Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Send me your account number/name and ill look into it.

got a call for magnet tech support
    working now

591828848.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Hiya Rory,

Hmmm, well since my line is no longer going through a carrier I can bundle broadband and calls over the one line. I was on to you some time ago in relation to this... Eircom have since updated their database and it's a green line.

However, this business of not being allowed to alter router settings is a huge turn off and I'm now half thinking about just ordering...dare I say it...EIRCOM, god that felt dirty...

Anyway. Is this still the case that you will not allow customers to alter router/modem settings? Or can I use a different router from the standard one you provide?

Thanks,

Samba

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I understand that, but it is worse than the ping I had with bt when you told me yours were better.

Wireless ping speeds are dependant on a number of differing factors, wall depth and router position along with server side considerations.

Samba wrote: »
    Hiya Rory,

Hmmm, well since my line is no longer going through a carrier I can bundle broadband and calls over the one line. I was on to you some time ago in relation to this... Eircom have since updated their database and it's a green line.

However, this business of not being allowed to alter router settings is a huge turn off and I'm now half thinking about just ordering...dare I say it...EIRCOM, god that felt dirty...

Anyway. Is this still the case that you will not allow customers to alter router/modem settings? Or can I use a different router from the standard one you provide?

Thanks,

Samba

The system is more of a bridge than a router and as such the settings are configured to make it "plug and play". You can daisy chain another router but I don’t know if this will work or help your issue? You could also use another router but again I dont believe this would work, indeed if you did try this you would need a router with an ATA, otherwise you would have no phone service.

We can change some settings for you if you call/email us.

I have a problem with my magnet router.
    there was no phone splitter in the box.
    I have a phone splitter my self but cannot plug it in as the active phone line is too close to the power connector to allow this.
    the other phone connector is far enough away for the power lone to plug it it but is not active.

• Advertisement

Belfast wrote: »
    I have a problem with my magnet router.
    there was no phone splitter in the box.
    I have a phone splitter my self but cannot plug it in as the active phone line is too close to the power connector to allow this.
    the other phone connector is far enough away for the power lone to plug it it but is not active.

Do you mean the Telsey? The Telsey has an ATA (analogue telephone adapter) but the service does not usually come with a splitter unless they are requested?

Is there anything in particular you need a splitter for?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Really disappointed with Magnet broadband support.

Ridiculous that their customer support is only open until 9-6.

I work 9-530 with 30 minute travel either side so ever talking to these guys is impossible.

As a result, I have had the router for 2 weeks and still unable to connect to net.

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Really disappointed with Magnet broadband support.

Ridiculous that their customer support is only open until 9-6.

I work 9-530 with 30 minute travel either side so ever talking to these guys is impossible.

As a result, I have had the router for 2 weeks and still unable to connect to net.

2 weeks? This seems extreem. Send me your account number and i'll get onto it right away.

Do you mean the Telsey? The Telsey has an ATA (analogue telephone adapter) but the service does not usually come with a splitter unless they are requested?

Is there anything in particular you need a splitter for?

yes
    The Telsey
    I was told by tech support there was a splitter in the box.

the need for the splitter is phone I have that I use to make calls does not make a ring sound when I get a call.

so I plug in a old phone in the splitter that does ring.

the phone that does ring the touch pad does not work on.

one way of solving the problem would be to make the other phone port active
    and de active the existing one.

yes
    The Telsey
    I was told by tech support there was a splitter in the box.

the need for the splitter is phone I have that I use to make calls does not make a ring sound when I get a call.

so I plug in a old phone in the splitter that does ring.

the phone that does ring the touch pad does not work on.

one way of solving the problem would be to make the other phone port active
    and de active the existing one.

Ok, it all really depends on what service you are on. Send me a PM with your acount number/name and mobile number.

I' ll look into it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

2 weeks? This seems extreem. Send me your account number and i'll get onto it right away.

:Cough:7 weeks and rising...:Cough:

Spear wrote: »
    :Cough:7 weeks and rising...:Cough:

One of the guys will call you in a couple of minutes for an update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kel Varnsen

Has anyone else's internet service with Magnet been ridiculously slow the last couple of weeks? I'm finding I'm getting download speeds of around 40-100 kb/s at best on what should be a 10 MB line. Restarting it(which I'm now doing anywhere up to five times a day) seems to temporarily bring the speeds back to a more reasonable 300-400kb/s. We've called a bunch of times, and they say they do something to fix it, but aside from some small differences, nothing changes.

Ok, it all really depends on what service you are on. Send me a PM with your acount number/name and mobile number.

I' ll look into it for you.

the second port is now active

I can plug in the splitter

I get a dial tone but, cannot back an out going call with or without the splitter.

