Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options
  • 08-10-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

[MOD]

SECURITY & PRIVACY:
    An issue has been brought to our attention regarding vehicle registration numbers visible in photographs, where the criminally inclined trawl the Internet looking for vehicles similar to their own, clone the number plates, and head off merrily accruing penalty points, not paying toll fees, and leaving filling stations without paying, leaving the unfortunate owner of the genuine vehicle having to deal with the Gardaí as they investigate these matters.
    This is likely much more of an issue on the big car selling websites, but it might be good practice to either obscure the number plate or not include it in the first place if you post a picture of your vehicle here.
    Obviously, don't post such details of other peoples' vehicles.

We've modified the forum Charter regarding this and a couple of other items to do with photographs/scans, see HERE.

If anyone want any of their old photos deleted, give the mods a shout by PM.

One more thing guys- THIS is a handy thread with a simple explanation on how to embed photos from a smartphone.

[/MOD]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm not sure if we have such a thread already, though I might start one, see if it goes anywhere.

Image0279.jpg

Feeding the savages this morning. Mixed between some old dears and ner'do wells kept in over the Winter and the rest of the flock who have been in off the hill for about two weeks now. Got more older ewes this year than I'd ideally like, my own fault for selling lambs two/three years ago that I shouldn't have to fit in with REPS numbers :rolleyes:

Being fed about 3/4lbs of ewe & lamb ration per day in one feed at the moment. If I up it to 1lbs per head I'll split the feed into morning & evening feeds. Right now, nothing is separated nor scanned. In the future I hope to be able to do this, but it'll require new fences and the cash isn't in the kitty at the moment.

So, they will lamb upside of the fence next to the troughs. As they lamb I'll move them down below which is saved for grass, growing OK at the moment, I'm happy with progress there as long as it continues. Next big job of work below side the fence is to split it in half with a new fence. Then I can start controlling the creeping thistles once the ewes & lambs move from one block to the other.

All ewes have got their booster of Heptevac P+. Lambs will get numbered, spectam, and have navels dipped in iodine as I move them from top to bottom.

Lots to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

we started a thread a while ago and were hopeing it could be made a sticky thread so we could all add on as we had pictures got no reply from mods:rolleyes::rolleyes:

leg wax wrote: »
    we started a thread a while ago and were hopeing it could be made a sticky thread so we could all add on as we had pictures got no reply from mods:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Got a link? I had no inclination of making this thread a sticky, unless it were to become popular enough to justify it tbh. Only so much space at the top of any page, becomes clogged up quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

leg wax wrote: »

maybe if a mod started a thread he might make it a sticky.

eh john!!

maybe even two stickies one for livestock and one for general photos.
    love looking at the pictures over on bff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

johngalway wrote: »
    Got a link? I had no inclination of making this thread a sticky, unless it were to become popular enough to justify it tbh. Only so much space at the top of any page, becomes clogged up quite quickly.
    no unless i go all the way down thru old threads and i cant work out links have to get my teacher to show me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

love your picture , the view is brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

ewes appear to be in good nick, hope lambing goes well,

the night frosts don't seem to affect you as much as further inland , all the hills around here are going off colour last week or so

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nice photo John, is that the sea or a lake below?

Can you copy and paste the steps for loading a photo on here please.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

dar31 wrote: »
    maybe if a mod started a thread he might make it a sticky.

eh john!!

maybe even two stickies one for livestock and one for general photos.
    love looking at the pictures over on bff

If it becomes popular, then I'm sure we'll be able to look at the various stickies and see can it be fitted in. Also, may change the thread to more general farming photos which could encompass livestock and other farming activities maybe. But, there's just the one photo here at the minute, get posting :D
    whelan1 wrote: »
    love your picture , the view is brilliant

Sure is! Can see dolphins in the bay sometimes as well.
    snowman707 wrote: »
    ewes appear to be in good nick, hope lambing goes well,

the night frosts don't seem to affect you as much as further inland , all the hills around here are going off colour last week or so

I just need to get some Spectam and a couple of other bits and pieces and my gear should be complete. If the weather is like it is now I'll be delighted. Figure lambs can take cold, or wet, but not both.

