Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lightnet High Speed Wireless Broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

Marlow wrote: »
    Show me one person (residential), that'll fork out the money to get a connection like that. What exists and what is feasable are 2 different things. The 17 and 24 GHz unlicensed bands aren't scalable for mass deployment. And for Dublin, Comreg allready has made restrictions of their usage.

By just linking to stuff like that out of context without explaining what it is, you'll give people a false sense of what's realistically feasable.

Again, I was just pointing out the fact that they exist, and it seems like you're looking for a debate, which I am not up for. I am just pointing out the fact that they exist.

I wouldn't rate them. But that's personal preference. There's a lot of better and more flexible gear out there.

/M
    I use them for point to point links, find them very reliable. I have nothing to compare them to, but they're fast, they're reliable, and they just work, so I am happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Marlow wrote: »

So now calculate the cost for installing it .. I'd reckon retail around 7000 EUR.......................................

/M

In case someone wants a speedy link to the calving shed :

http://bit.ly/1kyatLr Price: 2.181,20€

1.4+ Gbps, aggregate throughput and 13+ km in range

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

gctest50 wrote: »
    http://bit.ly/1kyatLr Price: 2.181,20€

1.4+ Gbps, aggregate throughput and 13+ km in range

I was talking about their cpe solutions:

8xBCJ.png

8xBDS.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

Having trouble with ripple com and need leave. In lisdoonvarna area of north clare. Salesman trying convince me it good for online gaming.surely not being satellite broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

brady12 wrote: »
    Having trouble with ripple com and need leave. In lisdoonvarna area of north clare. Salesman trying convince me it good for online gaming.surely not being satellite broadband?

Gaming over Satellite BB is just a non runner, espically if you are talking FPS games.

If you are looking to get out of contract you have to contact them first and if they don't resolve the issue then you can contact Comreg and state that the service is not fit for purpose even though Ripplecom told you it was. Comreg will then take your case onboard and more than likely have your contract terminated with no cost to you for such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

You'd be as well start your own thread, this one is about lighthouse networks, not ripplecom

Satellite is completely useless for gaming (other than online chess)

Sorry forgot include fact lightnet I'm talking about,are they not satellite broadband? Sales rep on phone telling me the service good for it, surely not? Thought be high pings. He claims himself he has no issues playing online

Also I'm only around half a mile from mast,that a benefit with speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Sorry forgot include fact lightnet I'm talking about,are they not satellite broadband? Sales rep on phone telling me the service good for it, surely not? Thought be high pings. He claims himself he has no issues playing online

Lightnet are not Satellite Broadband. They have fibre and line of sight (wimax) broadband.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Lightnet are not Satellite Broadband. They have fibre and line of sight (wimax) broadband.

Ok so last question.would you recommend them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Ok so last question.would you recommend them?

Personally, no i would not.
    I was a customer for a year approx. Constantly had issues with the connection going to sh1t in the evening - regardless of weather conditions, and with perfect line of sight to the mast.

Support was truly awful, never called me back whenever i left a voicemails.
    Email responses were rare, but when they did respond via email it was the same old guff... we're looking into it blah blah.

They appear to cap your download speed also - i know they have fair usage policy, but if you download a file from the internet it seems to be capped at approx 140kbps - regardless of what package you're on.
    I tested this on both the 4MB and 6MB pack and same download speed when downloading files from the net.

Things may have improved in the past year - but i wouldn't be going back to them any time soon.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Personally, no i would not.
    I was a customer for a year approx. Constantly had issues with the connection going to sh1t in the evening - regardless of weather conditions, and with perfect line of sight to the mast.

Support was truly awful, never called me back whenever i left a voicemails.
    Email responses were rare, but when they did respond via email it was the same old guff... we're looking into it blah blah.

They appear to cap your download speed also - i know they have fair usage policy, but if you download a file from the internet it seems to be capped at approx 140kbps - regardless of what package you're on.
    I tested this on both the 4MB and 6MB pack and same download speed when downloading files from the net.
    Things may have improved in the past year - but i wouldn't be going back to them any time soon.

Can't be much worse then cowboys I with now. Any alternatives in your opinion? Told me my access point is new and fact that it only half a mile from house aswel makes me willing chance them. 3other access points around hopefully contention won't be a problem.liked fact lad on phone gave me his own mobile number aswel if iv any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Bumping this thread.

I've been looking into getting LightNet and have an engineer coming in the next few days to test connection. Primarily I will be using for gaming. Is this still impossible?

Currently with Vodafone on a 4mb package which is very inconsistent and I get ping of around 100, can be as low as 80. Congestion is a huge problem with ping spikes as soon as someone opens an application on their phone for example. They frustrated me too by taking 2 months to replace a faulty router that they insisted wasn't their fault until on 5th attempt I got a replacement.

Is LightNet worth the switch? I'd like to know ASAP, I'd cancel before the test which is €35 without the installation.

If it's going to be a satellite BB system then it'll be of no use for gaming as you need good latency.

FWA BB is great for gaming, provided the isp is of good quality. My isp uses a FWA system and it's perfect. Latency of 15ms and a constant 8MB, which is the max speed. No lag during gaming

What ISP are you using? I'd like to find an alternative but high latency with LightNet rules it out.

Eurona.

Have a look at irelandoffline.org and see what's available in your area

Ah ok. LightNet doesn't even show up on that map. Airwire does but I've not heard good stories from there either. Perhaps staying with Vodafone is the best/only option. I gave Eurona a call but they are nowhere near us, I think the 100% coverage in Ireland they advertise is a bit of an exaggeration as they only seem to be in Roscommon and Mayo?! Maybe some day they will make it to Galway.

They do 100 % of Ireland, but only through satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ryehilllad

Any one still with Lightnet thinking about going with them would appreciate an update on what they are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ryehilllad wrote: »
    Any one still with Lightnet thinking about going with them would appreciate an update on what they are like?

Am in the process of moving from lightnet to. Vodafone dsl.

New pricing plans not attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

ryehilllad wrote: »

with them nearly 3 years, miles better than my previous isp but im restricted to only two where I live which is about 3 miles from you

I think they are pretty good and when there are problems they are always quick to return your calls and let you know when things are good again
    pricing is a bit steep and you wouldnt want to be downloading boxsets or the likes
    i have 3mb/1mb up and it tends to me 2-2.5mb most of the time sadly and in the past couple of months it hasnt been great overall

am thinking of upgrading to 5mb for 45pm and this is the max I can get where I live but that also means an 18 month contract which is plain ridiculous but at the rate broadband rollout is progressing it'll probably be 10 years before I see decent speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

I recently upgraded but they only tied me in for another 3 months, might be a deal for existing customers.

mailburner wrote: »
    with them nearly 3 years, miles better than my previous isp but im restricted to only two where I live which is about 3 miles from you

I think they are pretty good and when there are problems they are always quick to return your calls and let you know when things are good again
    pricing is a bit steep and you wouldnt want to be downloading boxsets or the likes
    i have 3mb/1mb up and it tends to me 2-2.5mb most of the time sadly and in the past couple of months it hasnt been great overall

am thinking of upgrading to 5mb for 45pm and this is the max I can get where I live but that also means an 18 month contract which is plain ridiculous but at the rate broadband rollout is progressing it'll probably be 10 years before I see decent speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

funnyname wrote: »
    I recently upgraded but they only tied me in for another 3 months, might be a deal for existing customers.

you really cant win living in a rural area

am on 3mb which is unlimited
    was about to move to 5mb today but didnt realise there was an 80gb cap on it
    went through my data month by month and most was 102gb in march and generally its between 80-90gb
    they want an extra fiver for and extra 50gb
    whilst I probably need the extra speed it I really feel like they are screwing folks which is easy when there aren't any other viable options i suppose

worth keeping in mind for anyone thinking of joining up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

mailburner wrote:
    whilst I probably need the extra speed it I really feel like they are screwing folks which is easy when there aren't any other viable options i suppose
    aye, have expressed a similar opinion in this other thread

They really are taking the p1ss with this new 80GB cap. Dont forget they can also subject your cap to their "fair" use policy.

Advertisement