Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

MidlandsM wrote: »
    errmm, no, I was too busy today selling jammerz to respond.;)
    Re; looking at cars at near nightfall, total bollox..........LOL:pac:

You obviously haven't look at enough cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Lads help. Ive been looking at a lovely Ford Fiesta 2000 1.25L. It has 29000 miles up on it and they are genuine as its fairly well minded. Its taxed and NCTed for 8 months so it will save me a pretty penny in the short term.

Now I went to view the car and it has quite a bit of surface rust, where the windows meet the doors in the corners, in the engine bay, and on the underside. Now this is all surface rust its not too critical. But rust is never a good sign. It was kept near the sea in doolin.

Car drives great and the interior is spotless! Its around 1200 and I dont know wheater to go for it or not. I really like it but how serious is rust?

Also it has never had the timing belt done but does that matter with its way low millage? Do you look at both milage and years for timing belt or just milage? And also th breaks are a bit weak....Is that every fiesta?

Thanks lads, I want to buy it but Im a bit hesiant with the rust...Opinions?

They all rust, I haven't seen the car but you should note that the clocks in those only have 5 digits so the maximum mileage they can read is 99,999 miles and then it just starts again, could very easily be 129,000 miles.

Any link to the car?

They all rust, I haven't seen the car but you should note that the clocks in those only have 5 digits so the maximum mileage they can read is 99,999 miles and then it just starts again, could very easily be 129,000 miles.

Any link to the car?

No its not up on the internet, its in one of those countryside garages down in Balysteen (John Culhane is the dealer dunno if you've heard of him or where you are in limerick) bout a mile down the road from me. Looking at the car I'd believe the mileage but there's a 97 fiesta sitting in the yard that hasn't any signs of rust. So limerick man you wouldn't be two concerned with rust? The spare wheel underneath the car is rotten but the rest of the underneath is just surface rust from what I can see.

No, I would be very concerned of the rust especially if it's lived it's life in Doolin. I can't say anything without seeing it, but I've heard of him alright. I saw a polished up Fiesta with 30,000 miles on the clock and it was actually 130,000 they don't wear a massive pile, only rust.

He probably won't give you a warranty with it at that money, just check the oil level, make sure it's bang on, check when it was last tested and see did it fail on anything (you'll see at the top of the sheet No. Of inspections) if it's more than one ask what it failed on (if he tested it).

Other than that I can't do any more without pictures/link etc. When those engines are going well they're a great engine, but like everything there's a good few bad ones out there.

The belt would of been due at 100,000 miles or ten years, if there's no record of it being done take it as being due.

• Advertisement

No, I would be very concerned of the rust especially if it's lived it's life in Doolin. I can't say anything without seeing it, but I've heard of him alright. I saw a polished up Fiesta with 30,000 miles on the clock and it was actually 130,000 they don't wear a massive pile, only rust.

He probably won't give you a warranty with it at that money, just check the oil level, make sure it's bang on, check when it was last tested and see did it fail on anything (you'll see at the top of the sheet No. Of inspections) if it's more than one ask what it failed on (if he tested it).

Other than that I can't do any more without pictures/link etc. When those engines are going well they're a great engine, but like everything there's a good few bad ones out there.

The belt would of been due at 100,000 miles or ten years, if there's no record of it being done take it as being due.

Hmmm Its a tough one, its mechanically sound and driving well. My dad has bought 17 cars and put it through the ringer. But we are both hesitant with the rust, hes getting a 00 Renault Clio in and my dad says he will compare them side by side and make his mind up. Problem is I like the fiesta and would find it hard to walk away from it nice and cheap and taxed!

Sure tax is only 70 odd quid. The Clio would be a more comfortable, refined car IMO, and should be rust free. Those Fiestas (like many Ford and cars of that era) are known for rust.

Clio's suffer from little niggly problems where the Fiesta wouldn't, but most of the common problems with them are easily and in most cases, cheaply fixed.

