Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

''Islam is a religion of peace'' (debate)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I couldn't watch all of that but id be inclined to think Islam is a peaceful religion once its not hi jacked by fanatics, Iv a lot of Muslim neighbours and they are very nice people..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

charlemont wrote: »
    I couldn't watch all of that but id be inclined to think Islam is a peaceful religion once its not hi jacked by fanatics, Iv a lot of Muslim neighbours and they are very nice people..
    You should give it a try, the first 2 clips are the introductions so skip them if you want. Although Douglas Murray's introduction was very very good, his starts around 7.30 minutes in the 2nd clip, after the intros they get into a very good discussion imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'll admit I didn't watch that video yet. I'll prolly watch it sometime. I just think the debating format is obsolete and the only reason why it's still around is because of its utility as a means of spreading populist sophist bullsh1t. Let's face it, the format is perfect for lying through your teeth as long as you dress it up cosmetically. :(

But my opinion of Islam is the same as that of Christianity. Definitely not religions of peace (literally anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Jarndyce

What has that got to do with anything?? Your phrase translates as follows: "There are many Muslims who are peaceful people". That is some poor reasoning. Just because they are peaceful it does not follow that the religion itself is peaceful. Morality, human decency, and the rule of law will prevent many Muslims from engaging fully with what is commanded by their religion. However, that says nothing as to the peacefulness or wickedness of the religion itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Jarndyce wrote: »
    What has that got to do with anything?? Your phrase translates as follows: "There are many Muslims who are peaceful people". That is some poor reasoning. Just because they are peaceful it does not follow that the religion itself is peaceful. Morality, human decency, and the rule of law will prevent many Muslims from engaging fully with what is commanded by their religion. However, that says nothing as to the peacefulness or wickedness of the religion itself.

Ha, So the Quran is wicked and the bible isnt..Sure after Ramadan they will start to slaughter us, I better get a new lock for my door.:D

Did the bible command priests to abuse children or command Eamon De Valera to impose the church on us ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Jarndyce

Ha, So the Quran is wicked and the bible isnt..Sure after Ramadan they will start to slaughter us, I better get a new lock for my door.:D

Did the bible command priests to abuse children or command Eamon De Valera to impose the church on us ?

Ok. It's now quite apparent that your comprehension skills are severely limited. Might I ask where in my post you found my expressed/implied approval of the Bible?

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Against the motion: Ayaan Hirsi Ali & Douglas Murray

Against the motion: Douglas Murray an anti-Islamic Hasbarist http://www.gilad.co.uk/storage/Aaronovich_Hasbara.pdfhttp://www.gilad.co.uk/storage/Aaronovich_Hasbara.pdf

And an member of the shamelessly partizan NGO Monitor
    http://www.ngo-monitor.org/article.php?viewall=yes&id=2028

And a supporter of the EDL's methods apparently

and Ayaan Hirshi Ali who anti-Islamic terrorist/mass-murderer Breivik published an anti-Islamic (full) article from the brusselsjournal.com in his infamous manifesto proposing that she receive the Nobel Peace Prize

I think it would be a complete waste of time listening to these spiteful propogandists.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

This thread in the wrong forum, BTW: Islam=Selm=Peace ( I once thought islam doesn't mean peace and i was wrong ), so, whattever is said doesn't change anything.

Against the motion: Douglas Murray an anti-Islamic Hasbarist http://www.gilad.co.uk/storage/Aaronovich_Hasbara.pdfhttp://www.gilad.co.uk/storage/Aaronovich_Hasbara.pdf

And an member of the shamelessly partizan NGO Monitor
    http://www.ngo-monitor.org/article.php?viewall=yes&id=2028

And a supporter of the EDL's methods apparently

and Ayaan Hirshi Ali who anti-Islamic terrorist/mass-murderer Breivik published an anti-Islamic (full) article from the brusselsjournal.com in his infamous manifesto proposing that she receive the Nobel Peace Prize

I think it would be a complete waste of time listening to these spiteful propogandists.
    Anti-islamists arguing against the motion of ''islam is a religion of peace''? Well knock me over with a feather!

Oh, and some mass murderer mentions one of them in his mandate, she must be evil incarnate so!

Anti-islamists arguing against the motion of ''islam is a religion of peace''? Well knock me over with a feather!

Oh, and some mass murderer mentions one of them in his mandate, she must be evil incarnate so!

So you'd expect to get a reasoned and rational argument on Islam from anti-Islamists?

• Advertisement

So you'd expect to get a reasoned and rational argument on Islam from anti-Islamists?
    Would you expect to get a reasoned and rational argument on Islam from muslims?

Considering you haven't watched it, how do you know the arguments aren't reasoned and rational?

Would you expect to get a reasoned and rational argument on Islam from muslims?

Yes. Extremist Salafis or Wahabbis or other extremist sects/individuals no.

Wouldn't you?
    Considering you haven't watched it, how do you know the arguments aren't reasoned and rational?
    Because I am aware of the speakers and extremist, hysterical-fearmongering and incitement which are never reasoned or rational.

Now perhaps you could answer my previous question - would you expect to get a rational and reasoned argument from anti-Islamists on Islam?

Because I am aware of the speakers and extremist, hysterical-fearmongering and incitement which are never reasoned or rational.

Now perhaps you could answer my previous question - would you expect to get a rational and reasoned argument from anti-Islamists on Islam?

Depends, these two in particular? Yes. I'm basing this on the fact that I have watched it myself and can see for myself that the arguments are reasoned and rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Islam, like Christianity and all other religions, are usually led by people with non altruistic aims. It's all about power and influence. I'm sure every religion has people who are nice but the bottom line is, my imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend.

Some people can live with this, others have to kill for it. I don't believe Islam is a religion of peace. It hasn't reached that stage in it's evolution yet.

Depends, these two in particular? Yes. I'm basing this on the fact that I have watched it myself and can see for myself that the arguments are reasoned and rational.

Is it then fair to assume that you consider their arguments reasoned and rational because you agree with them for the most part?

If so, can we realistically rule out that your own position on Islam is irrational?

chughes wrote: »
    Islam, like Christianity and all other religions, are usually led by people with non altruistic aims.

With respect I'd be highly surprised if you were well enough informed to make such a far-reaching statement on the intentions of countless current and past Islamic leaders.

All that left is a baseless generalisation.

I apologise if I am wrong and you are an Islamic scholar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

whydoc wrote: »
    This thread in the wrong forum, BTW: Islam=Selm=Peace ( I once thought islam doesn't mean peace and i was wrong ), so, whattever is said doesn't change anything.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but you realise that what word Islam is derived from has no bearing on the teachings of a religion or the practices of its followers, yeah?

Is it then fair to assume that you consider their arguments reasoned and rational because you agree with them for the most part?

Is it then fair to assume that you consider their arguments unreasonable and irrational because you disagree with them for the most part?
    If so, can we realistically rule out that your own position on Islam is irrational?

Ya see where I'm going with this? You're boring me already. Either watch the debate or don't, but don't come on here and tell me that the arguments used are unreasonable and irrational when you haven't even watched it yourself, because ironically, that's unreasonable and irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

With respect I'd be highly surprised if you were well enough informed to make such a far-reaching statement on the intentions of countless current and past Islamic leaders.

I'm not an Islamic scholar but I'm long enough on this Earth to see what problems all religions have caused throughout their existance.

If Islam is so peaceful, why do women have to be covered almost completely when out in public ? Why is it impossible for non Muslims to openly practice their religions in certain Islamic countries ? Why does conversion from Islam to another religion carry the death penalty ? Why is it necessary to have fatwas ?

Are you a religious scholar? If not, then would you kindly stop expressing your opinion on this matter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Yes. Extremist Salafis or Wahabbis or other extremist sects/individuals no.

Wouldn't you?

Can you explain who would be able to give a reasoned argument against Islam yet not be anti-Islamic?

How would one have a reasoned argument against Islam and not be anti-Islamic, that seems paradoxical since they have the reasoned argument at hand?

Or are you simply assuming that no reasoned argument against Islam exists in the first place, and thus everyone who does give such an argument must be unreasonable? :rolleyes:

Malty_T wrote: »
    Are you a religious scholar? If not, then would you kindly stop expressing your opinion on this matter?

No, but I am not making any authorative statements on the history of leaders within Islam either. If I did with virtually zero knowledge of Islamic history it would be based on ignorance.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Can you explain who would be able to give a reasoned argument against Islam yet not be anti-Islamic?

How would one have a reasoned argument against Islam and not be anti-Islamic, that seems paradoxical since they have the reasoned argument at hand?

Or are you simply assuming that no reasoned argument against Islam exists in the first place, and thus everyone who does give such an argument must be unreasonable? :rolleyes:

I am referring to the people involved being anti-Islamic not their arguments which are not mutually exclusive for obvious reasons. I would've thought that this would be self-evident.

No, but I am not making any authorative statements on the history of leaders within Islam either. If I did with virtually zero knowledge of Islamic history it would be based on ignorance.

Right, so your position is that you don't know or is that the poster is wrong? If as you say, you're not a scholar how can you say authoritatively that the generalisation is a baseless one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

If any framework is to be constructed with an aim to be one of peace, then surely its guidelines should be explicitly and unambiguously laid out with that in mind. If Islam is truly a "religion of peace", then why is it so easy for so many people to use it's texts and teachings as justifications for violence and persecution?

Right, so your position is that you don't know or is that the poster is wrong? If as you say, you're not a scholar how can you say authoritatively that the generalisation is a baseless one?

Because it isn't supported by anything tangible other than being alive on the earth for a period of time. This simply doesn't qualify you to make the claim that "Islam, like Christianity and all other religions, are usually led by people with non altruistic aims." Or do you disagree?

Because it isn't supported by anything tangible other than being alive on the earth for a period of time. This simply doesn't qualify you to make the claim that "Islam, like Christianity and all other religions, are usually led by people with non altruistic aims." Or do you disagree?

You didn't answer my question. Is your position that you don't know whether the statement is true or not. Or do you actually know the position to be wrong?

It isn't supported? How do you know it isn't supported are you an islamic scholar?

Standman wrote: »
    If any framework is to be constructed with an aim to be one of peace, then surely its guidelines should be explicitly and unambiguously laid out with that in mind. If Islam is truly a "religion of peace", then why is it so easy for so many people to use it's texts and teachings as justifications for violence and persecution?

Why just Islam? Why not Christianity and Judaism too? It's sacred texts can be equally bastardised to pursue an agenda.

Why just Islam? Why not Christianity and Judaism too? It's sacred texts can be equally bastardised to pursue an agenda.

Uh, how did you get "just Islam" from that post. :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

You didn't answer my question. Is your position that you don't know whether the statement is true or not. Or do you actually know the position to be wrong?
    I don't know if it's true. The statement made was such that only an expert on Islam could justifiably make - it implies a complete knowledge of every significant Muslim leader in history- Like I said this is why I didn't make any authorative statements.
    It isn't supported? How do you know it isn't supported are you an islamic scholar?

???

Because I read the unsupported statement. Didn't you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement