Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photo Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I love the way when you're looking for the course of an old railway line all you need to do is find a limestone wall and you know you're not far off. I see a limestone wall down the side of that ramp, I am sure it was reconstructed from the remnants of the embankments there.
    No, those are the original walls, as built. The ramp was so horse and carriages / carts could access the platform level.
    It's sad that no pictures of the original temporary terminus at Harcourt Rd exist.
    I imagine it was fairly rudimentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Unfortunately I missed out documenting the old footbridges at Churchtown, and Windy Arbour, I think the latter was removed in 2001 as you recall, just a few months before I picked up a camera! I recall seeing the trackbed there been very waterlogged and full of debris.

Yes you probably won't find anything on the Harcourt Rd terminus bar contemporary descriptions of the time. Think it was replaced in the late 1850s, not many cameras around then, though a fascinating photo exists in Sheperd's/Beesley's DSER book of the bridge across Dartmouth Road under construction.

I photographed Harcourt St back in 2009, I hadn't been there since 2001, and was amazed to discover the train shed still existed, fairly intact bar the platform and station office entrances!

There are some excellent photos of the station on the Irish Photo Archive site, like this one of the (ugly) Bullied designed AEC railcar departing and the last train passing the not so much photographed GSR signal cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Victor beat me to listing the extent of the site..

What was rather unusual about it was that the station handled little goods traffic in spite of it's extensive yard and that it existed for 100 years with only one platform at what was quite a busy station for departures and arrivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Interesting pic here - previously unseen by me anyway - of the loading of peat moss at the rail linked Coolnamona Bord na Mona works (the stub of the old Port Laoise/Kilkenny line).

http://irishphotoarchive.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=28&_bqH=eJwrDEzPCM4udwspyoosCEvJC7MsMU0tcHMyMU62MrSwtDI0MABhIOkZ7xLsbFtSlJiZp.YZHxrsGhTv6WIbCpLLKEgyL0vyyC8IzVeLd3QOsS1OTSxKzgAARDYdBQ--&GI_ID=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

peat train near Thurles about 3 years ago

28sbfyp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20Q-U-V-Y/Youghal/slides/Youghal_20090729_001_CC_JA.html

The goods shed was still standing on the 4th of August 1990 according a picture taken of me by my grandfather who had a slightly scary detail for noting dates on the back of pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13713567@N06/6809147636/in/set-72157629481589663/

Jesus they controlled all that from one signal cabin ? I know it was the biggest one in Ireland but the signalmen earned their money. I presume there were manual points that could be moved indepedently of the cabin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13713567@N06/6809147636/in/set-72157629481589663/

Jesus they controlled all that from one signal cabin ? I know it was the biggest one in Ireland but the signalmen earned their money. I presume there were manual points that could be moved indepedently of the cabin ?

That was the case, yeah. Most yards use hand points for ease of use by train crews. Most of the levers relate to the mass of platforms at the station and points into each of them as well as access into the goods yard and the old Albert Quay/West Cork line.

For the record, Cork was a mere 110 levers at it's zenith and still retains some mechanical points to control access into the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

As a Dub, I would like to point out that Cork Central was not the biggest cabin (in terms of levers) when it opened. (Ducks for cover). Much of the layout in the photo (the carriage shed, engine shed and goods yard) would be predominantly hand points and no signals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Iv been in ports all over the world, from Rotterdam to Singapore, even got arrested in the port Chongjin, but still love coming back to this place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Railway_at_Sligo_Quay_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1025494.jpg took a walk today down the quay and see that the port of Sligo has built a fence across the deep water quay, its been a while since Iv been here, beyond the fence is the Cold Chon Bitumen, the trains don't run anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Iv been in ports all over the world, from Rotterdam to Singapore, even got arrested in the port Chongjin, but still love coming back to this place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Railway_at_Sligo_Quay_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1025494.jpg took a walk today down the quay and see that the port of Sligo has built a fence across the deep water quay, its been a while since Iv been here, beyond the fence is the Cold Chon Bitumen, the trains don't run anymore.

i've photos of that somewhere...Ben Bulben RPSI tour abou 10 yrs ago....will see if I can find some....

Lady%2BEdith%2Bat%2BSteamtown.PNG

2012: The only place, apart from Fintown, where you can now see a train of genuine Irish narrow gauge stock operating is on the "Pine Creek Railroad" in the Allaire State Park, New Jersey, USA. The locomotive is "Lady Edith" from the Cavan & Leitrim Railway, the two carriages are originals from the Tralee & Dingle Railway and the wagon is from the West Clare Railway.

Nice photo JD, it is often forgotten that a bit of the C&L has survived in the USA. I am not sure whether 'Lady Edith' is in running condition, I remember seeing a photo of her stored at the museum pending future restoration, see thread here.
    Another remarkable survivor is one of the Hill of Howth trams, Orange County Transport Museum or something where it is now, I can't recall the tram number and exact location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Where'd the headlamp come from? Looks a bit continental!

I was under the impression that Lady Edith was non operational right now.

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Nice photo JD, it is often forgotten that a bit of the C&L has survived in the USA. I am not sure whether 'Lady Edith' is in running condition, I remember seeing a photo of her stored at the museum pending future restoration, see thread here.
    Another remarkable survivor is one of the Hill of Howth trams, Orange County Transport Museum or something where it is now, I can't recall the tram number and exact location?

You could well be correct about Lady Edith now being out of use - my negativity about Ireland getting the better of me. Hill of Howth No.2. is at the Orange Empire Railway Museum, California http://www.oerm.org/collection/other-traction/icegr-2 .

HillofHowth2.jpg

Another item of stock preserved overseas is Portstewart Tramway loco No.1. at the Hull Transport Museum - it even survived bombing by the Luftwaffe during WWII. http://www.flickr.com/photos/45777493@N06/5537965487/

And Hill of Howth Tramway No.10. is preserved at The National Tramway Museum, Crich, Derbyshire. Rather garish pic below shows No.10 during a period on loan to the Blackpool Tramway in the late 1980s.

visitor0010.jpg
    http://www.tramway.com/fts/fts_visiting.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mayo checker

hey have various pics of mark 3 trains my 1st lot is from May 2009 enjoy:) WESTPORT STATION

more mark3 pics enjoy Taken on feb 2009 on the westport to dublin line

2 pics of the push pull taken on 30/3/2009 i really miss the cafe bar very unique and different compared to what we have these days ..

212 with mark 3s was taken on 26/01/2009 somewhere on the westport line anyway:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Great photos!!! all the miles we did on the mk3s/ppulls/mk3a/mk2s/cravens....we were never off a train back then but well worth it for all the good memories! Im surprised you havent a photo of 134 knocking around....

From eBay tonight.
    As today, the BnM line out-surviving the poor Banagher branch. :)
    http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20F/Ferbane/slides/Ferbane_20120810_004_CC_JA.html

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Deutz G611 at Dunsandle on a mixed Loughrea/Attymon branch train. The age difference between loco and the passenger carriage must have been considerable! Not sure of the date. A digital print is available on eBay - sorry can't find the listing tonight.

G611%2BWHERE.JPG

Deutz G611 at Dunsandle on a mixed Not sure of the date.
    A lovely shot, it's Askeaton though on the Foynes branch, probably July 1962. The photographer, or his companion, might have been Yorkshire photographer Geoff Lumb, as that exact scene of G611 appears in his cine films featured in Midland Publishing's Vo.7 Steam to Diesel video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

Here, possibly?

Eiretrains wrote: »
    A lovely shot, it's Askeaton though on the Foynes branch, probably July 1962. The photographer, or his companion, might have been Yorkshire photographer Geoff Lumb, as that exact scene of G611 appears in his cine films featured in Midland Publishing's Vo.7 Steam to Diesel video.

Thanks, I was looking at it for ages and the goods shed and tank appeared wrong - the station building and LC looked okay but not quite right - and I arrived at Dunsandle by default. I should have known better as I have been there often enough. :D

dunsandle%2B006%2B-%2BCopy.JPG

Dunsandle Ground Frame (b+w) circa 1982 with Andy Grant (left) a Glaswegian BR guard and the late Martin Hewitt of WISRA; colour inset is circa 1996 of a younger and still enthusiastic JD. I used to have wet dreams about that ground frame but it escaped my attentions and is still in situ as far as I know. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Deutz G611 at Dunsandle on a mixed Loughrea/Attymon branch train. The age difference between loco and the passenger carriage must have been considerable! Not sure of the date. A digital print is available on eBay - sorry can't find the listing tonight.
    Is this the location?
    http://goo.gl/maps/m3v1j

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I used to have wet dreams about that ground frame . :D

I hope you're getting out a bit more these days:D

Advertisement