Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Struggling with HL Biology

Options
  • 20-03-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Firstly for background informtion, sciences were never really my strongest subject area. I'm doing all Higher Level's except for Maths (typical of me to do OL in Maths).

I did pass science for my Junior Cert and for 5th year I convinced the teachers to let me join the honours class as I felt it would motivate me work harder. I've since passed all of my Biology tests, some of which were lower than others, some tests I got in the 50% mark range. However for my mocks I got 43%, which was my lowest yet and the closest I came to failing.

I'm trying to understand te course material. I read my notes, write more and there's still a heap of question in the exam papers I have no clue how to go about answering. Sometimes I feel like I'm struggling because when I look through exam questions in most of my other subjects I know how to answer them properly, its only Biology I get stumped.

My teacher told me in the mocks I didn't give enough information on some of my answers and that there were certain chapters I confused.

This morning I just about grasped The Nervous System and I shall be handing my teacher extra questions from the papers I answered so she can mark and tell me how I can improve.

Otherwise I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to properly understand material on the Biology course and some good ways of grasping it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

I would definitely keep it on. While 43% may be off-putting to you, it's not like you'll be sitting the exam next weekend or anything. :P

First, off I'm going to assume you have a textbook and a revision book?
    What I'd suggest is going through your book and cross reference with your revision book. Get a feel for the topic and then write up your own notes, bullet points, diagrams etc on all the important areas. By that stage, you should have a good outline of what's actually going on in that chapter. Then, hit the exam questions for that chapter. If you get stuck on a questions or you're not sure what they're asking for, check the marking scheme. Afterwards, when you're studying or revising you'll know what to zone in on.
    Things like Ecology, Photosynthesis/Respiration and Plants always show up in some way on the paper. After hitting the exam questions, it does get easier!

Don't neglect the experiments either! For some people, they can make or break their grade. While I wouldn't suggest ruling any out this year, there are definitely ones which are more likely to appear than others for example alcohol production by yeast hasn't been up since '05.
    I find it's easier to group the enzyme experiments in together when you study them. The effect of pH, temperature and heat denaturation all have the same set up and it's just a factor that you're changing. That knocks off 3 experiments! And then theres the immobilisation experiment. They're pretty common throughout the exam papers.

Personally, I use the Essentials Unfolded (Celtic Press) revision book by Mona Murray. It's simple, concise and the diagrams are very easy to replicate :P Keep in mind, that you should cross reference with your textbook to make sure that you don't miss out on anything.
    We were told to buy the Rapid Revision one in 5th year, but in my opinion, it's essentially another biology book and it's unnecessarily complicated.

Just some other things to keep in mind:
    Marks can be picked up from relevant diagrams.
    Don't forget to clearly label diagrams if you draw them :P
    In the exam, try and do an extra experiment and long question if you have time. Or in a question 14/15, attempt all the parts (a)(b) and (c).
    You should attempt all the SQs.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I second knowing your experiments like the back of your hand. There aren't a lot of them and they get easier the more you do them.

What I do, and I'd recommend this, is to study a chapter/topic and make notes. Then do every single exam question they've ever asked for that chapter/topic. Don't give them to your teacher to correct because you won't see where you fell down as much. Go onto examinations.ie and get the marking scheme for yourself. Then remake out your notes with the new information from the marking schemes.
    I find that works best for things like Genetics where you are given lengthy paragraphs in the textbook but the marking scheme only wants certain points. It can help you identify which points are essential and how much detail you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

Know ecology and food like the back of your hand (Unit One). And the experiments. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I had big problems with Biology about this time last year too and managed to pull my grade way up by the real thing. A lot of Biology is purely learning off, but there are some chapters that you need to go through really slowly if you're having a problem grasping them.

For things like Photosynthesis (used to be a big problem for me), Respiration, Genetics and any other ones that you find hard to understand the process there's a few things you can do. You could go through them in the text book slowly making sure you understand it (for things like these text books are normally better than revision books), if you have a good teacher you could ask her if she could help you out with them some time, or else you could get 2 or 3 grinds to go over just these things.

The short questions in Biology tend to repeat themselves so I would definitely do all of them once or twice and get the marking scheme to check them. After a while you'll be flying through them no problem and they'll be drilled into your head.

If I was you I'd make sure I know Food, Genetics, Ecology, Photosynthesis, Respiration, Sexual Reproduction and Reproduction in Plants (but that doesn't mean you should leave out the rest). I found that Revise Eise worked best for me for these. If your teacher is willing then keep doing long questions and asking them to correct them for you so you know where you're going wrong.

There's plenty of time left and if you really try you could bring your grade way up. I went from an E in the Mocks to a B2 in the real thing so don't worry. Do the best you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

43% is definitely a salvageable result. Since Biology is such a rote learning subject, its so important you are really aware of your own learning style. How were you studying biology before? Have you tried color coded flashcards for each chapter, like you could buy loads of different coloured paper and do respiration on blue paper or pink paper or something. Or you could make notes, read them out to yourself onto your iPod and listen to them going into school. Then obviously do all the papers WITH the marking scheme. Its vital you actually know what the examiner is looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Thanks peoples.
    I will try using the book some more for cross reference with chapters like photosynthesis and that.
    Usually I NEVER use the textbook for revision, only homework and this is because it so much information in chapter paragraphs is not necessary.
    I would actually be interested to know where I can get podcasts to play on my iPod.
    Good thing is I got most of the short questions in the mocks so I'm not worried about them too much. Will still do them the odd time, just not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

What book are you using? I have Biology by Michael Callaghan. I'd be careful saying most of the stuff is irrelevant, the biology course is incredibly dense, you could be missing important information

Advertisement