Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Masters in Management - Smurfit Graduate Business School

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

A few friends of mine did the MiM this year and last year, from what they've said it seemed worthwhile. The ones now employed have jobs they wouldnt have gotten from their base degrees so it worked for them in that way at least. The unemployed...well, the recession probably isnt helping them too much.

By all accounts its got a great social life, is moderately interesting and wont kill you with the workload. I think if youre going into it expecting to walk into a job afterwards youre going to be disapointed, no business degree will do that in the current economic climate. If you're going into it to open some more options up to you that wouldnt have been available with your undergrad degree then by all means go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭forfcksake

canco wrote: »
    I'm looking at these courses now too. Does anyone have info on the the Smurfit MSc in Project Management?
    if anyone has any info on this course it would be greatly appreciated, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jennifermcc

Wow this was really informative , I have been excepted to the masters in management and gve just one week left to decide, this has definitely helped me because I'm not sure whether to go for smurfit or ucc for my masters. I thought smurfit would have opened a lot doors for me and been more intensive but it's seems from reading above maybe that's not the case and seeing as it would coat me 11500 plus easily that again in rent and living expensives whereas if I stayed in cork it would cost me 7000 it seems like maybe smurfit isn't the right option. I really thought smurfit gave people the edge but maybe that's an outdated view!! Bit confused now bout what to do !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

+1.
    I have an application to this course too. I'm an engineer though, and I just don't think this masters will benefit me much. I've got Project Management experience and qualifications aswell, but since I'm unemployed I need to do a Masters that allows me to diversify a bit.
    Is this management masters too much a re-hash of things I've already done, and maybe a more financial one might be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jennifermcc

Ya if you have done some management stuff it might be maybe go onto the website and look at the modules that are involved to see if there all stuff you have already done. I have no experience and I think that's what's part of my problem because I don't know what it's like to be in a business environment so it's a big risk for me but I'm sure that's the direction I want to take and since my degree is not business related I feel this may be my best option! Financing it now on the other hand is a big thing not just the cost of the course but living expenses since I'm not from Dublin will cost a fair bit but hopefully it will be worth it in the end. Someone else said to me though they think I could be too young and that the average age of someone at smurfit is late 20 s and I'm only just 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Someone else said to me though they think I could be too young and that the average age of someone at smurfit is late 20 s and I'm only just 22.

In the MIM the average age is 22/23. Most people are straight out of a 3 year arts degree in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Hey,

Sorry to dredge an old thread.

Starting this course part time in August. have any boardsies done this course?

Part of the course is the Friday/Saturday workshops, when do they release the dates of the weekends?
    Kind of need to plan a few things for the autumn but don't want to be double booking myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

crisco10 wrote: »
    Hey,

Sorry to dredge an old thread.

Starting this course part time in August. have any boardsies done this course?

Part of the course is the Friday/Saturday workshops, when do they release the dates of the weekends?
    Kind of need to plan a few things for the autumn but don't want to be double booking myself!

I emailed them at the start of June to ask this question and I was told that the below dates are provisional, but only a slight chance to change. There is a weekend in December and May to be confirmed. They might be more firm on the dates now but its a good indication.

• 26th and 27th August 2011
    • 23rd and 24th September 2011
    • 21st and 22nd October 2011
    • 18th and 19th November 2011
    • 13th and 14th January 2012
    • 17th and 18th February 2012
    • 23rd and 24th March 2012
    • 20th and 21st April 2012

Might be worthwhile contacting them just to confirm.

budhabob wrote: »
    I emailed them at the start of June to ask this question and I was told that the below dates are provisional, but only a slight chance to change. There is a weekend in December and May to be confirmed. They might be more firm on the dates now but its a good indication.

• 26th and 27th August 2011
    • 23rd and 24th September 2011
    • 21st and 22nd October 2011
    • 18th and 19th November 2011
    • 13th and 14th January 2012
    • 17th and 18th February 2012
    • 23rd and 24th March 2012
    • 20th and 21st April 2012

Might be worthwhile contacting them just to confirm.

Thanks, I have emailed them too. Just in my experience boards can be as quick!! (case in point here!)

crisco10 wrote: »
    Thanks, I have emailed them too. Just in my experience boards can be as quick!! (case in point here!)
    its a great service alright. Let me know if they confirm the same dates if you don't mind.

• Advertisement

budhabob wrote: »
    its a great service alright. Let me know if they confirm the same dates if you don't mind.

Yeah, they just got back to me there. still not confirmed, but the same dates as you listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 davjhar

Hi,

I know this is an old thread - but I was wondering did any of you go ahead and do the Masters in Management in the end and what your thoughts were? Was everything described here (not challenging, no job prospects, not applicable to day to day) true, or is it generally more positive than that?

Any response is much appreciated - I'm in a similar position the the one a few of you were. Considering it but not sure because of the cost involved and what I've read here?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

My thoughts are that education is too expensive here. I took my MBA abroad and saved thousands and got a great education.

For finance courses or management have a look at Erasmus Rotterdam University or the VU University of Amsterdam. Have friends who went to both and said they were really tough courses but very well respected. Both had no prob in getting jobs. Fees are less than 2000 a year. Most business / finance courses are in English.

The times and the economist both rank business courses. Do lots of research before spending a year and thousands of euros. Visit the schools as well. The network of alumni is a valuable asset you are getting access to also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KathrynH

A lot of these posts here are actually ridiculous. First of all, the content is challenging and you are constantly kept on your toes with numerous group and individual assignments, in term exams and final term exams throughout the year. This course is specifically for people who have not done business subjects in the past and the students are not specifically relegated to those from an ‘arts’ degree. There are plenty of engineers, human sciences etc. In all honesty, it actually doesn’t matter what you did for your undergrad as long as you have a 2.1. For a lot of employers such as Accenture, IBEC, Enterprise Ireland, Diageo, and PwC etc. they require you to have a 2.1 undergrad. Many of these employers really appreciate the fact that you have a more general undergraduate degree with a business masters on top. It shows your ability to think in different ways and your adaptability etc.
    There’s no doubt about it the course is expensive. However, it gives you that competitive edge when applying for jobs and getting through interview processes as it is fully accredited unlike masters offered elsewhere. It’s not going to automatically give you a job; you’d be incredibly naïve for thinking that in today’s competitive market. You getting a job is based only in part on you masters, then it’s based on your undergrad result, your work and life experience, psychometric tests and verbal tests and of course your personality and ability to effectively perform in competency interviews. So when El Siglo says “you’ll get feck all jobs with it”—he can grow up and realise the reality of the situation.
    Smurfit’s campus itself is really beautiful. The lecture halls, library etc. are all very modern and well equipped. There are study rooms, a common room to get coffee in and relax and a large Kylemore restaurant. There will always be a few “knobs” as El Siglo says on any course. But overall, everyone really is lovely. As there are 3 semesters, you are changed each of those 3 times into different class groups. This means by the end of the course, everyone really knows each other very well, which is brilliant.
    I would definitely recommend doing the course; I loved almost every second of it. The lecturers are mostly fantastic too. A lot of graduates have been offered excellent jobs in a variety of organisations as a result of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 portroe10

Thanks KathrynH, I am applying for the MiM today and was getting a little nervous reading some of the above posts but you have given me some hope! I am a mature student returning to college and am planning on using the MiM as a stepping stone to another Masters (not sure which one yet). I'm hoping that the MiM is a good choice as a starting place.

I'd love to hear some more feedback from people who have taken this course!

portroe10 wrote: »
    Thanks KathrynH, I am applying for the MiM today and was getting a little nervous reading some of the above posts but you have given me some hope! I am a mature student returning to college and am planning on using the MiM as a stepping stone to another Masters (not sure which one yet). I'm hoping that the MiM is a good choice as a starting place.

I'd love to hear some more feedback from people who have taken this course!

I have completed year 1 of the part time programme of this masters. It is a challenging course and I have enjoyed the content to date, but balancing work and the assignments/study etc can be tough. I can only speak for the part time syllabus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bultaco

Dear All,

I'm just about to sign up to the MSc Managemant (Part Time)

Has anyone else on this thread also signed up for the course ?

I'd like to know just how much work is involved since I have a 1 y/o baby at home and a full time Job.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

I'm also very interested in this, I'm out of college ten years now, I did I.t back then and never went into a I. T job, I'm in logistics... I work shift work but would love to try management course part time... I'm abit intimidated by the fee and the thought of a thesis

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

bultaco wrote: »
    Dear All,

I'm just about to sign up to the MSc Managemant (Part Time)

Has anyone else on this thread also signed up for the course ?

I'd like to know just how much work is involved since I have a 1 y/o baby at home and a full time Job.

I'm doing a similar one but in DCU, in that time my 1 yer old is nearly 3 and we now have a 14 month old, we renovated a house aswell..

In my opinion, the work itself is not complicated, there's just a lot of reading if you want to do well. So the last 2 years my wife has take on a huge amount as normally most weekends i go into the office to study one day and then coming up to assignments im generally in for the full weekend. I always get home to put the kids to bed and then do 2 evenings (2-4 hours) a week too.

finished in July.. i cant wait but imo its been worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Hi All

Has anyone any updates to how they got on in this course?

I've been offered a place for the part time course in September and am 90% sure i'm going to do it, i'm just wondering of what peoples thoughts are on it and if they recommend it and think it's worthwhile for their career prospects?

Have no kids but am still worried about the workload and the thesis/dissertation

• Advertisement

I graduated from this in 2013. It worked very well for me, it gave me the leg up to get out of my technical role and into more general commercial management. Ironically, I'm not sure how much of the course I have actually used, but the Msc in Mgmt from Smurfit certainly looked good on my CV and helped me.

Wonder worry about the thesis/dissertation, it's just another part of the course that you get through when it comes to it!

Advertisement