Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Éireann routes (general)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the changes are coming quick and fast.

Another no brainer that is only now seeing the light of day.
    From Sunday, 29 May 2011, customers will be able to travel directly
    between Cork Airport, Cork Bus Station and Kent Railway Station on Bus Éireann’s route 226
    which will be extended to operate to/from Kent Railway.
    Services will operate to 30 minutes frequency on weekdays and hourly on Sundays. Services will operate via South Link Road.

Like seriously.
    The state aka department of transport spent HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS on trains and track on the route to cork/ cork suburbs yet then blocked any customer friendly measures to boost ridership by allowing connecting bus services.
    Boosted passenger numbers on rail services means LESS SUBSIDY needed to be shelled out by the taxpayer which should always have been the priority.

Anyhow, now folks to the north and east of the city have a reasonably comfortable option now to get to the airport via train and connecting bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

irish_man wrote: »
    whoops only seeing that now.....

I'm guessing the 109 will take the port tunnel to the airport?
    Can anyone confirm this?

I would expect so - the services ex-Wilton Terrace which take the same route serve Eden Quay so that would tie in with using the Port Tunnel.

whoops only seeing that now.....

I'm guessing the 109 will take the port tunnel to the airport?
    Can anyone confirm this?

This answers that question.....

http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=956&month=May

Enhanced Route 109 Service from Bus Éireann Provides Faster Journey Times and Dublin Airport Connection

Bus Éireann is pleased to announce an enhanced 109 service operating via the M3 motorway resulting in a quicker journey time to and from Cavan and Kells to Dublin city centre.

The improved service, which begins on Sunday, May 29th 2011, will provide customers with increased connections between Cavan Town, Kells, Virginia and Dublin Airport.

All services to and from Cavan (Monday to Friday) will now operate via the M3 Motorway with some services extended to Wilton Terrace in south Dublin city. This will deliver a much quicker journey time to and from Dublin City Centre.

Bus Éireann will also operate all services to/from Cavan via Dublin Airport and the Port Tunnel to the City Centre, giving Cavan and Kells a high frequency direct link to Dublin Airport.

“This newly improved 109 Route service will provide more services and connectivity for our customers, particularly those living in Cavan and Kells. The aim of this new service is to deliver an increased level, range and quality of public transport that will allow Bus Éireann to better serve the ever changing needs of current and potential public transport users. This new service will allow customers to sit back, relax and enjoy travelling on our high-quality coaches without the expense of toll charges and rising fuel costs,” said Joe Kenny, Regional Manager East, Bus Éireann.

The changes to the licence for route 109 have been approved by the National Transport Authority (NTA).

but but but..........
    doesnt the swords express use the tunnel meaning nobody else can use it regardless of where they are coming from?
    And the 3/4 of a BILLION euro piece of PUBLIC infrastructure belongs to them doesnt it? :rolleyes:

oh, forgot.
    Dept of transport is no longer issuing licences so the idea of public busses being officially banned from using a public tunnel that cost the public, aka taxpayer 750000000 Euro (thats a lot of fuppin zeros) because of any random sh1te excuse should no longer happen.
    That theres even a question as to whether a bus- that has no stops on the way to the city centre - would take the quickest (& for busses toll free) route just shows how disfunctional the old licencing regime was.

The question now though is how long will it be before there are calls for the bus to take the slow road from the airport through drumcondra to drop off students etc in that area??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lxflyer wrote: »
    Two other changes to the Expressway Network of note that are taking place in the coming weeks are:
    Table 4, Dublin - Carlow - Waterford - Dungarvan - West Waterford and return

Bus Éireann wishes to advise customers that from Sunday 29th, an improved daily service will commence operation, with most services operating to/from Dublin Airport.

Services will by-pass Naas, Kilcullen and Castledermot, thus giving a shorter overall journey time

Table 4, Dublin - Carlow - Waterford - Dungarvan - West Waterford and return is available to download.
    this information has vanished off the bus Eireann website along with the new 004 timetable.

