Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Do wine makers/home brewers not use pipettes? That begs the question though, where do you get wine makers/home brewers kit these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

You and your sense of entitlement doozerie. :rolleyes:

:D <-- makes it all okay, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

buffalo wrote: »
    :D <-- makes it all okay, right?

Yeaahhh, sure it does. *twitch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

doozerie wrote: »
    @Lusk Doyle, Pfft, spoons are so uncool.

Sorry, I forgot that the Celtic tiger was alive, well and still roaring about great ways to waste money when a perfectly good solution already exists! :P

• Advertisement

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot that the Celtic tiger was alive, well and still roaring about great ways to waste money when a perfectly good solution already exists! :P

The Celtic tiger died when someone gave him too much of a particularly nasty medicine - ironically, they'd measured the dose incorrectly with a spoon. :eek:

The Celtic tiger died when someone gave him too much of a particularly nasty medicine - ironicallyunfortunately, they'd measured the dose incorrectly with a spoon. :eek:

Fixed that for you! Nothing ironic about that! Could have happened with one of yer amazing pipettes too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

poss NSFW?

Fixed that for you! Nothing ironic about that! Could have happened with one of yer amazing pipettes too!

Your mocking of the amazing pipette suggests an alarming lack of concern for the welfare of my poor aquarium. Will no-one think of the fry? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Hey everybody, I've a quick question about a new cassette and chain, my old cassette was an 11-21 and the new one is an 11-25, and I've replaced the chain as well but it has a fair few more links than the old one, how would you know how many to take out to shorten it? Or is there any adjustments I'll have to make to the derailleur? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Your mocking of the amazing pipette suggests an alarming lack of concern for the welfare of my poor aquarium. Will no-one think of the fry? :p

I feel bad. How about I make it up to you by agreeing to sell you my aquarium so that yours can have the company you know it craves?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Doozerie please start a blog, I love your cycling rant posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

If he had a blog, nobody would read it. This way he gets maximum exposure and maximum annoyance of other readers. As you can see twitter would not be an appropriate substitute.

P.S. He knows I'm writing this :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Palytoxin wrote: »
    Hey everybody, I've a quick question about a new cassette and chain, my old cassette was an 11-21 and the new one is an 11-25, and I've replaced the chain as well but it has a fair few more links than the old one, how would you know how many to take out to shorten it? Or is there any adjustments I'll have to make to the derailleur? Thanks.

Without putting it through the rear derailleur, run the chain around the largest sprockets, add a link to that length and you have the length of your chain.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Was behind a guy who got sideswiped by a car today. I stopped for pedestrian lights, he continued on through and a car pulling out from a sideroad on the left, sideswiped him. I was looking at the lights when it happened, but heard him shouting.

Notwithstanding the that car was definitely in the wrong, when I came up to make sure he was OK, without a hint of irony he asks me; "That light was yellow, wasn't it?". Yes, that's why I stopped.

Aside from that, the lack of awareness on the part of the driver was worrying. While he was in a tangled heap on the ground, she joined the slow-moving line of traffic and kept going. It's was only when he stood up, shouted and started waving his arms that you could see her realise what she had done, brake, then pull over to the side of the road. She uttered SIDSY verbatim to him, but at least she looked very apologetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

seamus wrote: »
    Was behind a guy who got sideswiped by a car today. I stopped for pedestrian lights, he continued on through and a car pulling out from a sideroad on the left, sideswiped him. I was looking at the lights when it happened, but heard him shouting.

Notwithstanding the that car was definitely in the wrong, when I came up to make sure he was OK, without a hint of irony he asks me; "That light was yellow, wasn't it?". Yes, that's why I stopped.

Aside from that, the lack of awareness on the part of the driver was worrying. While he was in a tangled heap on the ground, she joined the slow-moving line of traffic and kept going. It's was only when he stood up, shouted and started waving his arms that you could see her realise what she had done, brake, then pull over to the side of the road. She uttered SIDSY verbatim to him, but at least she looked very apologetic.

as i've always said (from my Communting days in traffic) car drivers still digesting their cornflakes are at there most dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Is this an annual task for anyone else?

