPGs got decent marks no matter how bad. Thrash like LoD and Beyond the Beyond managed to score in the 6-7 range. It's pretty much up there with Beyond the Beyond as the worst RPG on the PS1 for me.

As for Crash Team Racing, it was always seen as a half decent Mario Kart clone but nothing special, it's only recently that people have been claiming it's an amazing game. It's decent enough it it isn't that great.

It didn't receive that bad of a reception from most critics tbf. I think it was tough at the time for it to make an impression with FF9 coming out just before it and FF10 coming out a few months after it, it was easily lost in the mix as it fails in comparison to both of them games.

It certainly wasn't anything special but i really enjoyed it and felt it had great potential, just my take, i understand the hate.

CTR got amazing reviews and rightfully so, again it had the problem of being so similar to Mario Kart but imo it blows Mario out of the water. I'm not a fan of Crash,spyro etc or of racing games in particular but there was something about CTR that i just loved, i lost/sold it prob around 03 and bought it again in 06 to see if i'd still enjoy it and it was just as good as i remembered.

Lost/sold that prob 08ish and bought it on psn last year, still play the thing to this day. As for the recent praise? I don't know anything about that I've always sung it's praises.

Not familiar with Crusader?

Defenders of Oasis on the Gamegear...
    Probably the first game that got me into RPG's and possibly one of the best soundtracks to a game ever, I can still remember the theme tune 20 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

DOn;t know how people felt about them but Smash TV and Greendog were two of my favourites form the Sega

• Advertisement

Smash tv is a well known classic although the on,y real way to play it is in the arcade with twin sticks. Green dog on the other gand, that game was awful, so bloody slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Smash tv is a well known classic although the on,y real way to play it is in the arcade with twin sticks. Green dog on the other gand, that game was awful, so bloody slow!

That actually sounds class for Smash Hits, Im actually tempted to dig out the megadrive and see if I can finish it.

Greendog, I always thought was cool, even if I was a bit freaked out by the character and enemy designs. I was fairly young at the time.

Pretty sure it's on psn and xbla although t might have even taken down in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 el pibe

Some great shouts on here.

Underrated is one of those perennialy difficult qulalities to quantify. Shenmue was critically lauded, but only thrree of us owned a dreamcast so I reckon it serves ;)

Agree with Eternal Darkness, totally overlooked at the time. Something of a flawed masterpiece, but got closer to that lovecraftian feeling than most survival horror with their flickering neon lighting (hell, my utitlity room does that to me all the time) and cat out of the cupboard scares.

Noone has mentioned ICO yet. Criminally ignored by the buying public despite rave reviews and to date one of my most satisfying gaming experiences.

Wopuld also agree with Tenchu, yeaaaah there were a couple of control issues, but it was unfairly maligned considering how right it got most everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 el pibe

and just to contradict myself re flickering lights and cheap scares, Outlast didn't really register as well as it deserved.

ooh, Amnesia Dark Descent is another unknown classic, scary FPS with no gun, eek. Although the scariest thing was the damned control system when tring to open or close a door whilst being chased by a monster....grrrr....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Black. An awesome but very short FPS on PS2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-HR6Q6hxdE

I really did not like Black. Got very good reviews on release. I found it very dull and one note. It looked good but it was just so repetitive and mindless and nit mindles in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

It's hard to define underrated really. Would it be a game critically lauded but ignored by the gaming populace, or something that got critically panned but developed a cult following?

I'd like to say Bushido Blade for the PS1 because I've never actually met anyone who's heard of it, let alone played it, and I haven't heard it mentioned in years. But on release it got great reviews and sold quite well if memory serves.

A few other PS1 gems I've rarely heard mentioned since the turn of the millennium:
    Exhumed I really enjoyed, it was a FPS set in Egypt and was insanely difficult (for me anyway), I think I gave up after getting lost repeatedly!

Spider was the imaginatively titled game where you played... as a spider. It was an interesting little platformer but took a lot of getting used to given that you could walk upside down on surfaces. You were essentially the arachnid equivalent of Rose McGowan in grindhouse, adding weapons onto your legs to defeat other spiders and the like.

Blood Lines and Dead Ball Zone were both games that were nothing special in single player but great fun with a friend.
    Blood Lines is hard to describe, you were in an arena where the aim is to light up a set amount of orbs, but you can only light them up once you have attacked your opponent. If he attacks you back then he gains the ability to light up said orbs, and back and forth it goes. Bad description but there you go.
    Dead Ball Zone was a futuristic sports game except you could pull out assault rifles and chainsaws or even blow the ball up if the opposing team had it. Lots of fun!

The likes of Bushido Blade or Exhumed would definitely not be underrated or under appreciated. They might not be popular now but They are well loved by retrogame fans and were very popular on release.

• Advertisement

Every damn time :pac:

Advertisement