Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Really dislike there family

• 03-09-2011 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has a real dislike of some of there family, I have a nephew and a sister who I do anything they ask of me but even the smallest things i ask in return to do they wont do or make a huge fuss over it, Really annoys me making it sound like its the biggest deal over the smallest things

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Most of them are fine. Some are complete assholes. I don't understand the notion of having to be nice to people you can't stand, just because you share a small percentage of genetic material with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Some people are dicks.C'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Their

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Majority are great fun and I can have hours of chat with them.
    Certain few like the drink a bit much and can get annoying in their words and actions.
    One is a complete bitch who cares nothing for other family members and will get drunk and shout at you and ridicule you until you almost snap. I did snap at christmas. I was told to calm down at first, and then later everyone bought me pints. Success!

As my grandmother used to say, you can pick yer nose, but you can't pick your family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well in general I get on great with my family, Just two who really drive me insane at times, Asked my nephew to close the curtains and he flat out refused to do it even though He was standing beside them and my sister "his mother" got all fighty when I made him do it and left the house, but they are the two people in our family who ask people for favours more than anyone, I blame my sister for the way she acts as Hes basically told he doesnt need manners or respect for anyone, Ive decided today Im just going to give up on them and never do anything for them again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jayster74

Well as the sayin goes ya can choose your friends but not your family. And listen im sure youre not alone in that department havin a dislike for family members. Weather a blood relative or an in law its just how the world works i reckon, pain in the face but hey what ya gonna do!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I got on with my family better after moving out of the folks house.

In fairness though, the house wasn't that big and there were 5 kids in total so there's always going to be something happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Sever hatred for my uncle and his family, won't get into a rant now but I go as far as to avoid them on the street and sometimes if I see them ring the doorbell I will pretend to not be home. You would understand if you met them!

Get on well with the parents and siblings but can't stand living here much longer. Only 3 more months to go and hopefully I'll never be back except in transit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I didn't talk to my brother for 8 months recently. Swallowed my pride and struck up a conversation. Life is too short to argue with your immediate family.

Don't have much to with my extended family really though i.e my cousins, aunts and uncles. They've notions about themselves as people would say, so I chose not to engage with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I get on well with all my family thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

I get on well with my family thankfully. The exception would be my relationship with my eldest sister which could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I love my parents, brother and sister and their wives and husbands and kids and such.

I have no time for my extended family on either side bar one or two cousins and Uncles. Too much bull**** from when i was younger...back stabbing, **** talking. I've actually punched 3 of my Uncles...which i think is kind of cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Strongly dislike an uncle and a few cousins. Not much time for another two uncles. Selfish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Can't stand em.

Love em all, but really can't stand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭darklighter

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Can't stand em.

Love em all, but really can't stand them.

This would sum up my attitude as well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Haven't spoken to a brother in eleven years
    No intention to either in the future

Life may be short but some incidents will never be forgotten

And maybe that's a failing of mine for not letting things lie in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭darklighter

mikemac wrote: »
    Haven't spoken to a brother in eleven years
    No intention to either in the future

Life may be short but some incidents will never be forgotten

And maybe that's a failing of mine for not letting things lie in the past

Some things cant be forgotten or forgiven!

It would be nice to be able to forgive and forget etc but in the real world, that sometimes can be just wishful thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

In general, I don't get on with them, immediate and extended are pretty much the same so theres 11 of us in total. One of them has a serious drinking problem along side a host of other mental issues and theres a divide in the camp with how this person should be treated, the categories falling into enabling behaviour and tough love. I have chosen the latter route and I get grief for it. So I tend to only engage with the one or two members who don't hassle me on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

Unfortunatley as a family we're all estranged from each other. Never really were a family it has to be said, just a group of people that were related to each other and lived under the same roof. Sometimes its hard seeing how friends families are together, how good they are to each other. Its like this big hole at the centre of my life. It has its advantages sure enough but Christmas and birthdays can be rough.
    Just because somebody is related to you doesn't mean you have to love or even like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Mi sister just today has up and left her two kids and husband to go to England to another man. Just off the phone to my poor mother who witnessed the youngest child crying her eyes out at her mother (my sister) leaving to go start a new life with a man she met on facebook.

My sister has caused so much pain to our family in the last 3 months and I will never ever speak or communicate with her again. So I guess I dislike her right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Haven't seen to my brother in 9 months cant remember the last time i talked to him .

If I move out i doubt I'll ever see him again at family functions

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Katie10

I barely communicate with my mother and my sister the same. We have a younger sister who lives with her. We had a rotten childhood- totally neglected, slapped-parents thrived on the welfare lifestyle, were lazy and just considered us nuisances who cost money. We have come to conclusion she and my father (now dead) had some sort of mental conditions. Some things can't be forgiven even your own mother. I can't abide being in the same room as her. Cutting her out of my life is only way to keep my own sanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

have an uncle i used to hate as child, hes one of those tradesman-type men who think they know it all,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Don't talk to my sister anymore. My parents are on thin ice due to something they did earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I see quite little of my family and wouldn't be the sort to call/text frequently but I do like them all. The extended family would be a mixed bag, some I'm quite close to, others I think are decent people but wouldn't have much in common with them and others I'd avoid where possible to do so without being rude.

I assume we're not including Mother-in-Law's in this conversation, right? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sleepy wrote: »
    I assume we're not including Mother-in-Law's in this conversation, right? ;)

That is a given:D

I get on with most of mine. We do not have anyone that is inclined to cause any drama or conflict and even when there is bitchiness it is usually at a low level. I get on with most of my cousins too other than a couple who don't really do the relatives thing but there is no hostility there rather I just don't know them.
    I really do not rely on my family much for anything though so there is no opportunity to let me down or upset me too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Old thread is old.

but anyway. I've always hated the idea that you have to get on with your family because well, they are your family.
    I don't really get on with mine, I've always been a black sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

My immediate family are all joined at the hip. Both parents, four siblings, two outlaws and 8 nieces/nephews (and another on the way) and we do tend to live in eachother's pockets. Lots of meals out en famille, a big family holiday every other year, etc. As my (ex, natch) husband used to say, you don't marry "a" Bloggs*, you marry all of them.

Extended family, I can take or leave. See them at funerals and stuff, but that's about it. There's only one asshole I can't physically stand, and that's my dad's brother. Have avoided him like the plague since I was about 14 and I realised I was more mature than him. If he calls to the house and I'm the only one there I won't even answer the door.

*not actually my surname, but you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not even slightly close to my family.

Havnt seen any of them in circa 8 weeks and was last speaking to my folks over 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I'm very close to all my immediate family, siblings and parents. My mothers side of the family I see very regularly and I get on very well with them too. We even go away on holidays together.

My fathers side only see at some family occasions and rarely even get invited to their weddings, christenings etc anymore mainly due to the fact that we always lived in a different part of the country to them and usually only visited to visit my grandparents but both have passed away now so rarely visit anymore. I have very little in common with any of them anymore even the ones of my own age.

Added to that, there is a lot of internal feuding going on with that side of the family, my father is not involved in any of it and he just wants to stay as far away as possible. Even deaths in the family haven't changed things and they are still at each others throats. I have little or no interest in getting involved or close to any of them because I know if I do, I'll get dragged into the middle of it (guilty by association) and then my whole immediate family will also get dragged in. Just not worth the hassle. So I stay away.

Advertisement