Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sickened my babies didnt win the competition we entered them in on my vets Facebook page. All the winners were Jack Russels. Racist much??! :P they were the only cats entered in that category, though Cream did come 3rd in their last competition so I suppose I cant complain :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Pet insurance quote for all 6 of my lot = €1550 if you say no for all the questions in relation to the ponies (which is not the case but just for laughs for a basic estimate), this is just for veterinary cover only. Generally I only have insurance for babies and fizzy horses (no fizzy horses currently).

So the outcome is insurance for the pup after I ring them for an argument over the kennel cough vaccs and €1350 to be paid into my emergency vet fund over the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Pet insurance quote for all 6 of my lot = €1550
    :eek: Holy jesus!!!!! That is 5 times my car insurance. Crazy money.
    wrote:
    fizzy horses (no fizzy horses currently).
    Whats a "fizzy" horse?

Currently on €8.20/mth for my cat. How in gods name are 6 animals costing that ridiculous amount?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

anniehoo wrote: »
    Whats a "fizzy" horse?
    Hot-blooded, young, nervous, over-excitable or otherwise accident prone (by my definition :p)
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Currently on €8.20/mth for my cat. How in gods name are 6 animals costing that ridiculous amount?

€304 x 2 for the ponies
    €338 for my horsie

The 2 dogs separately are €197 for either of them, but for both it's over €430 - I guess you only get introductory discount for 1 and it says discount for 3 pets+ but when I add in the cat to the quote it's €604 for the three of em :rolleyes:. Insurance only covers the first €5000 in vet bills for the ponies and €4000 for cats and dogs for that price so I'd need to have a major problem every 3 years for it to be worth while and at least one of the ponies is probably uninsurable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hows the pup settling in AJ?

Spent hours baking & decorating a cake yesterday evening, put it in a box on dining room table and left the room for 5 mins. Came back to Tilly somehow on the table, took the lid off the box and ate the letters off the top and a chunk of cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Spent hours baking & decorating a cake yesterday evening, put it in a box on dining room table and left the room for 5 mins. Came back to Tilly somehow on the table, took the lid off the box and ate the letters off the top and a chunk of cake.

Are you going to repair it with icing? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Cant she licked the side of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Just got around to watching death row dogs, 3 months too late but better late than never. Heartbreaking to say the least. :(

Hows the pup settling in AJ?

He was making little puddles the first few days every time I left the room, even if there were still other people there, is settled now though and happily charging around the house ripping up carpets :pac: Poppy has been a little star despite being nipped and growled at, getting her hair pulled and attempts have been made to extract milk from her (good luck to him on that front!). She's allowed back into bed now and has been given her Mr. Duck back as she's happy to share. She's not getting out for walks though as I'm keeping her within the confines of the house and garden until the pups vaccs are finished so everything's pretty energetic around here at the minute. :eek:

I'd still eat it :o

She's not getting out for walks though as I'm keeping her within the confines of the house and garden until the pups vaccs are finished so everything's pretty energetic around here at the minute. :eek:

Sound like you're having a fun time at the moment :D Any more pics of him? Are many people still mistaking him for a husky? :P

I had the most wonderful dream last night, my mother bought me the most gorgeous harlequin great dane and he was so wonderful and well behaved and slept in my bed really nicely.. then I woke up and there was no great dane. A little part of me feels empty now! I need him back!!! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Photo0608.jpg

My little 10 year old birdy Marky, I have so many arguments with him because for the last ten years he's only stopped shouting for about four hours a day on average, but he's too cute for words when he's being good like this! I might feel different at 2 or 3am when he decides it's time to play (and shout). We just had a nice day together today! He's tame as in he likes to come talk to me, land on my bed and walk around having fun, but he HATES to be touched. I got him when he was barely 6 weeks old and tamed him the same as all my other birds so it's just him, he's a little independent free spirit!

He lives with a lutino hen bird called Yellow (my ex was very imaginative) who is 5 years old, she flirts with my (male) flatmate, which is quite hilarious! I have to get it on video one day!

