Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

can electric gates open more than 90 degrees?

• 29-03-2015 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

can electric gates open more than 90 degrees? or is a sliding gate the only alternative ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭altor

baby fish wrote: »
    can electric gates open more than 90 degrees? or is a sliding gate the only alternative ?

A sliding gate would be the better option if you have the room to allow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

What system have you ? most would open to at least 110 degrees with the exception of some opening to 180 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

altor wrote: »
    A sliding gate would be the better option if you have the room to allow them.
    +1
    Much better option if possible

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

OP a lot of different manufacturers have solutions whereby attachments can be fitted to allow swing gates to open more than 110 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭baby fish

I have room for a sliding gate alright.

When ye say sliding is a better option is that because its less likely to cause problems/break down when compared to a swing gate that needs to open more than 90degrees.

I would need it to open to atleast 120degrees and maybe a bit more.

1. could anyone suggest a few manufacturers of good quality opening attachments that I can look up and compare.
    2. are there any safety concerns with children i.e. getting crushed or fingers trapped etc with either method of opening - sliding gate/ swing gate opening over 90 degrees
    3. A rough price comparison - are sliding/swing opening gate attachments around the same price ?

Thanks all for feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Sliding gates would be the most dangerous of the two.. Loads of accidents of entrapments.
    I suppose both have disadvantages . you need to teach anyone who'd be using them how to operate them safely

FAAC have attachments for opening to 180 degrees. About € 1400 for 24v kit + 180 degree conversion + intercom and keypad.

CAME are another strong brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

Hi

You could have an underground automatic gate system.
    You could have the underground system with cogs on the motors instead of levers but your gate will only open back as far as your pier allow them to.

If you are considering an underground system. You will have to have a ducting from one side to the other for cabling. The boxes will have to be set in the ground. The most important thing to remember with underground systems is that the boxes are level and that you have a soak pit to allow rain water to drain away.

If you are thinking of a sliding gate. Again you will need ducting from one side to the other for your photocell. You will have to set a track in the ground from the open point of the gate to the closing point of the gate.
    There are different types of motors with different speeds and most good brands all have required saftey features required

Ditec & FAAC are good manafactures

Hopefully this is of some help

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭baby fish

thanks for info

Advertisement