At the end of the day all I can do is give the advice I've given in the first post, without actually seeing the car I can only go on generalizations.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭leftfooter

Outstanding Post LM, thoroughly comprehensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭niallu

Thanks for the below.....many things I would have never thought of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You are welcome. :D

Sorry LM, couldn't resist! :p

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Hi all, my friend is looking to buy a Merc C Class Kompressor. She went online and found some of cars listed for sale, say, 3 so far. So, she checked the registration numbers in cartell.ie. After keying in the reg numbers, the "Model" description was correct, but only 1 of the car has "Description" as advertised- "C SERIES KOMPRESSOR 1.8 AVANTGARDE SE 04DR A" and the other 2 just have "4DR 200" written. Is it possible that the 2 cars are not of Kompressor model? How accurate is the free check at cartell.ie, any recommendations is highly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rocky112

Amazing and very informative post Limerick Man...Really fantastic and I like it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Out of curiousity L man, re the windows,I don't see any stand alone number EG ..... 8 ,on any of my windows.Its a '98 BMW 316i.

Out of curiousity L man, re the windows,I don't see any stand alone number EG ..... 8 ,on any of my windows.Its a '98 BMW 316i.

Most cars vary... I'll have a closer look at a friends E36 today and see.

Here's the window of my 2001 Golf...

292875_10150763579460176_805400175_20495012_3317678_n.jpg

Here's the window of my 2001 Golf...

292875_10150763579460176_805400175_20495012_3317678_n.jpg
    Ah yeah, but that's the tinted window of a skangermobile.

NCT fail - FACT! :pac: :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 shaneyboy1

brilliant post limerick man,im actually looking for a second hand focus,i seen a lovely 99 one online for E1200 with 149k miles on it,would you recommend?
    thanks in advance

Esel wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but that's the tinted window of a skangermobile.

NCT fail - FACT! :pac: :D

What? I haven't got tints?

@shaneyboy, I'd imagine you'd get a lower mileage one for less or the same money anyway, bit on the rich side.

What? I haven't got tints?
    Just pulling your leg, LM. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1 japanesecars

This is very useful and informative for us..Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 riccardo

Great post Limerick man.

I tried to buy a 2008 mini on done deal this week and narrowed the search down to 2 cars. Both looked in great shape and also right colour spec etc for the wife.

One car had a stolen EMS and DME unit and had been heavy damaged in a crash and the other car was been solded with incorrect mileage.

On both ocassions www.carhistorycheck.ie was able to identify mileage and damage status and give me the knowledge i needed etc..

Bottom line is that you need to know that the information is readily available and its up to you not to be lazy and think that everyones going to be telling you the truth etc etc !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

riccardo wrote: »
    On both ocassions www.carhistorycheck.ie was able to identify mileage and damage status and give me the knowledge i needed etc..

Is that not a trade-only tool though?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

What do people think of €1350 for a 99 Peugeot 206, full service history, NCT'ed for a year, 4 new tyres, just serviced too.

First car btw.

Thanks, and great OP.

Edit: 145,000 miles.

Jaysus no! Way over priced, mileage is too high. Presuming it's a 1.1 petrol, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Just came across this thread and have to say some very useful info in the op and all the post well done to Limerickman

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Jaysus no! Way over priced, mileage is too high. Presuming it's a 1.1 petrol, that is.
    What would you consider a fair price?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

500 euro max

I wouldn't even buy it!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2517296

Same money, 3 years new, and 25k less miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Any general advikce when making payment privately?
    i.e. so that you are getting confirmation the car is yours??

Thanks
    irish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Any general advice on paying cash privately?
    i.e. ensuring the car is actually yours after handing over cash...

• Advertisement

Best way to do it is to bring a stamped envelope, and both of ye go to a post box and post of the logbook.

Bring a printed page with you saying

"I ___________ have sold the vehicle with registration number _________ to ___________"

And both of ye sign it.

After that, it's up to trusting the owner.

Advertisement