It was a great improvement but I would question the stop at red cow luas stop as these busses all stop already at newlands cross so stopping for the luas will add several minutes to the times because of traffic. I am thinking now maybe there were objections from fianna fail people spurred on by locals in south Kildare at the loss of the castledermot-dublin expressway busses? Much the same way there were attempts to delay the opening of the new Carlow bypass last year to benefit businesses in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    this information has vanished off the bus Eireann website along with the new 004 timetable.

I am thinking now maybe there were objections from fianna fail people spurred on by locals in south Kildare at the loss of the castledermot-dublin expressway busses? Much the same way there were attempts to delay the opening of the new Carlow bypass last year to benefit businesses in the area.

Kavanaghs go slow bus does that though, so what is there to object to?

Personally I use Bus Eireann as much as possible, especially with their great value mid week return offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

but but but..........
    doesnt the swords express use the tunnel meaning nobody else can use it regardless of where they are coming from?
    And the 3/4 of a BILLION euro piece of PUBLIC infrastructure belongs to them doesnt it? :rolleyes:

huh? Loads of buses go through the tunnel.

mgmt wrote: »
    huh? Loads of buses go through the tunnel.

I think that munchkin was being somewhat sarcastic.....

He's making the point that the DoT were totally useless at licensing new services.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I think that munchkin was being somewhat sarcastic.....

He's making the point that the DoT were totally useless at licensing new services.
    I was.
    well spotted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

It was a great improvement but I would question the stop at red cow luas stop as these busses all stop already at newlands cross so stopping for the luas will add several minutes to the times because of traffic. I am thinking now maybe there were objections from fianna fail people spurred on by locals in south Kildare at the loss of the castledermot-dublin expressway busses? Much the same way there were attempts to delay the opening of the new Carlow bypass last year to benefit businesses in the area.

Anyone know what's happened to this? I was looking forward to it next week! Faster and more frequent! Where is it?! :mad:

• Advertisement

Anyone know what's happened to this? I was looking forward to it next week! Faster and more frequent! Where is it?! :mad:
    It might still be happening but the new timetable vanishing could also mean they are scrapping the service completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

It might still be happening but the new timetable vanishing could also mean they are scrapping the service completely?

I doubt thats what happening, they would at the very least retain the old one.

I doubt thats what happening, they would at the very least retain the old one.
    Well every last trace of a new timetable is now removed from their website so i would think someone let the cat out of the bag too early or there were objections from the south Kildare Cumann.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

:( Oh well it's bk to the 7.40 train for me!

Some late changes to the new 109 timetable on the Bus Eireann website.
    Information Update – 27/05/2011:

Customers please note in response to feedback received from you, Bus Éireann will be implementing some adjustments to the revised route 109 timetable effective from Sunday 29 May.

A summary of the latest changes is as follows:

Monday to Friday

•05:45 Kells/Dublin service will terminate at St. Stephen’s Green
    •06:00 Cavan/Dublin (Wilton Terrace) will not serve Busaras, customers will be set down at O’Connell Street.
    •08:00 Cavan/Dublin will not serve Dublin Airport, instead will operate via St. Peter’s Church, Phibsboro, Mater Hospital and O’Connell Street..
    •17:10 & 18:10 Wilton Terrace, Dublin/Cavan will not operate via Dublin Airport. Services will operate via Busaras, Mater Hospital, St. Peter’s Church, Phibsboro, Blanchardstown and via M3 to Navan.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1306504755-109.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Well every last trace of a new timetable is now removed from their website so i would think someone let the cat out of the bag too early or there were objections from the south Kildare Cumann.

Here it is:

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1305904599-4.pdf

Not linked from elsewhere.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Here it is:

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1305904599-4.pdf

Not linked from elsewhere.
    So it has been put back on the website, It was not there this afternoon!

edit; no it has not been put back on the website as this is what i get when i check the Bus Eireann site http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1225297644-4.pdf

http://www.whensmybus.ie/ is reporting timings based on the existing timetable. Clearly the 'new' timetable isn't operational (yet or ever?).

So it has been put back on the website, It was not there this afternoon!

edit; no it has not been put back on the website as this is what i get when i check the Bus Eireann site http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1225297644-4.pdf

No, it's not linked from elsewhere, but can be viewed in directory:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/

So passengers are left not knowing which timetable is correct as every house in the castledermot Kilcullen and Naas area would probably have been sent a notice about the changes.

• Advertisement

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    http://www.whensmybus.ie/ is reporting timings based on the existing timetable. Clearly the 'new' timetable isn't operational (yet or ever?).
    The date of operation might be from the end of the 29th so the new timetable may be starting in the morning?

The date of operation might be from the end of the 29th so the new timetable may be starting in the morning?

Who knows? Why trouble the travelling public with accurate information when you can leave them guessing; where's the fun in that?

The new Waterford-Airport timetable has been operating for a while now so does anyone get the new bus from Waterford or Carlow to the Airport? Does anyone think it has improved or has the journey to Carlow got a lot slower?

The old timetable allowed a very adequate 90 minutes to Carlow from Dublin but the new timetable allows 5minutes more with three less stops and motorway all the way to Carlow!

This journey can be done easily and safely within the speed limits in 70-75 minutes but drivers then have to wait in Carlow for upwards of 20 minutes until their scheduled departure time!

This seems very wasteful for a company that has supposedly changed the timetable to save money! They are not saving money having drivers and buses sitting idle for at least 20minutes on every journey to and from Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cavancola73

have to say they made a right balls of the 109 bus service to and from cavan via the airport!! the bus journey is no quicker then the old way and actually its slower, plus if you want to meet a connecting bus from navan you have to get a bus from there and then wait for last half hour for the cavan bus, with no bus shelter if its more then likely raining.

good job bus eireann.....plenty of joined up thinking as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭overshoot

friends facebook status update this morning
    Bus driver just drove past Ballyshannon bus station, then drove back down the town and had to ask directions to Donegal town

classy stuff bus eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

overshoot wrote: »
    friends facebook status update this morning

classy stuff bus eireann

I had a similar experience during the Marathon diversions last October, driver had to go back into Busáras to get directions!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

I have noticed myself on the 109 route that going to the airport is a total waste of time. At most two or three people people have got on or off and, as cavancola said, it is no shorter than the previous route.

They should make it that every third bus goes to the airport or something.
    The 30 bus already serves this route anyway.

What does everyone else think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I have noticed myself on the 109 route that going to the airport is a total waste of time. At most two or three people people have got on or off and, as cavancola said, it is no shorter than the previous route.

One of the emerging aspects of our "Recession/Depression" is the awful reality that Dublin Airport's significance as a destination has diminished considerably.

From a situation when the Airport was capable of sustaining diversions many B.E. routes,it's now apparent that the entire idea of flooding the Airport with buses/coaches needs to be revisited.

Dublin Bus are perhaps leading this with the removal of the 41 and the revision of the 16 and the implimentation of a local 41A Swords/Airport service which reflects the reality of the Airports staff resedential profile.

Sadly however,none of the CIE companies appear to be able to recognize the demand for a 24 Hour ORDINARY bus service to service so many of the 0630 onwards departure slots.

Whilst Aircoach does operate a comprehensive service in this regard,there remains a substantial Youth/Backpacker/Australian type of customer who wish to avail of the least expensive transfer option,particularly if using Rambler ticketing products.

It's an open door,if somebody will bother to push it ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

As a regular user of the 002 service to Rosslare, I can say I've noticed the same. The bus can be late getting into Busáras from the Airport (though in fairness it usually makes up the time by Arklow), with a handful if any passengers on board. One wonders if it would be cheaper and more efficient to simply put passengers on the Airlink (as was the case before they extended the 002 to the Airport, you could buy a through ticket). At the moment from the southern direction you have the 002, 004 and 133 running through to the Airport, yet I reckon if you took off the Airport passengers from each you'd be lucky to fill half a coach.

• Advertisement

A Driver on the 004 yesterday drove into the luas park and ride at red cow, that is the first time I have ever seen this happening. Maybe he just followed the route from the timetable as he said he had not done the 004 route in over 12 years so would not have known how stupid that stop at red cow actually is.

Is it true I wonder that bus eireann timetables are not produced by people anymore but by a computer program??

Advertisement