Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Petition to Prioritise the Ring Road over the Central Access Scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Apart from "Galway cyclist" has Kilkenny given up protesting about the councils intentions, it appears that lovers of the once medieval city have had enough. The bridge and the development of the brewery site seems will go ahead without any more protests.
    Is it time to drop the word city from Kilkenny it is going to be like any other small Irish town, and for only the castle there is much medieval left to entice tourists.
    Given many were at one time so demanding action to prevent any further decimation of our lovely city, by ignoring these voices the council appear to have won the day.
    So welcome to Kilkenny town.
    Very sad Foxy, perhaps we can have a statue of our Council leader on the parade, or our Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

The bridge is in high court this week..foxy..

Nah ..probably just removed for winter...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

So it seems the council have closed public access to the model as people felt the current model didn't display the potential traffic that this bridge could bring to our beautiful city.

Here is the poster.

326058.jpg

Here is what the protest

325895.jpg

So what are peoples opinions? Are the council right to shut the model for this reason? Were the individuals who placed the extra traffic on the model wrong. Would love to hear you opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Where is the problem regarding traffic? How is that picture any indication of how it will be when the bridge is in use....all rather childish don't you think.

• Advertisement

obezyana wrote: »
    Where is the problem regarding traffic? How is that picture any indication of how it will be when the bridge is in use....all rather childish don't you think.

From the council website, the 7350 vehicles that will use it:

326062.png

As the council don't have money to build the NRRE and are now building the CAS traffic in our City centre is going to increase by almost 5.5K

Or with only the CAS traffic in the irishtown\brewery area is going to increase from current 14,120 to 22,344

obezyana wrote: »

Because the KKcoco only put a few cars on it, nay a truck/tractor or dare i say a pony and sulky..

As for an image showing syringe's/bottles etc under the bridge..well that is whats going to happen under the bridge...

take note..as its a public park, they cant put cameras there..

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Why can't they put cameras there?

pegasus1 wrote: »

take note..as its a public park, they cant put cameras there..

Really? Why's that? Never heard that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I think the scale model of the bridge is a joke tbh.
    Surely the scale model of the bridge should've been on display during the public consultation years ago??
    Also why not put in a scale model of greensbridge or buildings near by to give us an idea of the size of the thing??
    I think the scale should include the whole CAS project including the new road and junctions in Vicar St and the road going through the old mart site and new junction at the army barracks.

Any word on the High Court case?? I thought it was on Monday 20th.

Why can't they put cameras there?
    coffee shop in the castle park was vandalized repeatedly..i asked the owner were they seen on the park cameras...he told me no cameras allowed..lucky to be allowed to have the ones he has for the cafe...

Someone is telling porkies. It's a public space and as such you are allowed record if you wish.

Did he mean they couldn't afford them maybe?

Someone is telling porkies. It's a public space and as such you are allowed record if you wish.

Did he mean they couldn't afford them maybe?

We are probably digressing here but maybe it is the signs that would be required to inform the public that are not allowed in castle grounds

Fair enough, but I tho you were talking about the Peace Park under the new bridge? I presume there may be an exemption in the Castle Park as it is under the management of the OPW (I don't actually know), but as regards the Peace Park it's a public area owned by the Council so I would think they can put up CCTV if they so wish?

Fair enough, but I tho you were talking about the Peace Park under the new bridge? I presume there may be an exemption in the Castle Park as it is under the management of the OPW (I don't actually know), but as regards the Peace Park it's a public area owned by the Council so I would think they can put up CCTV if they so wish?

I would think so.

Have to disagree there. Users don't care where they use as long as they do so.

I see your point but you have to take into account that a bridge like this is in a quiet park which will be more tempting for people as it is both peaceful and provides shelter from the elements. Personally I do see the relationship that the person who placed these here is trying to make.

Oscar Mike, I disagree……addicts will normally use drugs with other users……..and it's normally out of the way so that A) Gardai don't find them and confiscate their gear….and….I can't think of a B).

You would"nt think the area would be a bit too public for such behavior? As well lit up as it is?
    Canal walk is well lit up..

disclaimer...i haven't been there in the dark..

have seen groups drinking lots there in daylight...

I walk there regularly and can tell you its fairly uncommon these days. Its a busy walkway. Johns quay could be used for the same thing as its quiet, but it is'nt.

last saturday comes to mind!!

• Advertisement

So this whole CAS was debated last night as part of Kilkenmomics. http://www.kilkenomics.com/shows/the_economics_of_cities_death_of_the_high_street_and_bridges_to_nowhere

I had wnated to go myself but could as had meetings in Dublin until 7pm. I tried to offer my ticket to a number of Pro CAS people and they all refused.

From what I hear only one person at the whole show was against the CAS. The whole panel could not understand why KK county council are building this bridge and questioned the real motive for such a project.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

What's the story with the high court case against the CAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Someone is buying the Mart site. Don't see anyone gambling on the outcome of the High Court case. Planning was refused previously on the grounds of lack of infrastructure surrounding the site so that little obstacle is being removed.

John McCormack said the site is zoned for mixed development including social housing and halting site. Can't see either of those options being exercised.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

jesus i'd rather anything in there rather than a halting site

nootroc wrote: »
    Someone is buying the Mart site. Don't see anyone gambling on the outcome of the High Court case. Planning was refused previously on the grounds of lack of infrastructure surrounding the site so that little obstacle is being removed.

John McCormack said the site is zoned for mixed development including social housing and halting site. Can't see either of those options being exercised.
    One bridge does not an infrastructure make...with no new link to ring road..

A halting site. That'll make folk real happy

Maybe they will be the bridge trolls...:rolleyes:

Vicar street houses are in the process of being knocked i hear. Starting at the back of the houses. Wonder how long before these are gone for good. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Nothing is stopping it now. All you can do is hope for the best of a bad situation.

It's a drive in cinema, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

kikel wrote: »
    Vicar street houses are in the process of being knocked i hear. Starting at the back of the houses. Wonder how long before these are gone for good. :(

i,ve just heard that the council have reneged on their agreement to retain and relocate the medieval gable of no17. Anyone know anything about that?

Advertisement