Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coillte leases are up for tender

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Good man meathshooter1, thank's.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Kieron854

how do you know how much to tender in any area,im not interested this year but was just wondering how much a let with say 10 deer or so would cost

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Not into shooting deer. Am in the W1 District and the species mentioned is Fallow. Now all the deer around here are Sika so how does that work out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 184 ✭✭custom 7mm08

be very wary of the cull figures they have a cull figure on a wood in west cork and i know for a fact all that is on it is a herd of about 70 or so goats. so some of the woods have crazy sized cull figures on them

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

be very wary of the cull figures they have a cull figure on a wood in west cork and i know for a fact all that is on it is a herd of about 70 or so goats. so some of the woods have crazy sized cull figures on them

this is true, a forest down my way came up on last years tender, and there is no deer on it, or in the surrounding areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

so how much do you offer per deer per lience come on guys someone must be able to tell us, how else are we going to find out or is this another closed shop no one wants to tell us about

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭243Xpress

Back in the good times lettings with 20deer to be shot on them were making 20k.I know of a letting last year with 10 deer to be shot out of it made 6500.I reckon they will be a bit cheaper this time around.Put in a bid and see how you get on.Nothing ventured,nothing gained.But make sure you walk the the wood and do your research before you put any bid in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭clivej

syconerd wrote: »
    so how much do you offer per deer per lience come on guys someone must be able to tell us, how else are we going to find out or is this another closed shop no one wants to tell us about

As far as I can see it's all pot luck.

You decide what the Lett is worth and put in a bid. And Coillte don't always give it to the highest bidder.

So it's up to you to find out how many deer are on the Lett and if it's even worth any bid. Could be worth a phone call to the Letts local forest manager to get some info.

They dont always give it to the highest bidder only 99.9percent of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

yeh as the lads say, walk it, and put in a bid for what you feel its worth,
    it is pot luck. if you have permissions around the forest it is meantto help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

243Xpress wrote: »
    Back in the good times lettings with 20deer to be shot on them were making 20k.I know of a letting last year with 10 deer to be shot out of it made 6500.I reckon they will be a bit cheaper this time around.Put in a bid and see how you get on.Nothing ventured,nothing gained.But make sure you walk the the wood and do your research before you put any bid in.
    :eek: 1k a carcass???? FFS thats serious €'s to be forking out I would nearly prefer to offer it to a farmer/land owner than to coilltte

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

Nothing else counts except the money you bid and that you have done the HCAP.
    Permissions in the area are worth nothing.
    Having the let for the last 30 years is worth nothing.

If you are outbid you are a loser. End of the story.

pugw wrote: »
    :eek: 1k a carcass???? FFS thats serious €'s to be forking out I would nearly prefer to offer it to a farmer/land owner than to coilltte

Its not 1k a carcass.Thats only a guide.They dont care if you shoot 20 or 50 as long as you pay the money.I agree with you no deer are worth that.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Sorry my bad I thought it was like a bag limit system or something!

pugw wrote: »
    Sorry my bad I thought it was like a bag limit system or something!
    Once apon a time they used to give tags.If there were 10 deer to be shot out of a wood,they would give u 10 tags.Not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

As a rule of thumb when times were good, a let in wicklow ( premium let country ) a tender was generally bid at a rate of €500 per animal in the cull !!

A let I'm involved in was €5,000 for 10 animals, but nearly 100 are shot every year, had it for 10 years at that price but had to bid €15,000 last year to keep it when it came round for tender again :eek::eek:

tfox wrote: »
    As a rule of thumb when times were good, a let in wicklow ( premium let country ) a tender was generally bid at a rate of €500 per animal in the cull !!

A let I'm involved in was €5,000 for 10 animals, but nearly 100 are shot every year, had it for 10 years at that price but had to bid €15,000 last year to keep it when it came round for tender again :eek::eek:

How do you know what you had to bid at, to keep it? As far as I know, you don' get a second crack it.

How do you know what you had to bid at, to keep it? As far as I know, you don' get a second crack it.
    One of our group does a lot of problem deer work for Coilte and has a good few friends in the know and was told we needed to seriously up our bid to keep it :confused:

In fairness we got it for the second 5yr lease at the same price without having to retender as we had a lot of grief from a local who had it before and made up all sorts of false accusations to try and get us thrown out !! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

Also, if all the bids are not high enough then they just dont lease the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

15k,thats the dearist wood in Wickla so,are you a "millionaire" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I know one of these leases (have rites beside it) and its empty.
    twoud be cheaper to fly somewhere and pay as u go...

They should pay us.........imo

cc30.

15k,thats the dearist wood in Wickla so,are you a "millionaire" ?

Ha yeah I wish !! No I dont have to pay a full gun as I dont go down that often, give them a substantoinal donation and help out a lot during the summer with making and moving hugh seats, clearing drag routes, making deer lawns etc. :)

One of our group does a lot of problem deer work for Coilte and has a good few friends in the know and was told we needed to seriously up our bid to keep it :confused:

In fairness we got it for the second 5yr lease at the same price without having to retender as we had a lot of grief from a local who had it before and made up all sorts of false accusations to try and get us thrown out !! :mad:

That is great for you guys but fairly crap for everyone else. What about the people that blindly bid €15k hoping to get some shooting – they didn’t get a second crack at it. Your comments seem to go against everything the tender system works to achieve and disgust me.

Obviously it is to your advantage and well done for having ‘guys in the know’, this is not a personal attack. It is disgusting that some people get treated differently from the rest in a tender COMPETITION. I know of guys that have lost lets after many years and were given no further information and now have NO idea how much to bid, but it seems it makes NO difference as your cozy circle get the inside track and can bid on what they want and know they will get a second stab at it. Oh Ireland -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I will probably get into trouble for this...but here goes anyway.

Unless you are shooting commercially for the meat there is no way in Gods creation that money justifies have 2-5 deer over the season and thats a lot of meat for personal consumption.

A good friend of mine shot 5 deer during the season on farmers land where he got permission for the cost of a few bottles of scotch. By going in on mad prices you are fueling the fire. No spot of land for culling deer should be worth more than €1000 say €200 per deer.

We used to get a local wood from coilte years and years back for shooting, I am talking 90's early 00's for £35 per annum.

Putting it into perspective you would get a nice stalking holiday in Scotland and be guaranteed deer.

That is great for you guys but fairly crap for everyone else. What about the people that blindly bid €15k hoping to get some shooting – they didn’t get a second crack at it. Your comments seem to go against everything the tender system works to achieve and disgust me.

Obviously it is to your advantage and well done for having ‘guys in the know’, this is not a personal attack. It is disgusting that some people get treated differently from the rest in a tender COMPETITION. I know of guys that have lost lets after many years and were given no further information and now have NO idea how much to bid, but it seems it makes NO difference as your cozy circle get the inside track and can bid on what they want and know they will get a second stab at it. Oh Ireland -

Not sure if you've taken me up wrong on what I said but I shall try to clarify it.

We had the original 5yr lease 11 years ago for €5k, owing to no end of hassle we got from our disgruntled neighbour Coilte gave us another 5 year lease at the same price when the first lease expired, all above board and nothing underhand.

Last year when that lease was up we were told that we would seriously need to up our tender to keep, which surprised us as we imagined with the current climate they would be coming down in price !! But it is one of the premier lets in wicklow and was one of only 2 like it up for tender that year. We did a bit of research, asked around as to what others were paying and we came to conclusion of a bid of €15k.

We were NOT guaranteed our tender, we were NOT told that if we bid x amount we would keep it, we were just advised that we needed to up our tender !! I'm sure if someone else bid €16k they would have got it, and maybe if we bid €10k we might have got it at that price !! thats they joy of a sealed bid !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Nothing else counts except the money you bid and that you have done the HCAP.
    Permissions in the area are worth nothing.
    Having the let for the last 30 years is worth nothing.

If you are outbid you are a loser. End of the story.
    This is not correct, its run on a points system.. Permissions in the area are worth a lot, and being the previous let holder is also worth a lot.

Thans TFOX, that clears it up. I totally missunderstood you.
    Gixer - I have yet to see proof of that and can name countless examples of me being right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Gixer - I have yet to see proof of that and can name countless examples of me being right.
    So highest bidder wins regardless??

GixxerThou wrote: »
    So highest bidder wins regardless??

Is all the experience I have heard of.

• Advertisement

glad to hear it :D

Advertisement