Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need an Audi Mechanic for Nixer!

Options
  • 26-02-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

I've a 2002 Audi A6 1.8T. Drives perferct since I bought it in Nov last year. But not long after I bought it (private) the Oil pressure light came on while driving, it comes on after about 15 mins & then comes & goes. Might be Oil pump strainer needs a clean? Garage said it was oil level sensor but I can't see how.

Also the Engine management light is on.. Garage were not sure why (wasn't Audi Garage).

And now the Brake Pad Warning came on, but the Pads look good. so I think a Sensor needs replacing.

Anybody out there who can help me? Don't want to give it to a chancer, or fork out Audi dealer rates!

Thanks - evan any advice or experience of the same will be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Them 1.8s are prone to oil starvation from the strainer getting clogged. Make sure thats cleaned or replaced or else it will cost you more than a typical service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Find someone with experience of this problem to look at it. Where are you located?

We have seen loads of these. As Plug says they sludge up internally and the oil pump pickup pipe gets blocked. VW specify a larger oil filter to help with this problem on the A4/A6/Passat but a lot of people aren't aware of this and the wrong filter is often used.

Usually removing and cleaning the sump and replacing the oil pump strainer cures it but the longer you keep driving with the light flashing the more chance there is of doing damage to the engine. So the job should include an oil pressure test before and after to ensure the problem is sorted.

I have a picture here somewhere of a blocked strainer I will see if I can dig it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Thanks Lads for the Feedback.
    George I'm in Baldoyle, D.13 - sounds like there's a bit of work involved & it's gonna cost a few bob. But I know it has to get done so I'm gonna try arrange something tomorrow. Do you know anyone in this area you could recommend?

Also could this be the reason the Engine Management light is on?
    Thanks

It could well be the reason. These engines have a variable valve timing setup which uses oil pressure to adjust the timing on the inlet cam. If the oil pressure is low this system will be slow to respond or won't work at all in which case the ECU will log a fault code to that effect and turn on the MIL.

Here is the picture of the blocked pickup pipe with a light shone from the opposite end showing how badly blocked it was. This was removed from a 2004 A4 1.8T (belonging to a boards member) a couple of years back. We got it just in time. The car has since covered about 30,000 miles with no further issues.

DSCF3537.JPG

• Advertisement

Thanks for the pic - that looks bad! Almost completely blocked. Where are you based? I really want someone with experience of the problem to sort it out.

I've been driving it (lightly) with light on since Nov, previous ownder claimed it was news to him but who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Thanks for the pic - that looks bad! Almost completely blocked. Where are you based? I really want someone with experience of the problem to sort it out.

I've been driving it (lightly) with light on since Nov, previous ownder claimed it was news to him but who knows.

First.....stop driving it....now.

If you are loosing oil pressure due to the oil pick up problem then it doesn't matter how gently you drive, you will cause major damage.

At the same time, its far from unheard of for the oil level sensor to give trouble on VAG's either but, on the 1.8t especially, I wouldn't risk that assumption.

Nissan Doctor.. when I say lightly I mean mileage... to creche and back. But I know I need it sorted this week. I have a new oil level sensor I got on ebay - will give it to the mechanic to replace anyway.

Anyone want to do this work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Nissan Doctor.. when I say lightly I mean mileage... to creche and back. But I know I need it sorted this week. I have a new oil level sensor I got on ebay - will give it to the mechanic to replace anyway.

Anyone want to do this work?

It doesn't matter what you mean....if you have low oil pressure, and you start the engine, then damage is being done.

PM Nissan Doctor, he isn't too far away from you. I am near Portlaoise in Co Laois and even if you wanted to get me to do the work I wouldn't recommend driving the car over that kind of distance.

• Advertisement

Thanks George. PM sent to Nis Doc.
    Is it hard to access this pickup pipe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Two thumbs up for the oil strainer. Worst one of these I saw destroyed the turbo and the engine never sounded right after, bottom end knock etc. Cant stess enough the importance of regular oil and filter changes using correct weight oil.
    Oil level sensor can be checked handily enough the connector is at the bottom of sump with a multimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Had a similar problem with the oil strainer where the engine was ticking when it was hot and left idling. Got the strainer cleaned and has been fine since.

On the brake pads my light was coming on too. There was a boot missing off a cv joint and the grease was causing it to come on. Might be worth checking ;)

Okay so I got an Audi mechanic to clean the strainer & change the oil & the oil level sensor too... problem should be solved! But today the oil pressure light came back on! The mechanic said the pressure is fine & it must be the dash as he noticed it was a bit faulty (one display not working & the oil temperature gauge is faulty). He said it's an expensive job to replace the clocks & re-code! Anyone any other suggestins that won't cost me an arm & a leg on top of what I've already spent? Please! Thanks

Did he do an oil pressure test? If so what were the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you are happy that it is the dash pod and not an actual fault, there are companies that repair them making the whole process alot less expensive and I believe as its your own usit being returned, there is no dealer coding required either.

This company does them:
    http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Index.aspx?category=2 but I recently say an ad for an Irish company doing them too but I cant remember who they were

http://www.kcsystems.ie also repair clocks.

He said the oil pressure was fine. I was hoping you'd tell me of someone who'd repair the clocks so thanks a lot. apparently from what I can see on google the faulty dash clocks is common in the older A4 & A6.
    He said the gearbox (Auto) is common to go in these too so lets hope that is not next!

Advertisement