Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A 'right this minute' Memoriam - 'Chris's Crate II'

• 23-02-2015 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭

At just after quarter of eight this morning, back in 1945, B-24 Liberator 'Chris' Crate II' with her full crew on board, took off from RAF Attlebridge in Norfolk on a mission.

As I write this, seventy years later, three of that crew are in the freezing waters of the North Sea, struggling for their lives, after an engine fire, then a hard ditching.

As I write this, they are in a life raft, and fully aware that there will be nobody else getting out. 'Chris' Crate II' has gone to th bottom of the North Sea.

As I write this, they paddle around around in the zero degree waters, they can see the tail end of the rest of their pals, in their hundreds, their bomber stream heading to Germany to deliver more war, but their war is with the water, their injuries, and the numbing cold that is sapping their senses, taking away the will to live, with every second.

As I write this, it's now ten after eight, local time, and not far from me here in East Anglia, just fifteen short miles off Cromer, six of the crew of 'Chris's Crate II are dead, and six have survived, just.

The dead are -

2nd Lt Theodore V Kolaya of Pennsylvania

2nd Lt Thomas J Foley of Massachusetts

2nd Lt John F. McGrady of Pennsylvania

Sgt John White of California

Sgt Ralph H Wilson of Minnesota

and Sgt Glenn R Cowan of Indiana

As I write this, it's over, right now, seventy years ago. They are gone, and forever. Now just names on a wall, mostly.

Except for Tom Foley, known as Bonny to his fiancée because of his bright blue eyes. Her niece told me how well her aunt remembers him, even today.

Let's do the same, and remember him, and all the others who gave all their tomorrows so that we could have a today.

Tac Foley

Advertisement