Sound like you're having a fun time at the moment :D Any more pics of him? Are many people still mistaking him for a husky? :P

No more cases of mistaken identity since :p I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out the settings on my camera for the blue eyes, can't figure out how to do action pics with red eye settings. I have lots of pics of a devil dog and lots that are just a blur :(

Getting a bit sick of all the vet bashing lately. :(

GAH!! :( At a training thing at the weekend and didn't realise I'd have to leave big boy in the car for a few hours unattended until it was too late to cancel.. Sat wasn't too bad cos I was parked down the other end of the carpark and he didn't seem too stressed..yesterday a different story he FREAKED out and was just outside so I could hear him!! :( I went out at one stage and it looked like somebody threw a bucket of water in the back he was panting and drooling that much.. ended up having to take him out and stand inside where I couldn't really see or hear..then got frustrated and just went home. :( I thought he was getting over the separation anxiety but this seems to have set us back big time! :(

tk123 wrote: »
    GAH!! :( At a training thing at the weekend and didn't realise I'd have to leave big boy in the car for a few hours unattended until it was too late to cancel.. Sat wasn't too bad cos I was parked down the other end of the carpark and he didn't seem too stressed..yesterday a different story he FREAKED out and was just outside so I could hear him!! :( I went out at one stage and it looked like somebody threw a bucket of water in the back he was panting and drooling that much.. ended up having to take him out and stand inside where I couldn't really see or hear..then got frustrated and just went home. :( I thought he was getting over the separation anxiety but this seems to have set us back big time! :(

A dog training thing? Could they not let you in with him?

Zapperzy wrote: »
    A dog training thing? Could they not let you in with him?

It was a seminar with each dog taking a turn so we had to move when there were reactive dogs having their turn which is fair enough...but basically we got moved to a place where I couldn't really see/hear what was going on, he was all unsettled and it just seemed like a waste of time staying for the end so we came home! I just got frustrated cos he'd gotten so worked up and stressed out and I'd paid for the privilege!! :rolleyes:

It was a seminar with each dog taking a turn so we had to move when there were reactive dogs having their turn which is fair enough...but basically we got moved to a place where I couldn't really see/hear what was going on, he was all unsettled and it just seemed like a waste of time staying for the end so we came home! I just got frustrated cos he'd gotten so worked up and stressed out and I'd paid for the privilege!! :rolleyes:

Doesn't sound too well organised tbh if they moved you to where you couldn't see or hear.

Well it's my fault he wouldn't settle cos I never nipped it in the bud (afraid of him upsetting the neighbours)..but I wouldn't have gone if I had of known I'd have to leave him. He's only 6 months post op - I can't afford for him to get worked up and hurt himself. He was trying to dig out of the car at one stage

Peach was happily sleeping in her box this evening when my mom decided to test if an old hair dryer was working. My god I've never laughed so much in my life! Peach kind of did a half jump up then a complete backflip out of the box where she then startled at one of her toys. She has been jumping at everything all night as she still doesn't know what scared her in the first place! I feel so bad for laughing but her reaction was just so funny.
    What would make it extremely funny is if there had been someone visiting the house who didn't know we had a cat. That picture keeps playing in my mind and I just find it so funny! :D
    For anyone concerned, she god a feed of tuna, some cat milk, millions of cuddles and is now tucked up nicely with her brother in bed for the night :)

Lol just picturing her flipping!! :) My cat (rip) used to do the same!! My bro managed to startle our guy once and he flipped like that - he was always trying to do it again but never managed it! The cat would be walking along and he'd say 'CHAH!!!' and clap - worked once but never again lol

• Advertisement

I dropped Bailey off at daycare this morning with a muzzle (with a sack of treats inside I might ad)- this is my latest attempt at stopping him coming out with a beaten up nose. I witnessed him over the weekend opening his car crate (at least I know now that I'm not losing my marbles now thinking I've left it open!!) and trying to open one of the daycare crates. He can open some and thinks he can open all of them so gets a baldy/scraped nose in the process. He has no probs wearing it because he knows he'll get a treat and told he's very good for wearing it.

From this morning and on Sunday (i tried it for size in the crate he's usually in) the reactions from people - wowzers!! The looks of horror to see me with a muzzle in my hand - like obviously if he was a savage he wouldn't be at daycare lol?! When I see a dog wearing a muzzle I think responsible owner. And when I see a RB dog walking around with a muzzle hanging around it's neck I just laugh because it looks funny - it reminds me of somebody with sunglasses on their head or something! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I dropped Bailey off at daycare this morning with a muzzle (with a sack of treats inside I might ad)- this is my latest attempt at stopping him coming out with a beaten up nose. I witnessed him over the weekend opening his car crate (at least I know now that I'm not losing my marbles now thinking I've left it open!!) and trying to open one of the daycare crates. He can open some and thinks he can open all of them so gets a baldy/scraped nose in the process. He has no probs wearing it because he knows he'll get a treat and told he's very good for wearing it.

From this morning and on Sunday (i tried it for size in the crate he's usually in) the reactions from people - wowzers!! The looks of horror to see me with a muzzle in my hand - like obviously if he was a savage he wouldn't be at daycare lol?! When I see a dog wearing a muzzle I think responsible owner. And when I see a RB dog walking around with a muzzle hanging around it's neck I just laugh because it looks funny - it reminds me of somebody with sunglasses on their head or something! :D

Does your dog stay in a crate when in daycare?

nala2012 wrote: »

Does your dog stay in a crate when in daycare?

He's crated at nap/rest times. They have little bedroom things but he can't go in them in case he jumps up and hurts his legs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Weighed the fat dog again today and she's lost 300g in two weeks. She probably still needs to lose at least 2kg but glad to see being strict with her is working. Feel really guilty giving the other two extra bits and excluding her but needs must. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Miserable day today. Too wet to take the boy out for a proper run, and he's letting me know how bored he is! :D

Took him for a quick walk tonight. He's now sleeping on the sofa, happy as a sandboy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What is a sandboy? Something very happy I assume :)

Whispered wrote: »
    What is a sandboy? Something very happy I assume :)

I asked my colleague from Cork on the off chance and he didn't know lol

I was stuck choosing between 2 harness there a while back and went for the ezydog one. Happened to be in maxi zoo yesterday evening and they had the other one - the Julius K9 and I much prefer it - mainly for the better grabbing handle at the back especially with the river being so high and my water baby being a bit fearless lol!! Tempted to get it now as a leaving work present for myself/him lol :pac: I was in maxi zoo looking at their muzzles - my muzzle plan worked in the crate until the afternoon 'break' when he managed to get it off and scraped his nose a little bit - it's a bit too big for him so going to try a slightly smaller one.

My precious rescue cat is off again. He was semi-wild when we adopted him, were told he'd never tame but would stay round. Nowadays we can't keep him off our beds. The little menace, took my eyes off him for a second, and he'd taken my new pretty wig (I have alopecia) and was tossing it around the bed!!

Last week he reached into my rucksack and took out a ball of wool, oh that was fun to clean up....

We can't give out to him or discipline him because of his history, we have to be kind and quiet with him. The best we can do is forcibly put him on the floor and say "no". It so doesn't work.

Oh but we adore him! My semi-wild, outdoor only cat is snoozing beside me with his chin on the laptop!

My brother was here earlier and somehow broke the front door so now it won't open :rolleyes:. Have just taken the pup for an emergency trip to the toilet and climbed out the living room window as wouldn't have had time to run through the house to the back door. Seeing as the window was already open and the back door is probably locked I climbed back in just as a car drove past and slowed down, just waiting to hear the sound of sirens now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

:D:D:D:D:D
    So AJ did they come and take you away?

I have had to do the same before (numerous times:o), once had to climb onto a flat roof and in an upstairs window of a flat I lived in, I'd just moved in, and the guards did turn up.
    Opened the door and I was unpacking (could of looked like packing stuff to rob)
    I was told to get spare key cut and leave it with a neighbour and also don't leave the window open as it if I could get in anyone could:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement