Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pre-pay pumps soon to be norm.

Options
  • 17-08-2012 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Looks like a good few garages are about to move over to prepay at all times.

Brennans Maxol in Newbridge, on of the busiest stations in the country as its just off the M7 is to introduce it almost immediately - signs are up, but covered.

I'd say you'll hear a few complaining, but then the other side is the motorist is paying for those who drive away without paying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I wouldn't patronise a station that required two trips to the cash desk. Why don't they have credit card payment at the pump?. Applegreen had this on the M1 and disabled it shortly after the stations opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Whilst it might work with those who buy their fuel in quantities of €10 or €20 at a time, I don't. I fill my tank in one go and put in whatever it takes to fill fully and the amount varies greatly. I have no problem swiping a card for payment at the pump but refuse to use prepayment and two trips to the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I agree. I will not use a pre pay pump as I like to brim the tank and so can accurately work out what my mpg is. I have no objection to a card reader though, that saves me the time of going in!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I love the card machines at some maxols and topaz's , means I dont have to go to the counter.

What I dont understand is why the outmost pumps at stations are prepay, if im going to do a driveoff surely i wouldnt care, rather than only go for the outside pump

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd rather be able to use my card at the machine frankly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I love the card machines at some maxols and topaz's , means I dont have to go to the counter.

What I dont understand is why the outmost pumps at stations are prepay, if im going to do a driveoff surely i wouldnt care, rather than only go for the outside pump

It's because usually staff have a better view of you and the car, and also CCTV often doesn't pick up reg's once you get too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A fair few cheap out on the cameras so they can't pick up accurate details on the far pumps. Face is unclear and a light dirt smearing on the reg makes it unreadable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'v had the habit of paying first for years, So doesn't really bother me. Its not often I drive much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Ugh, 2 trips to the till, no thanks. It would make sense if you could just swipe your card at the pump and work away.

From the point of view of the service station, I can see why they are doing this. All those eejits who fill up with €20.02 and only hand over the even €20 when paying, it will certainly cut out that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not so much pre pay pumps but prepay service stations. Bizarre way to approach the matter unless driveaways are really that common. In Italy, prepay facilities exist and are, in some cases, 12c per litre cheaper. In the UK, Shell is bringing back pump attendants at any busy stations. In Ireland, if this post is anything to go by, it's a combo of further discommoding the customer and slowing the process dwn. Progress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

ardmacha wrote: »
    I wouldn't patronise a station that required two trips to the cash desk. Why don't they have credit card payment at the pump?. Applegreen had this on the M1 and disabled it shortly after the stations opened.

Applegreen still have card payments in the truck section of that station, in fact I dont think you can pay for truck fuel with cash.
    Whilst it might work with those who buy their fuel in quantities of €10 or €20 at a time, I don't. I fill my tank in one go and put in whatever it takes to fill fully and the amount varies greatly. I have no problem swiping a card for payment at the pump but refuse to use prepayment and two trips to the till.

With a card system it's possible to fill to the brim, you put your card in first, then print the receipt when you finish. I can understand your point though if your paying in cash.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Marcusm wrote: »
    Not so much pre pay pumps but prepay service stations. Bizarre way to approach the matter unless driveaways are really that common. In Italy, prepay facilities exist and are, in some cases, 12c per litre cheaper. In the UK, Shell is bringing back pump attendants at any busy stations. In Ireland, if this post is anything to go by, it's a combo of further discommoding the customer and slowing the process dwn. Progress?

I suspect the OP is confusing the optional prepay pumps that a lot of Topaz and Maxol stations are adding with stations becoming forced prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I would say their a great idea... but foreigners wreck the whole thing.

Coming back from the UK I was at a Car pump just outside Antwerp behind a bunch of UK reg cars, scratching their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

In Florida last year I used to pull up at the pumps, walk in to the cashier & ask for $20 on pump 5 and pay, walk back to car and the pump would only dispense $20 worth of fuel, thought that worked grand and only one trip to the cashier, maybe that's the system they will use, could also pay by card at the pump

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Be like yer man in Texaco in Limerick who just dumped a car at a pump furthest away from the shop because there were no security cameras. Car must have been there 2 years. Used to really confuse people sitting behind it waiting for the customer to come out because said customer never existed.

I don't mind pre pay pumps because less interaction with surly staff who don't want to be there. Although I have a fuel card so looks like they'd have to invest in chip and pin for Topaz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

MYOB wrote: »
    I suspect the OP is confusing the optional prepay pumps that a lot of Topaz and Maxol stations are adding with stations becoming forced prepay.

Nope - 100% pre pay 24hours a day and cheaper price. They had over €2k in dreaways in one week recently and they would rather lose some business than put up with this as the only other option is to close.

So blame the thieving scum who don't pay rather than the garage.

As some post above shpow, there will be those who won't like it and sayign they want to fill up / buy by litre etc, but looks like this will spread very quickly as driveaways cost stations a fortune these days - esp whn profits on a litre of fuel is only about 5c in most cases.

My guess is if a staion is 2c cheaper in an area, people will prepay - I certainly would.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I hate having to pre-pay in a shop if I'm tring to fill up, obviously no idea how much car is going to take.
    If you're talking about the Tesco style Pay-at-Pump facility, I'm all for it; insert card, fill up, leave, no messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Screw all you lot, i want to pay online in advance, get a voucher number, key in the voucher number and bam - pump dispenses that amount.

Ideally, i want my car to tell me how much it needs, find the garages nearby, price them all and give me the cheapest then pre-order petrol. I pull up to the pump, it recognises my plates and a machine opens the fuel cap and inserts the nozzle, auto pumping fuel.

THAT'S how it should be, not this prepay ****e that will only serve to confuse people & cause backlogs at pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

i go to a petrol station in santry that is not manned and has credit/debit card payment only at all of its pumps.

you insert your card select petrol/diesel then the amount in 10 20 40 60 or 80. lift the nozzle and fill.

it only dispences the amount you requested and you are in and out in no time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

sandin wrote: »
    Nope - 100% pre pay 24hours a day and cheaper price. They had over €2k in dreaways in one week recently and they would rather lose some business than put up with this as the only other option is to close.

So blame the thieving scum who don't pay rather than the garage.

As some post above shpow, there will be those who won't like it and sayign they want to fill up / buy by litre etc, but looks like this will spread very quickly as driveaways cost stations a fortune these days - esp whn profits on a litre of fuel is only about 5c in most cases.

My guess is if a staion is 2c cheaper in an area, people will prepay - I certainly would.

If this is the case, their shop will be closed within weeks, and that's where most stations make the bulk of their profits, so the station will follow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭pcardin

ardmacha wrote: »
    I wouldn't patronise a station that required two trips to the cash desk.

how is a prepay pump forcing you to make two trips to counter? You park at the pump, go to the till pay €50 or whatever get back to car fill petrol and drive away. Or am I missing something? :confused:

Of course prepay automated pumps would be a perfect solution ( at least for me) as I hate going to the till at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Only one garage in cork is all prepay afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

pcardin wrote: »
    how is a prepay pump forcing you to make two trips to counter? You park at the pump, go to the till pay €50 or whatever get back to car fill petrol and drive away. Or am I missing something? :confused:

Of course prepay automated pumps would be a perfect solution ( at least for me) as I hate going to the till at all.

You prepay your 50 at the till but your tank will only take 47€, second trip for your change.

You prepay €50 but your tank takes €54, second trip to pay the extra.

By brimming the tank and then paying you also get to minimize the amount of times you need to fill up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I know 11 cent is not much but everytime i pre-pay for petrol say for €20 when i hold down the pressure pump it always goes to €20.11, even if i get a fivers worth it will be €5.11, i take no notice as they said the pump is configured for the amount i pay so must be a flaw in the pump but it's like this 5 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

ofcork wrote: »

TOP kinsale road?

Its diesel only, cheapest in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

ofcork wrote: »

The one in Little Island is prepay only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

kuro2k wrote: »
    TOP kinsale road?

Its diesel only, cheapest in the city!

Garage on rochestown road was the only one i was aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

zenno wrote: »
    I know 11 cent is not much but everytime i pre-pay for petrol say for €20 when i hold down the pressure pump it always goes to €20.11, even if i get a fivers worth it will be €5.11, i take no notice as they said the pump is configured for the amount i pay so must be a flaw in the pump but it's like this 5 months now.

Happened me before but it went over by 55 cent or so. The guy called me back in over the loud speaker I complained that pre-pay should stop at the amount I pre-paid, like it does everywhere else in the world...he answered that it was the customers responsibility to stop it at exactly the correct amount. So I passed over my laser card to pay for the extra 55c and he complained saying he wouldnt take it...I said I had no cash at all and he let me off.

In Italy you stick in a card or cash and prepay a specific amount, pump slows down and cuts out exactly at that amount. In US you go in and swipe your card authorizing whatever amount you think you need, then they just debit the actual amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

While driving across the US a few years ago its very common to pay at the pumps. You type in the amount you want (say $60) and if it came to $56 then only $56 comes off your card. Either you get refunded or the $60 is just pre-authorised. No big dramas.

It works well. The only occasions I had to go inside to prepay was when my Irish credit card was declined, as most pumps in the US you need to enter the zip code of where the card is addressed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've always wondered why they don't enclose the garage, and do it like a car park sort of thing. You drive in, fill up your car, a ticket comes out of a machine beside the pump, you drive up to the exit barrier and put the ticket in, it tells you what to pay and when you put the money in the barrier opens to let you out.. Thank you for listening Dragons, I'll take that investment now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement