Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Music DIT - easy to get in????

• 14-11-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I have an audition for DT501 Music in DIT next year March/April. I play piano and passed grade 8 just wondering for anyone who is in this course to tell me your experiences on the audition and the pieces you played.

I have Rachmaninoff Prelude Op.3 no.2 in c sharp minor ready and probably Chopin Waltz Op.64 No.3 in A flat Major ready for the audition.

Would these pieces be acceptable as "two contrasting pieces" or should I play something harder/more difficult??

Yeah would love a few replies about your audition process, mainly piano ppl and your experiences on the course itself, thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'd be tempted personally to pick something pre-1800 for one of your pieces if you're dead set on Rachmaninoff or Chopin. Though those two are different enough that you'll probably do well regardless. Anything of a grade 8 standard or above should be challenging enough for the audition, provided they're ones you're very comfortable with and play convincingly.

For anything more specific about the course itself you're better off asking in the DIT forum. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

The course has changed a lot since I auditioned (7 years ago, Jaysus). I did the degree and piano was my first study. I think your pieces would be of a fine standard for the audition. I can barely remember what I played for mine, but I'm sure I played a movement of a Mozart sonata and possibly a Bach prelude and fugue. I think those pieces are sufficiently contrasting, though you might be better off playing the Rachmaninoff along with something Classical or Baroque for extra contrast and in order to show off as much as you can of your playing. I think the written exam comes before the audition (again, it's too long ago). I remember it being said by the head of keyboard department that they look for potential and musicality rather than achievement so far. Any other questions you might have, please feel free to ask. :-)
    I have an audition for DT501 Music in DIT next year March/April. I play piano and passed grade 8 just wondering for anyone who is in this course to tell me your experiences on the audition and the pieces you played.

I have Rachmaninoff Prelude Op.3 no.2 in c sharp minor ready and probably Chopin Waltz Op.64 No.3 in A flat Major ready for the audition.

Would these pieces be acceptable as "two contrasting pieces" or should I play something harder/more difficult??

Yeah would love a few replies about your audition process, mainly piano ppl and your experiences on the course itself, thanks!!

Advertisement