Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Guys, I have serious blocked ducts, which may be turning mastitis. I've had baba latched on for most of the day (which is agonising), fed her bent over her, used a heatpack and taken paracetamol. Anyone got any other tips? Going to doc in the morning if there's no improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

implausible, get into a very hot bath with your affected breast in the water. Then start massaging from the blocked duct towards the nipple. It'll be very sore and uncomfortable but keep at it. The aim is to get the milk flowing freely. Get your baby to feed every hour if necessary and point her towards the duct. Put a cold conpress on your breast after feeding. Take ibuprofen for the inflammation. Start taking lecithin supplements tomorrow. They help to prevent blocked ducts in future because if you get it once it may mean you're prone to them.

The difference between blocked ducts and mastitis is with mastitis you get flu like symptoms too.
    You'll also need antibiotics for 10 days if you've got mastitis.

I've had both and it's horrible. The only solution is the baths and frequent feeding. I found I needed the baths to actually get the milk flowing properly again.

Apart from that leave your bra off and go to bed or at least rest on the sofa and concentrate only on feeding for a couple of days as you'll be wiped after this.

I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Get yourself some soya lechitin capsules in healthfood shop. I had mastitis last week and while it cleared in a couple of days with rest, feeding and nurofen I could still feel a deep blockage. The lechitin breaks it down and helps clear it. I took 6 capsules (2 capsules 3 times a day) for a week and then reduced to 3 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

AnnieBur wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I have been following the thread for a week or so now but not posted before, great to feel Im not alone so thanks for the support. I have a poop-related question though....

My exclusively-breast fed 12 week old son has not had a dirty nappy for a full week now. He usually had one every day, but last week it went 2 days and then there was a massive explosion, but since then, nada! lots of smelly wind but no poo.

Everything I look up online says that BF babies never get constipated and it is normal for them to go a few days between poos. It also says not to treat it.

Thats all fair enough, but since yesterday he is clearly uncomfortable - arching his back, drawing his legs up, crying, difficulty falling asleep. In between these little episodes he is smily and relaxed. His tummy is soft and I cant feel any lumps in his tummy. I gave in and tried sugar water last night, with no effect.

Has anyone any experience with this or any advice?
    my son was like this too when exclusively bf, up to 10 days I think was pretty regular - never left the house with a spare nappy cause i never needed too.
    He also would seem to be uncomfortable in the few hours before poo, and even now as a bruiser of a 19mth old still only goes every second or third day - he is bf and only has water or a little rice milk with his meals.)
    There is not a lot you can do, except maybe an extra feed?
    Hopefully by now your little one has gone, but it could be like that while bf continues

The only solution is the baths and frequent feeding. I found I needed the baths to actually get the milk flowing properly again.

Apart from that leave your bra off and go to bed or at least rest on the sofa and concentrate only on feeding for a couple of days as you'll be wiped after this.

Thanks a million. Too late to be running a bath but have been watching tv with one boob in a basin of very warm water for the last while (v attractive) and massaging it. That and the pump (I have one of those 12hour babies, I wasn't waking her) seems to have worked. Lifesaver! I bf my wee man for 7 months and this doll is nearly 5 months and this is the first time it's happened.

I have to admit to reading the last bit in Fr Dougal's voice though - leave your bra off:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm all questions... My supply is down a bit. A good bit I'd think I don't feel as full as I normally do and I haven't been able to pump at all. Would you supplement with formula every day untill my supply improves again? I don't want to be giving formula if I don't need too because of the problems with constipation, but equally don't want her to be hungry. I know it's difficult: if I give formula it might be hard to increase my supply back up.

It's thyroid related I would imagine my tablets have been increased but it will be another fortnight before I have an improvement so that's quite awhile!

cyning the simple answer is no don't supplement. If you've already experienced supply problems then supplementing will further reduce your supply leading to more formula, lower supply etc etc.

A lot of women eat oats to boost their supply so a bowl of porridge for breakfast. I never had supply issues but I drank fennel tea which is good for supply and has the added benefit of being gentle on baby's tummy so good for wind etc.

I've seen fenugreek mentioned as a supply booster.

You don't say what age your baby is but frequent feeding or even temporarily increasing the feeds will boost your supply. Some women get into bed for a couple of days and just feed and sleep.

Lopk up Dr. Jack Newman and Kellymom websites as both have excellent information about feeding with low supply and how to increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

cyning wrote: »
    I'm all questions... My supply is down a bit. A good bit I'd think I don't feel as full as I normally do and I haven't been able to pump at all. Would you supplement with formula every day untill my supply improves again? I don't want to be giving formula if I don't need too because of the problems with constipation, but equally don't want her to be hungry. I know it's difficult: if I give formula it might be hard to increase my supply back up.

It's thyroid related I would imagine my tablets have been increased but it will be another fortnight before I have an improvement so that's quite awhile!

fennel tea worked for me. Weleda and Yogi Tee do bf tea with fennel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Guys, I have serious blocked ducts, which may be turning mastitis. I've had baba latched on for most of the day (which is agonising), fed her bent over her, used a heatpack and taken paracetamol. Anyone got any other tips? Going to doc in the morning if there's no improvement.

cold cabbage leaves straight from the fridge on your boobs should give you some relief. sounds weird but it works!

She's 12 weeks now: I'm already drinking fennell tea and she feeds at least every 2 hours as is: occasionally we get 3 at night I love those nights :D

I'll keep as is for another few days and see how I'm going. It's just when I gave her her water (she's to take an oz-ish a day to try help with constipation) yest she gulped it so I was afraid she was hungry but today she seems much better.

• Advertisement

cyning she'll gulp down anything you give her but it doesn't mean she's thirsty or hungry per se. I think the worst thing at this stage is to doubt yourself or your supply of milk and lose your nerve.

Also why do you think she's constipated? It's quite unusual for an exclusively breastfed baby to be constipated as breast milk is easily digested and broken down. What does her poo look like? If its soft and runny then everything is fine. Are you worried that she's not pooing everyday? A breastfed baby can go for over 2 weeks without a movement. My son went 20 days without one at 5 months!

Finally, you say she's 12 weeks do she may have come through a growth spurt. Also at 12 weeks it's normal to feel less full as your supply has adjusted.

They're investigating her constipation we are in and out of the hosp at the moment: since she was born she doesn't really go. She's had a barium enema and blood tests: they have to be repeated in a week as there's a problem with some of them and we're in the hosp for suppositeries everytime she goes 3 days without a poo: it sucks :mad: as it is she's taking lactolose twice a day and we're trying the oz a day of water since last week.

I feel really empty but seeing as she just spat up all over my clothes she must be getting something :D

If she's got problems with constipation then breast milk really is the best thing for her and formula would most probably make it worse.

If she's an otherwise content little baby with plenty of wet nappies then you can aasume she's getting enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Anyone going to the Quintessence breasfeeding challenge in the morning?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd love to Lilliq, but I have a family event on today. :(

Ah maybe next year! I missed it last year, hadn't really left the house yet after having R, so was really glad to get to it this year! It was great, loads of people showed up, think the final Dublin count was 171 mamas feeding 176 babies! Not sure about the other venues counts yet!

For all my worries about my supply woke up this morning with a lovely engorged boob on one side... Pumped 7oz and feel lovely and full now: if a bit sore. Pumping nearly killed me this morning!

That's a serious amount of bfeeding mums :)

lol, it's mad how suddenly feeling uncomfortably full can be a relief!!
    7oz is amazing to pump!!

yeah, it was fairly amazing! we took over City West, boobies and babies everywhere! haha :p

Great to hear it was a success again this year. We enjoyed it last year and hopefully we'll be back again next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

How do you increase your supply I`m sure my baby isn`t gettin enough? he`s 7 weeks but he`s hangin off my boob and giving out to it and nothin is comin out. i pumped the other day to get an idea of how much i was pumpin and i got 2oz which isn`t alot?

• Advertisement

The best way to increas supply is to feed more often. At 7 weeks a baby should be feeding 10-12 times in 24 hours. Some babies are sleepy and may fall asleep on the boob so you'll need to encourage them to feed by stroking their cheek, blowing gently on their face, stripping them down to their nappy.

At 7 weeks your little lad could've just come through the 6 wk growth spurt. This was the worst one for us. It lasted a week and he was screaming for more but I was empty. However it's his way of telling your body to make more milk so the screaming, fussing and constant feeding is normal.

You could try breast compressions, look it up on the internet, to help when feeding. Also oats, fennel and fenugreek are all supposed to boost supply.

Finally don't worry about how much you get when pumping. It's not an indication of your supply as a baby is much more efficient at getting milk from the breast than a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Having a small problem with the wee girl. She's 11 months now, going great guns eating and on just morning and bedtime feeds from me now. Trouble is, she'll now only feed from the right breast, refuses the left one completely and I'm losing supply there fast. I've always had less on that side than the other and I have plenty of milk using just the one, but I'm totally lopsided now from about 2pm. I'm not buying a pump at this stage as we'll probably start weaning before Christmas anyway. Just wondering has anyone else had a similar experience?
    Yours asymmetrically,
    Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Cat, towards the end one side was almost empty for me too. Dunno what the solution is, though - maybe walk with one shoulder back for the optical illusion?

Cat I think my son was like that around the same age. He definitely had a preference so he'd be polite and suck a couple of times on the less favoured one and then demand the good one.

I've no advice as such but just to reassure you I was misshapen for a while too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Hmm. I've a wedding coming up & will be wearing a pretty wrap over dress which perfectly accentuates my Picasso boobs. Guess I'll have to invest in one (1) chicken fillet bra filler!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi ladies. :)

Baby is waking up at night loads now -he used to wake up once pretty much since birth. Last night he went down to bed at 8.30, woke around midnight, 2.30, 5.30 then up at 7am. The night before he woke 7 times!

The PHN reckons that I should start him on baby rice, but he is only 20 weeks, and I'd ideally like to hold off as near to 6 months as possible before introducing solids , and also feel that baby rice is nutritionally crap - I have the annabel karmel book that I plan to use when the time comes.

What would you do? See if its just a phase/spurt? He doesnt feed for long because he falls asleep and its impossible to wake him so I dunno if its "real" hunger.

Neyite my son went through a very disrupted period between 4-6 months. It was a combination of growth spurts, sleep regression and developmental leaps. Look up the wonder weeks website or phone app. I could always see a direct correlation between his disrupted phases and developmental leaps.

It was definitely a tough time as I was exhausted but he came out of it and he started sleeping better.

I started my son on food just after 6 months. He had no interest in food before that as I was looking for signs of readiness from then on. I never saw any change in his sleeping after starting solids.

I think it's very sad that your phn suggests baby rice. She should be supporting you to breastfeed exclusively to 6 months as per the HSE's own guidelines.

It's up to you whether or not you want to start with solids. I agree that baby rice is just processed carbs so he's getting more nutrition from your milk. Also even if you started spoon feeding he wouldn't be getting enough to fill him as its only a spoon here and there and it's veg. Have you ever felt full from just eating veg?

All I can say is that it is 'normal' and it's not a sign of hunger but of many developmental changes which he's processing in his brain at night time. Like everything else baby related its a phase and it will pass so in the meantime nap when he naps so you get some rest during the day.

You say he doesn't feed for long, he may just be waking for comfort. When my wee man was waking like that I introduced the soother. It turns out all he wanted was to suck on something - better the dodie than me in the middle of the night!

Neyite my son went through a very disrupted period between 4-6 months. It was a combination of growth spurts, sleep regression and developmental leaps. Look up the wonder weeks website or phone app. I could always see a direct correlation between his disrupted phases and developmental leaps.

It was definitely a tough time as I was exhausted but he came out of it and he started sleeping better.

I started my son on food just after 6 months. He had no interest in food before that as I was looking for signs of readiness from then on. I never saw any change in his sleeping after starting solids.

I think it's very sad that your phn suggests baby rice. She should be supporting you to breastfeed exclusively to 6 months as per the HSE's own guidelines.

It's up to you whether or not you want to start with solids. I agree that baby rice is just processed carbs so he's getting more nutrition from your milk. Also even if you started spoon feeding he wouldn't be getting enough to fill him as its only a spoon here and there and it's veg. Have you ever felt full from just eating veg?

All I can say is that it is 'normal' and it's not a sign of hunger but of many developmental changes which he's processing in his brain at night time. Like everything else baby related its a phase and it will pass so in the meantime nap when he naps so you get some rest during the day.

I downloaded that app and I think thats exactly what it is! :) nearly all of the signs were there for the last few days, so I'm glad that I've stuck to my own instincts and not began solids. I'm lucky that in the morning, after I feed baby, dad takes him until his next nap, so I get another snooze until about 9 or after. Dad loves this time with baby because he usually is not long home from work before its bedtime.
    You say he doesn't feed for long, he may just be waking for comfort. When my wee man was waking like that I introduced the soother. It turns out all he wanted was to suck on something - better the dodie than me in the middle of the night!
    I think I might try this - excepting the time he might wake to normally feed anyway. If its a hunger, he wont be long in letting me know!

Thanks for the replies - I dunno what i'd do without this thread! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

is it time to start top ups? breastfeeding for 8 weeks and he seems frustrated keeps thumping my boob etc. i thought supply and demand if i wait i`ll start having enough but its not happening ater a week. should i start giving him a top up feed? he feeds every 2 hours, including nights, till i have no more.

Advertisement