Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running/biking in salthill

Options
  • 26-01-2009 4:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there
    I am moving to Galway in the summer from Oz and am a keen runner and road cyclist (amateur triathlete really).
    I am looking to live somewhere to allow me to step out my door and go for a run or a bike ride (10-20k) with relative ease. Salthill seems the logical place for this as it as it is on the sea. Am i right?
    Cheers Guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Salthill would be a good location as you could go west to run / cycle and be along the coast the whole time, also it's close to town and is one of the few suburbs of the city with amenities. A word of warning. I used to cycle a lot until I moved to Galway over a year ago but since living in Galway I've used my bike about 5 times because
    1) Drivers here are the worst in the world.
    2) Roads here are ****e.
    3) It rains 362 days a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

I live in Salthill and am an aspiring triathlete. It is a good location for running/cycling for the reasons mentioned by dafunk.

You have the sea on your doorstep and the Leisureland pool for your swimming. You're about a 10 minute cycle from the University, which has an athletics track and a new gym/pool.

Now some negatives.
    dafunk wrote: »
    2) Roads here are ****e.

I have to agree with that. I don't cycle as much as I would like, mainly because of the weather and also the standard of driving here is truly awful. I know that cyclists regularly encounter inconsiderate drivers in all cities/towns, but I do find myself being extra vigilant when cycling around Galway city after having a couple of close calls with moronic drivers.

Also, get used to dodging the dog sh1te around Salthill when out for a run. It's a popular spot for people to walk their dogs, but cleaning up after them is not so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

www.westcoastwheelers.com is a cycling club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

still, no harm in being optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cole wrote: »
    I have to agree with that. I don't cycle as much as I would like, mainly because of the weather
    I thought the weather meant nothing to triathletes? Sure ye'll be going swiming anyway why is the rain an issue.

There's allot of hills around Galway, I would assume they'd be great for building up your cycling and running.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Does not rain 362 days of the year
    We had 3 weeks of no rain in December and also there was a dry spell in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ScumLord wrote: »
    There's allot of hills around Galway,

I presume you mean further out in the county. A few rises in the city, but you'd hardly call 'em "hills", even I can walk up 'em and barely notice that I'm going uphill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Salthill would be a good location as you could go west to run / cycle and be along the coast the whole time, also it's close to town and is one of the few suburbs of the city with amenities. A word of warning. I used to cycle a lot until I moved to Galway over a year ago but since living in Galway I've used my bike about 5 times because
    2) Roads here are ****e.

1) Like majority of Galways cyclists that do not think traffic lights apply to them.
    2) True
    3) In all my years of commuting by bike id miss on average 3 days per month due to rain. If there is a 10 minute shower in the day it doesn't mean the whole day is pissy. People in Galway can be right hermits, just look at the promenade, a grey sky or a hint of moisture in the air and its dead, a blue sky and the fat asses come out in droves. If it rains so much that you can't get out just buy some rain gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tallaght24

Thanks for the advice.Sounds like Salthill is about the best of a bad lot.
    Coming form dedicated cycling lanes and 30km forest bike paths in 20-30 degrees and lowest rainfall in years-might need the rain gear advice.
    Last question with all the negativity about the drivers and cyclist dangers is it feasible/practical/safe to bike from Salthill to UCHG Hospital?
    Thanks Guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dockfive

I moved back from Oz to Galway last year after spending 6 years in Oz and actually moved to Salthill. Like you I was used to cycle lanes and all that so it was a bit of a shock to cycle on narrow Galway streets with no bikes lanes. Its a bit crazy but it seemes to work ok. I cycle up and down the Salthill Rd past the hospital everyday and I have had no problem.

You will even see a lot of people cycling at night without lights or helmets which I was incredulous about at first but again you get used to it. Not sure how long you have been in Oz but after 6 years in Oz, coming back, Ireland seems very disorganised but you get used to it.

As for running, running along the prom in Salthill is really enjoyable and one of my favourite activities in Galway.

Best of luck with the move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

tallaght24 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.Sounds like Salthill is about the best of a bad lot.
    Coming form dedicated cycling lanes and 30km forest bike paths in 20-30 degrees and lowest rainfall in years-might need the rain gear advice.
    Last question with all the negativity about the drivers and cyclist dangers is it feasible/practical/safe to bike from Salthill to UCHG Hospital?
    Thanks Guys

Depending where you are in Salthill as it is spread out, it can be anything from 5-15 mins to UCHG. It is safe, your obviously a keen cyclist so you know about wearing a helmet, high visable gear, lights, obeying the rules of the road etc all of which are common sense but are rarely done in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JustMary wrote: »
    I presume you mean further out in the county. A few rises in the city, but you'd hardly call 'em "hills", even I can walk up 'em and barely notice that I'm going uphill.
    You obviously don't drink enough alcohol.

Advertisement