We're a lot milder here than even a few miles inland. Dad has land spread out across the area, one place can be white with frost when my place wouldn't have a touch at all. Problem is there's not much relief from the wind in off the sea, different inland with shelter belts etc to take the edge off it a bit.
    blue5000 wrote: »
    Nice photo John, is that the sea or a lake below?

Can you copy and paste the steps for loading a photo on here please.

That's the Atlantic, next stop Kerry, or Brazil :pac: We can see Mt Brandon some days off on the horizon.

I'll cheat here and direct you to two different ways of doing it posted in the Shooting section, both work, I use the Photobucket one. Complete guides with photos and all :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055376129

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

sittingspringer.jpg

Testing. If this works - Thanks very much John

• Advertisement

sittingspringer.jpg
    yessam wrote: »
    sittingspringer.jpg

Testing. If this works - Thanks very much John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Hi yessam

If you right click on your picture in Imageshack and choose open in new tab or new page then paste in the link from the new page your image should appear here
    Like this: Nice dog btw

sittingspringer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

2004 MTX 140 with Claas 250 RC
    Photo0100.jpg

My 12yr old sheepdog and the sister's useless yoke
    Photo0134.jpg

red menace wrote: »
    Hi yessam

If you right click on your picture in Imageshack and choose open in new tab or new page then paste in the link from the new page your image should appear here
    Like this: Nice dog btw

Thanks red menace. I will give it a go..

sittingspringer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭stanflt

hope this works-triplets sired by FLT

stanflt wrote: »
    hope this works-triplets sired by FLT

When were they calved and how're they doing? In the lap of luxury there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Was she scanned,(and triplets seen) or was it a surprise?
    Heifers, bulls or a mix?
    At least she will have the milk to rear them...........But the opportunity??
    All very snug there!

Suckler style triplets.
    Only one of them is hers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

stan if the triplets are 3 heifers will they all breed.i had a grandaunt who had twin heifers fr and one did not breed.it was a freemartin but i know a man who had twin fr heifers and both went in calf.

stan if the triplets are 3 heifers will they all breed.i had a grandaunt who had twin heifers fr and one did not breed.it was a freemartin but i know a man who had twin fr heifers and both went in calf.

As I understand it a freemartin is the result of being a twin to a male. Twin or indeed triplet heifers are not freemartins.
    I think statistically about 1 in 20 (5%) will breed. So you never know you could just get lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

It's very rare to get a freemartin in multiple births where all calves born are female, but i have seen one case of it where a cow aborted a male foetus and give birth to twin heifers two and a half months later, as a result both heifers were freemartins.

johngalway wrote: »
    When were they calved and how're they doing? In the lap of luxury there :)

about 2months ago-all sold now at this stage-we only keep breeding heifers. all three survived:)

Bizzum wrote: »
    Was she scanned,(and triplets seen) or was it a surprise?
    Heifers, bulls or a mix?
    At least she will have the milk to rear them...........But the opportunity??
    All very snug there!

2bulls one heifer. no not scanned-we dont scan at all. no real need to when we only ai.

as for milk she is given 37litres a day:)but she is getting a bit extra meal in the parlour just to help her over the birth and get her back in calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Suckler style triplets.
    Only one of them is hers!

2 opportunist thieves coming in from the back and side:D

We have twin heifers breeding away but vet reckoned on that "vets in Practice... Where bull/heifer twins 93% both are sterile. thats very interesting about the aborted bull leading to both heifers being sterile, lucky he didn't keep them two years:mad:

Bodacious wrote:
    We have twin heifers breeding away but vet reckoned on that "vets in Practice... Where bull/heifer twins 93% both are sterile.

I think thats an old wives tale! The 93% is in the ballpark for the heifer, but the bull is another matter. There is no good reason, that I know of, why the bull should be infertile as a result of sharing a womb!
    The heifer calf is likely to become masculinized having been exposed to the bull calfs hormones, but does this impact on bull fertility?

