Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi site Clonsilla road

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

chris85 wrote: »
    Junction was always a dangerous one. The setup with the shops and cars coming out often when pedestrian lights on.

Yes, a dangerous junction. Thank God no pedestrian was walking along that stretch at that very moment. Is that cottage occupied - hope it can get repaired quickly?

I always wonder about that junction if you're coming out of the Spar/Post office as you've no official green light. I usually try and exit by the Romayo's exit further up but sometimes you have idiots blocking the exit as if it's a parking space. I despise the whole parking arrangement in that tiny carpark and generally avoid except if I get a really bad craving for the chipper but sometimes you drive up and the entire parking area is full with car queues backing out onto the road....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's a difficult spot to get in and out of at times alright. I read elsewhere that the house is occupied by a couple who have lived there for a good number of years. Thankfully no one was hurt, I'm sure they got some shock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭ozmo

The details for refusal are up on the Fingal site now -

lol - Aldi are some chancers doing their car count traffic impact study during the “Beast From the East” snow storm in March 2018 - when we were all being advised to avoid any unnecessary journeys.

“Roll it back”

Aldi has placed a new planning application:

FW22A/0152 

1) Construction of a 2 storey commercial block fronting Weavers Row, Weavers Row, Clonsilla Rd, Clonsilla, Dublin 15 20 Jul 2022   Aldi Stores (Ireland) Limited, Anne O'Neill 

This will go largely unnoticed as they never removed their old site notice and we are in the middle of a holiday period / school break.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Irishnidge

Hopefully the planning goes ahead a great addition to an expanding area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Really? Aldi and Lidl are littered everywhere and it seems one can't be built without the other. The Lidl in Clonsilla covers the area sufficiently and then you have Dunnes in Ongar, Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi and Marks in Blanch Centre, Tesco in Roselawn and Supervalue in Blanch village and then both Aldo and Lidl a bit further in Ongar. How much more supermarkets do you want within close proximity of one another.

What the area needs is more doctors and dentists but that's the professions rather than the buildings to house them in.

They need to stop the underhanded tactics - like counting traffic during lockdowns when noone driving….

putting in submissions for planning days before christmas when offices closed and people in holidays

and counting grass on the roof as required parkland…

and people might be less suspicious.

I have not got to read the all new plans in detail yet… but it appears at first glance to be 9 blocks of buildings? Not just an Aldi shop.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Planning doesn't care. Almost anything gets approval these days.

The area has stuff stuck here and there at random. Looks awful.

They should leave space for a bridge (or bridges) into Kellystown and to replace Clonsilla Bridge which they will close at some point. But no they are going to just run out of space with no consideration of future needs.

Whaaaayy another supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, usually any improvements to the area get rejected, because "it would increase traffic in the area", or "it would be against the characteristics of the village" (which is to look and feel as much like the 1950's as possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ultraviolence

Whatever the outcome is, its important that they take into account the road closures/changes due to projects (level crossings closed, removal of roundabouts, extra unnecessary traffic lights etc) The same people who want this aldi are going to be the same people complaining that they cant get out of their estate on clonsilla rd.

Nothing should be given permission until the ongar barnhill road & kellystown rd, barberstown lane south upgrade is built. Then carry out a new traffic study and not during the summer holidays.

this application is using same traffic 'study' as the last application (which also copied the previous traffic plan). If an application is new then surely they need to update the traffic study.

Not bothered looking into every detail but what i can see is that there is no difference between this new application and the old one which was refused planning. The only difference is that theres a few housing units removed? Is there anything else? The same reasons for refusal should be used this time around.

Old site notice should be removed.

The land opposite hansfield train station has gone to planning permission. This includes retail units so why cant aldi build a store there? That also will prevent people (barnhill expected to have population of 4k) from coming onto clonsilla rd. https://barnhillgardenvillageshd.ie/ this should also be used as a reason for refusal. Barnhill will be home to a few shops and will have the road capacity to handle it.

Still trying to figure out whats the difference between lidl and aldi..... blanchardstown shopping centre is right there.

Or build the aldi without the housing units.

Post edited by ultraviolence on

• Advertisement

Well you get your wish, it looks awful with everything different, and lots of traffic.

I hadn't realized people actually liked this.

Same arsholes gave out about the l new lidl I'm sure

Soon be more lidls/Aldis than housing.

Bit dramatic

“Roll it back”

It looks like there is some space left for a bridge on their maps. The path to the space they have left looks very narrow and very close to the buildings- i would guess you could feel like you were intruding to access it…

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They did surely. And its a good store and very busy.

They promised to restore some of the green tree line they removed as part of the planning- they put 3 christmas trees in small boxes and never watered them. They died and Its nothing but concrete now at that end of the road.

Lidl is a good shop- but checks need to be in place so they dont wreck the place with unsympathetic development.

“Roll it back”

Lidl is a good shop- but checks need to be in place so they dont wreck the place with unsympathetic development.

Big white box fits right in...

In fairness there is no aesthetic to ruin. Its just a jarring mismatch of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Fair dues to Aldi's perseverance! They finally got planning permission after what, their 3rd or 4th attempt?

Good to see such a large unused site get developed and provide more choice for cost conscious consumers.

• Advertisement

I see it was appealed - by Aldi themselves -

they were not happy with three things:

1. Want delivery trucks from 6am-10pm and, 7am-10pm on Sundays
    2. They don't want the restriction Fingal applied to sell to real people - they want to sell the apartments to investors and funds.
    3. And an accountancy thing - they want to pay less fees to Fingal.

link

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Aldi finally have gotten the go ahead for this site with their objections to the conditions above addressed.

https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/315707

Advertisement