Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone used Autoscan for a service?

• 28-09-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Has anyone used Autoscan for a service and what did you think of the level of service?

http://www.autoscan.ie/

Comments

The site makes them look like right knobs "unlike traditional garages we go to the root cause of the problems................", "a full or part service twice a year .................."

also in one of the pictures a chap is attacking a little nut with an adjustable spanner :rolleyes:

May well be fine but they appear like clowns from the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

not personally, i use Byrne&Treacy, based in Crumlin.

Excellent service,top notch Diagnostic equipment.

they servicer and repair BMW,Mercedes,Audi etc.

more importantly i trust them.

full service( incl lights adjusted,emissions test,new wipers as standard)

thebullkf wrote: »

full service( incl lights adjusted,emissions test,new wipers as standard)

how much is a full service if nothing out of the ordinary is required ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

RoverJames wrote: »
    how much is a full service if nothing out of the ordinary is required ?

Probably a friggin' fortune.

Confab wrote: »
    Probably a friggin' fortune.

Yeah, was thinking the same, wiper blades fair enough but a beam reset and emissions test. Wouldn't want to be paying for either of them unless my beams were out or I had a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

sorry for the delay,

all of the above come as standard with their full service.

prices depend on the make/model/year of your car-my friends car was dearer than mine even though the plugs didn't need changing-due to the dearer oil being used etc.(i think:o)

other garages say a full service an all they do are air filter,oil,oil filter.
    for the same money.

i have no affiliation with them,just got put on to one of the mechanics years ago to service my heap of crap,he gave me a full rundown of what was needed,tightened the handbreak,put valve caps on the wheels. {i know they're silly little things,but it indicates a mechanic who cares imo-he's a youngish enough fella,but delivers old school service}
    i haven't looked back since and he now happens to be part owner.

thebullkf wrote: »
    sorry for the delay,

all of the above come as standard with their full service.

prices depend on the make/model/year of your car-my friends car was dearer than mine even though the plugs didn't need changing-due to the dearer oil being used etc.(i think:o)

How much was your full service and how much was your friend's full serice and what cars do you both have ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi,
    I was about to post the same thread as I see today's citydeal.ie is a discount full service with autoscan - 53 euro down from 120.
    I figure can't go wrong there? Haven't had a service beyond NCT check last Dec and mileage is still low but it should probably have another anyway :confused:
    So do ye reckon worth it? Trust them well enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Joncc

Hi all,

So I've been a boards member for a while, I don't tend to post but I think these guys deserve a recommendation .

I bought the city deal voucher for Auto Scan and got it serviced last week. I was very impressed by the level of service. They were extremely thorough (even down to the brake fluid pressure and pollen filter ). I had a couple of things to be changed, they charged the cost price for the parts and then a small fee for the labour.

They've been open a couple of months and it's run by a lovely Polish couple. Just so you know I'd never met these people before but I'll gladly be going back there again.

There's my two pence anyway, hope that helps.

Joncc wrote: »
    (even down to the brake fluid pressure and pollen filter )

brake fluid pressure ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

The site makes them look like right knobs "unlike traditional garages we go to the root cause of the problems................", "a full or part service twice a year .................."

also in one of the pictures a chap is attacking a little nut with an adjustable spanner :rolleyes:

May well be fine but they appear like clowns from the site.

wpea7968a4_0f.jpg

Yup, Does not inspire any confidence in their workshop if they use tools like this

(And his finger nails are far too clean :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 no-it-all

Hi All,

Seriously, has anyone used Autoscan with the city deal voucher. I bought the voucher alright on impulse but I dont think i will use it - too many alarm bells have since rang in my ears. You know what they say,if it sounds too good to be true...

53 euro is ridiculously cheap for a basic service never mind a full one,where does the profit come in.This doesnt cover the engine oil for god sake which makes me think that they will be pouring low grade poor quality engine oil/water into the car,which will ruin it!!

I would of course love to avail of this offer but think it mightnt be the best idea,unless someone who has already used the voucher can come on and advise otherwise???Any advice at all would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

For 53 Euro to include labour, profit and filters, I can only imagine the grade of oil they use. Flora sunflower probably.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

no-it-all wrote: »
    Hi All,

Seriously, has anyone used Autoscan with the city deal voucher. I bought the voucher alright on impulse but I dont think i will use it - too many alarm bells have since rang in my ears. You know what they say,if it sounds too good to be true...

53 euro is ridiculously cheap for a basic service never mind a full one,where does the profit come in.This doesnt cover the engine oil for god sake which makes me think that they will be pouring low grade poor quality engine oil/water into the car,which will ruin it!!

I would of course love to avail of this offer but think it mightnt be the best idea,unless someone who has already used the voucher can come on and advise otherwise???Any advice at all would be appreciated!

Tbh a lot of the citydeals are extremely cheap. 50 euro for a 150 hotel stay, 99 for a 275 hotel stay, 180 for 400euro teeth whitening, 7.50 for 2 courses at a restaurant... I don't know how it works but given the citydeals work on minimum volume bought (if not enough people buy then no vouchers are sent out and the charge isn't applied to you), that must be how the money is made. I've bought a number of citydeals and been happy each time so I wouldn't be TOO quick to dismiss it. Places might also do it as a one-off and happily make a loss as if they do a good job they'll be recommended and you might go back in future.

Anyway my car is booked in for Friday. I'm not a typical motors expert! but I will report back and say if I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭kerten

For 53 Euro to include labour, profit and filters, I can only imagine the grade of oil they use. Flora sunflower probably.

It depends how you defined profit here.

I expect them to make 5-15 euro profit for a simple oil+oil filter+basic checks service for small engine car with proper oil(@trade prices not halfords) and geniune oil filter. It is not valid for 4+ cylinder engine or premium brands of course. If you have one of them then expect sunflower oil :D

It sounds like a creating a customer base with very small-profit deals for a new business.

And we always have a right to ask parts and oil they use before they put them in car.

Asking details of any service is always a good practice unless you don't believe every word you hear form service supplier. :D

kerten wrote: »
    I expect them to make 5-15 euro profit for a simple oil+oil filter+basic checks service for small engine car with proper oil(@trade prices not halfords) and geniune oil filter. It is not valid for 4+ cylinder engine

I couldn't understand how good oil could be included in a service for that price TBH. I have a 2 4 cylinder cars I service myself, and I buy my own oil. It's bound to be some 10W40 no brand oil they're using.

BTW, 5-15 euro profit on an oil change which includes a visual inspection of the car doesn't sound right either. You get what you pay for - now I'm not saying for one minute that the places charging mental money for the same are right to do so, but to have your car serviced properly, it should be done at a price which includes :

A high grade oil
    A good quality filter, OEM or equivilant
    A properly trained mechanic
    The properly trained mechanics eyeballs as he does an inspection on your car.

These cheap places that do low cost oil changes remind me of the hell holes in NYC that do the same, a quick oil flush by untrained monkeys.

Christ, I've just realised now by posting my last post, it'll turn into another thread like the one about how much it should cost to change 4 tyres. Doh! :pac:

Christ, I've just realised now by posting my last post, it'll turn into another thread like the one about how much it should cost to change 4 tyres. Doh! :pac:

No it won't. I hate chinese and partially worn tyres too :D

I completely agree with you about cost of proper maintanence by proper mechanics. But this is a deal not their list price. And I am sure it is just

oil change +
    oil filter change +
    check brake pads maybe lights = 30 mins max for a mechanic

And there are places which charges you 120 euro for same service for 1.2 lt cars which is insane. Another topic though.

I excluded big engines that needs proper full synthetics from my previous post.

It is not impossible for a deal to create customer base then charge same people 90-100 for same service maybe more. I agree that you get what you paid for.

If people expects to have complete full service(it means at least 2 hours labour for me) for their car for 53 euro, they should wake up :D

I completely agree with you about cost of proper maintanence by proper mechanics. But this is a deal not their list price. And I am sure it is just

oil change +
    oil filter change +

Totally agree, but even if it is a deal, they're still making money. They wouldn't do it at a loss, and the oil they're going to be using will be questionable.

No it won't. I hate chinese and partially worn tyres too :D

oil change +
    oil filter change +

And there are places which charges you 120 euro for same service for 1.2 lt cars which is insane. Another topic though.

I excluded big engines that needs proper full synthetics from my previous post.

It is not impossible for a deal to create customer base then charge same people 90-100 for same service maybe more. I agree that you get what you paid for.

If people expects to have complete full service(it means at least 2 hours labour for me) for their car for 53 euro, they should wake up :D

They told me it would be an hour and half
    The details were also more than that, I'll see if I can find it...

aha here we go:
    Thanks to your support the deal "?53.50 instead of ?119 for an Annual 25 Point Service Plus which includes changes of oil, air filter, top-ups of coolant antifreeze, gearbox oils and much more to get your car ticking over perfectly with Autoscan - Save 55%" was a success!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

That price couldnt be right. Even if you bought the oil and oil filter yourself it would cost you nearly that. Thats if you have all the correct tools..

bluewolf wrote: »
    They told me it would be an hour and half
    :

They are liars or else very poor mechanics so as well as having a sh1t site.

Oil change, quick peak at air filter and spark plugs. Glance at coolant & brake fluid reservoir, look at pads and run a finger or screwdriver to see are discs ok and peak at shocks to see are they leaking etc would no way take anywhere over 30 mins.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    That price couldnt be right. Even if you bought the oil and oil filter yourself it would cost you nearly that. Thats if you have all the correct tools..
    It was a once off deal, not a normal price

They are liars or else very poor mechanics so as well as having a sh1t site.

Oil change, quick peak at air filter and spark plugs. Glance at coolant & brake fluid reservoir, look at pads and run a finger or screwdriver to see are discs ok and peak at shocks to see are they leaking etc would no way take anywhere over 30 mins.
    *shrug* :confused:

We'll see after friday. If car is fecked, well... :pac:

bluewolf wrote: »

*shrug* :confused:

We'll see after friday. If car is fecked, well... :pac:

It won't be fecked ;) They just won't have spent an hour and a half working on it, they'll change the oil and filter and have a quick peak around. Perhaps suggesting a few things need doing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sounds too good to be true tbh. Let us know how you get on though. Btw roverjames the picture of the man with the spanner is a generic one and not from the place in question. I got pictures like those for my own website they are kinda like google images only you pay a small fee for them..

It won't be fecked ;) They just won't have spent an hour and a half working on it, they'll change the oil and filter and have a quick peak around. Perhaps suggesting a few things need doing ;)

Male relative is coming I know I'd get fleeced if I was there on my own :(

I'm already dreading the "we really recommend you spend 200 euro on xyz" and I won't know what's what
    tbh it's not sounding the healthiest anyway, it really does need a proper look over :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Sounds too good to be true tbh. Let us know how you get on though. Btw roverjames the picture of the man with the spanner is a generic one and not from the place in question. I got pictures like those for my own website they are kinda like google images only you pay a small fee for them..

I posted the picture, to save a few € on copyright and as an opportunity to advertise their own workshop, why didn't they just take a picture of their own workshop and staff?

Still does not inspire any confidence to me

See, even if it's a special one off price, they still won't do it at a loss, they won't be doing it to break even, they'll be doing it to make some sort of profit, so they must be using the cheapest of the cheap oil.

Agreed on max 30 mins servicing 45 mins at most if they have nothing to do.

If owner of the car is interested in quality of work, just stay there and watch them if they allow. then you will see what they are doing and changing. #

if you wanna test their limits take a 3.0 lt BMW to there and ask them use a proper full synthetic oil there :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 autoscan

Agreed on max 30 mins servicing 45 mins at most if they have nothing to do.

If owner of the car is interested in quality of work, just stay there and watch them if they allow. then you will see what they are doing and changing. #

if you wanna test their limits take a 3.0 lt BMW to there and ask them use a proper full synthetic oil there :D

Hi All,
    Don’t no if i should leave my comment, but decided to do it. Im Auto Scan owners wife. Have to admit, our web site is not so good, but that’s will change soon. I did that web site myself, but I shouldn’t:D., I should ask professional. About oil what we are using, it is middle class engine oil made in Germany GM. Of course you can find more expensive oil on the market, but also you can find oil half cheaper from that we are paying. For BMW 3.0 l we will use proper oil as well;). Deal on City Deal was done not 2 make profit, only 2 get customers to whom we can prove how good and trustful we are:), thanks every one for comments :rolleyes:

Advertisement