I think thats an old wives tale! The 93% is in the ballpark for the heifer, but the bull is another matter. There is no good reason, that I know of, why the bull should be infertile as a result of sharing a womb!
    The heifer calf is likely to become masculinized having been exposed to the bull calfs hormones, but does this impact on bull fertility?

No it's no old wives tale, while i have never heard of the bull being infertile as a result of a twin birth with the other half a female, there is some proof that the bull calf will have reduced fertility and in some cases may show signs of female characteristics (standing to be ridden).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

funny man wrote: »
    No it's no old wives tale, while i have never heard of the bull being infertile as a result of a twin birth with the other half a female, there is some proof that the bull calf will have reduced fertility and in some cases may show signs of female characteristics (standing to be ridden).

Couldnt confirm about the bull as with sucklers all would be sold/castrated anyway but heifers from Bull/heifer combined twins definitely didn't breed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

afaik when there are freemartin twins the bulls reproductive bits start formimg before the heifers and she develops male parts until her own start forming iykwim- that is the simpleton explaination

funny man wrote: »
    No it's no old wives tale, while i have never heard of the bull being infertile as a result of a twin birth with the other half a female

Thats exactly what I'm saying!
    I refer to infertility not reduced fertility. Thats a minefield I'd swiftly avoid!

Re: The proof of a bull getting all 'Girly' as a result of an in utero experience, I have not seen. But it sounds interesting. Good topic for discussion of a saturday night with a few pints, particularly as the OH is a twin to a male!

• Advertisement

Thats exactly what I'm saying!
    I refer to infertility not reduced fertility. Thats a minefield I'd swiftly avoid!

Re: The proof of a bull getting all 'Girly' as a result of an in utero experience, I have not seen. But it sounds interesting. Good topic for discussion of a saturday night with a few pints, particularly as the OH is a twin to a male!

Sorry johngalway but i think we fcuked up you're thread, but i couldn't resist sharing the condition of freemartinism; By Laurie Ann Lyon, Cow Calf Corner, Oklahoma Coopereative Extension Service. Freemartinism is recognized as one of the most severe forms of sexual abnormality among cattle.

07-05-10Some.gif This condition causes infertility in the female cattle born twin to a male. When a heifer twin shares the uterus with a bull fetus, they also share the placental membranes connecting the fetuses with the dam.
    07-05-10FreeMartin.jpg
    Image Reprinted from http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rfoster/repropath/flfgpics.htm

Robert A. Foster
    Department of Pathobiology
    Ontario Veterinary College
    University of Guelph

A joining of the placental membranes occurs at about the fortieth day of pregnancy, and thereafter, the fluids of the two fetuses are mixed. This causes exchange of blood and antigens carrying characteristics that are unique to each heifers and bulls. When these antigens mix, they affect each other in a way that causes each to develop with some characteristics of the other sex.

Although the male twin in this case is only affected by reduced fertility, in over ninety percent of the cases, the female twin is completely infertile. Because of a transfer of hormones or a transfer of cells, the heifer's reproductive tract is severely underdeveloped and sometimes even contains some elements of a bull's reproductive tract. A freemartin is genetically female, but has many characteristics of a male. The ovaries of the freemartin do not develop correctly, and they remain very small. Also, the ovaries of a freemartin do not produce the hormones necessary to induce the behavioral signs of heat. The external vulvar region can range from a very normal looking female to a female that appears to be male. Usually, the vulva is normal except that in some animals an enlarged clitoris and large tufts of vulvar hair exist. Freemartinism cannot be prevented; however, it can be diagnosed in a number of ways ranging from simple examination of the placental membranes to chromosomal evaluation. The cattleman can predict the reproductive value of this heifer calf at birth and save the feed and development costs if he is aware of the high probability of freemartinism. In some cases, there are no symptoms of freemartinism because the male twin may have been aborted at an earlier stage of gestation.

Estimates of the percentage of natural beef cattle births that produce twins vary. One estimate (Gilmore) puts the percentage at about .5% or 1 in every 200 births. Approximately one-half of the sets of twins should contain both a bull and a heifer calf.
    May 2007

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement