Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail Compensation for delays

Options
  • 29-09-2007 1:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I dont think this has been posted before but thought it may be of use to some of you. Debate on newstalk this morning about the EU introducing compensation charter similar to that for airlines to train service providers.

A spokesperson for Irish Rail was part of the debate and much to the surprise of the panel, myself and many other listeners who got in touch, irish rail already have a compensation policy in place for the last 9 years! It seems no one knew about it!

anyway, if your train is delayed an hour, you are entitled to a 50% refund. If its delay for 2 hours or more, you are entitled to a 100% refund. There are refund forms in every ticket office.

You learn something new every day!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Its been on P11 for a while, but very little is said by Irish Rail usually. Also you've to go through quite a bit of red tape to get it IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note it is not a refund or compensation - it is a system of discount vouchers for future travel. Not much use for, say tourists.

Oddly, people with social welfare passes, who don't pay for their fares, will also get these discount vouchers, even though they have free travel and no use for such vouchers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Victor wrote:
    Note it is not a refund or compensation - it is a system of discount vouchers for future travel. Not much use for, say tourists.

Oddly, people with social welfare passes, who don't pay for their fares, will also get these discount vouchers, even though they have free travel and no use for such vouchers.

According to the irish rail spokesperon its a refund, not vouchers. He even said that those who booked online are refunded quicker as they have their details already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Its a voucher if its a delay Irish Rail do not refund in cash, always a discount voucher and they aren't in any major hurry to send them out.

If you bought online and decided not to travel then you can get the refund to the credit card directly

The new EU rules will require Irish Rail to refund in money to any passenger who so requests

Its all been hidden by Irish Rail, they just don't tell people about the right to a refund when things go wrong, the current situation has no legally standing so if IE don't refund you, you can't appeal to anyone (Irish Rail and land based transport in general is exempt from certain consumer laws) the EU rules will mandate that the refund procedure by explained along with a heap of other things

How to do it is here
    http://www.railusersireland.org/passenger_info/refunds.php

The T & C's and the EU regulations can be found here http://www.railusersireland.org/passenger_info/legal.php

EU rules won't apply for at least 18 months and even then its almost certain the Department of Transport will seek a derogation to continue the current farce of supervising Irish Rail

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My apologies Victor and MarkoP11. The website link definitely contradicts what the guy on newstalk said! The chancer! If only I could remember his name (I think his first name was brian) and position in Irish Rail. At no stage did he say that the refund was in vouchers! Anyone else listening to the show this morning at around 10am that might have heard it too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

faceman wrote:
    If only I could remember his name (I think his first name was brian)

Barry Kenny by any chance?

^ sounds right. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Victor wrote:

How would that work for annual/monthly tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

They used to issue a docket exchangeable for cash but now its vouchers again. Fairly pointless really

EU will force a change on this

Its good to note Veoila issue all Luas refunds by cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Humblepie

Fair play people. Its long overdue briniging this to the fore. I heard that on Newstalk and was as surprised as anyone. Hopefully, it will help speed up the process of briniging Irelands public transportation services in line with our European neighbours. Irish people beinig taken for mugs far too long, accepting an hour delay resulting from a leaf on the track in tullamore. Joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

i do recall IE being pro-active once in actually having a person standing at Heuston handing out the dockets when a train i was on was very very late, no use to me of course as i had an annual ticket at the time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Right, I am going to give this a go.

I was the plum standing in Maynooth station yesterday evening with the big, withering boquet of flowers, over an hour late for a special dinner. And I was not a happy camper.

This should be fun.

Advertisement