Has anyone else's internet service with Magnet been ridiculously slow the last couple of weeks? I'm finding I'm getting download speeds of around 40-100 kb/s at best on what should be a 10 MB line. Restarting it(which I'm now doing anywhere up to five times a day) seems to temporarily bring the speeds back to a more reasonable 300-400kb/s. We've called a bunch of times, and they say they do something to fix it, but aside from some small differences, nothing changes.

606160144.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kel Varnsen

606160144.png

606164325.png

the second port is now active

I can plug in the splitter

I get a dial tone but, cannot back an out going call with or without the splitter.

did someone get in touch?

606164325.png

Can you PM me your account number/mobile number and name. Ill look into it.

did someone get in touch?

No contact yet

as the phone is not now working they can only contact me by email

No contact yet

as the phone is not now working they can only contact me by email

Ill pass that info on, that may be why the guys couldnt get you yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

I've had no dialling tone on my phone for about the last week, yet the broadband is working fine. Any idea why this would be Rory?

I've had no dialling tone on my phone for about the last week, yet the broadband is working fine. Any idea why this would be Rory?

Im guessing your using the telsey? If so it could be an issue with the internal ATA. Check by resetting it a few times.

If this doesnt work it may be an issue with the telsey configuration or possible provisioning issues from our end.

If it doesnt come back after a few resets send me a PM with your account number/name and mobile number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

Im guessing your using the telsey? If so it could be an issue with the internal ATA. Check by resetting it a few times.

If this doesnt work it may be an issue with the telsey configuration or possible provisioning issues from our end.

If it doesnt come back after a few resets send me a PM with your account number/name and mobile number.
    Yeah it's the Telsey. By reset do you mean switch off, or is there a specific way to reset?

Yeah it's the Telsey. By reset do you mean switch off, or is there a specific way to reset?

Nope, just plug out and in. See if this does anything. If not PM me with the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

606164325.png

Don't use the Limerick server for that speedtest

Jev/N wrote: »
    Don't use the Limerick server for that speedtest

Everything ok here ladies and gents?

Anyone I can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Everything ok here ladies and gents?

Anyone I can help?

Fine with me anyways, just mentioning there are always speed issues when testing with the Limerick server but it's not related to the ISP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dquirke

We have been a Magent Wireless user for just over 5 years (Leap back then), with a Sync Wireless connection to 3 rock.
    In the last few weeks we have had a number of major issues.
    Our 2 MB Sync connection was giving us about 120K upload
    And for the past 2 weeks, the link just goes up & down. This week it has deteriorated and from our measurements, since last Wed we have had 1 hour of internet access.
    Support is non-existent.
    If you can get somebody to answer the phone, usually takes 15-20 minutes, all they say is that there is no problem on their end. Last week they asked us to disconnect the power to their Aerial, which we did and they then tried to convince us that we still had power going to the aerial. Even when I explained that I had the power cord in my hand.
    After many many frustrating calls, they agreed on Wed to send out an engineer. However, they cannot say when. Phoned on Thursday and told that there is one person that schedules engineers and he will call us. On Friday we called again and they denied that there was a person that scheduled engineers???
    We are a business that relies on our internet connection, not just for email. At this stage we are getting complaints from our customers that they cannot connect to our servers and we are losing revenue.
    In the past we have had issues with Magnet, but there support was exceptional and always prompt, this seems to have changed for the worse.
    We are now looking at moving to another provider but unfortunately, Magnet own our external IP addresses, so moving is a major PAIN.

I called magnet technical support.
    it seems that the second phone port cannot be made active

Looks like I will need to find a short phone extension cable to work around the problem.

How did this go?

• Advertisement

dquirke wrote: »
    We have been a Magent Wireless user for just over 5 years (Leap back then), with a Sync Wireless connection to 3 rock.
    In the last few weeks we have had a number of major issues.
    Our 2 MB Sync connection was giving us about 120K upload
    And for the past 2 weeks, the link just goes up & down. This week it has deteriorated and from our measurements, since last Wed we have had 1 hour of internet access.
    Support is non-existent.
    If you can get somebody to answer the phone, usually takes 15-20 minutes, all they say is that there is no problem on their end. Last week they asked us to disconnect the power to their Aerial, which we did and they then tried to convince us that we still had power going to the aerial. Even when I explained that I had the power cord in my hand.
    After many many frustrating calls, they agreed on Wed to send out an engineer. However, they cannot say when. Phoned on Thursday and told that there is one person that schedules engineers and he will call us. On Friday we called again and they denied that there was a person that scheduled engineers???
    We are a business that relies on our internet connection, not just for email. At this stage we are getting complaints from our customers that they cannot connect to our servers and we are losing revenue.
    In the past we have had issues with Magnet, but there support was exceptional and always prompt, this seems to have changed for the worse.
    We are now looking at moving to another provider but unfortunately, Magnet own our external IP addresses, so moving is a major PAIN.

Can you PM me on this?

Advertisement