8008525710_50b3d86d22.jpg
    Out of 13 spare tubes in unknown condition, 3 had to be binned, 5 were ok & 5 were patchable. Strangely satisfying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

as i've always said (from my Communting days in traffic) car drivers still digesting their cornflakes are at there most dangerous

You could say as much about some cyclists.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

as i always said car drivers still digesting their cornflakes are at there most dangerous

Any driver in a rush. Twenty to three yesterday on the way back from school, my 8 year old was crossing on his bike at a pedestrian crossing on Ballymun Rd when someone broke the red light at full pelt, despite another car and a bus being stopped, missed him by half a foot so she could make a U-turn before the opposing traffic got heavy. I let a roar, she was completely oblivious. He got the fright of his life, as did I. We'll be changing the route. In three years cycling to school, that's the third close call we've had at pedestrian crossings. He won't even start crossing now until he's sure all the cars have stopped. Doesn't leave him much time to get across though.

As usual didn't get licence, but I know where she came out of, so I'll be hunting for the car for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

There's a psychology among car drivers that they're in a big rush. Paris slashed its car accident fatalities a few years ago with a citywide campaign with billboards saying "What will you do when you get there", to remind drivers that they're sitting in a comfy armchair steering a machine, and not really in any urgent rush. Drivers, hey, enjoy the moment, man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Oh dear, just heard a god aweful noise outside the cave, as I turned around I saw a bike come skidding to a hault, he wheeled it to the door for me to have a look, broken hanger twisted rear mech and a nipple pulled through the rim, bike was only three weeks old! Now that is bad luck.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Holyboy wrote: »
    a nipple pulled through the rim
    Jeez - they need a hospital, not a bike shop ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Any driver in a rush. Twenty to three yesterday on the way back from school, my 8 year old was crossing on his bike at a pedestrian crossing on Ballymun Rd when someone broke the red light at full pelt, despite another car and a bus being stopped, missed him by half a foot so she could make a U-turn before the opposing traffic got heavy. I let a roar, she was completely oblivious. He got the fright of his life, as did I. We'll be changing the route.

Sorry to hear this. I've had similar experiences. I've changed my walking routes to try to exclude pedestrian-only lights (I mean lights whose only purpose is to allow pedestrians to cross, rather than also to let cross-way traffic proceed).

They seem to be quite dangerous places to cross, since inconsiderate motorists know they can proceed through the red light with no danger to them or their cars, and that nearly every time the pedestrians will leap out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this. I've had similar experiences. I've changed my walking routes to try to exclude pedestrian-only lights (I mean lights whose only purpose is to allow pedestrians to cross, rather than also to let cross-way traffic proceed).

They seem to be quite dangerous places to cross, since inconsiderate motorists know they can proceed through the red light with no danger to them or their cars, and that nearly every time the pedestrians will leap out of the way.

Surprising thing is that there aren't gardaí hanging out and waiting to pounce; seems like a nice easy fine-collector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

tomasrojo wrote: »

Yes, my conclusion too. We have changed our route accordingly. There are lollipop ladies there in the mornings so all is good, but in the afternoon it'll change. Same lollipop ladies have been seen in roaring matches with motorists and cyclists trying to get them to cop on.

I really hate throwing these posts up cos everything is usually ok, three times in three years isn't catastrophic, but the fright I got yesterday! I think he's happier to avoid those crossings even if the journey is a little longer, though he'snot happy about how steep it is. :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ROBBIE FOWLER Q&ADo you still have your white suit from the 1996 FA Cup final against Manchester United?
    "Yes. I've still got it and I'm going to loan it to the National Football Museum in Manchester for an exhibition they're doing on fashion in football."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

5417190_460s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Appeared in my feeds this afternoon, along with the corrected version. :)

221525.png

buffalo wrote: »
    Appeared in my feeds this afternoon, along with the corrected version. :)

221525.png

Inbelievable! Though Cavendish himself is probably not uncorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,357 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cycling from UCD to Wexford tomorrow. 140km, furthest I've gone.

Less worried about the distance and more worried about the cold! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement