Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Airline approved Dog crates

• 20-02-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Dear all
    Does anyone know of a company or person in Ireland who makes airline approved Doggie crates to ship them abroad. Lufthansa require a special crate for a staffordshire and I am having a awful time trying to locate someone who can make these or already has some in stock.
    This shipping him aboard just ain't easy!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Davy1020

Thanks I received - prob with the first company you mentioned they are a freight forwarder from what I can see of them and they don't make them so they employ someone and add on a profit to it - I need to source someone who I can employ directly - but many thanks anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It has to be wood, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

kylith wrote: »
    It has to be wood, does it?

It's probably better not made of wood. OP, get the specs from the airline and then shop the pet stores. My dog recently flew in a big plastic box with a wire door - like a giant cat box.

Edited to add an IATA approved crate should be fine but is there some reason they've requested a wooden box like for exotic animal transport? I can't see anything on lufthansa's site that refers to dog breed and crates...

If it doesn't have to be wood I have some airline approved crates that turned out to be too big for my dogs. PM me if you want to take one off my hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

I moved my fellah Zeus from Ireland to Canada recently, the company provided the crate we used.

if you have any questions im happy to answer them for ya.

techno can you pm me please:) who you used and cost:)

kylith how big are your crates? my GSDs are too big for the plastic ones apparently and have to have wooden ones made:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

ppink wrote: »
    techno can you pm me please:) who you used and cost:)

kylith how big are your crates? my GSDs are too big for the plastic ones apparently and have to have wooden ones made:rolleyes:

well zeus is a GSD and fully grown, about 40kg when we shipped him.

TechnoPool wrote: »
    well zeus is a GSD and fully grown, about 40kg when we shipped him.

yes our guys are about the 40kg mark too! The plastic as far as i can see has to be 5/6cm higher than the dog with its head up, and I hav enot been able to find any this size yet. One transport comapny said they would have to go by wood crate.
    who did you fly Zeus with?

They're too big for cairns, I know that much. Let me see if I can dredge up the dimensions....

71 x 52 x 55 cm (L x W x H)

• Advertisement

lol I dont think I could squash my poor little schnookims in there:D pity though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

I have an airline approved kennel that I haven't quite got round to selling. I used it to fly my dog from Budapest and it passed all the necessary requirements for flying and is airline approved. I bought detachable wheels for it too so I could haul it around and then just detach them when needed :) It has a storage compartment too which was handy for storing the wheels and dog food :)

It's only been used once (still has the airline stickers on it!) and its wasted here! I think its 92 x 64 x 64 cm (L x W x H) if you would be interested?

I spent almost a year organising bringing my dog from Budapest to Dublin and can tell you anything and everything about travelling with a dog and which companies to use and who to avoid. Flying direct to Dublin was going to cost me 1200 which is outrageous (there is only one vets practice for the entire south of Ireland who can view and approve a pet according to their passport...so they can set their own price!). I instead flew Budapest to Manchester, Manchester to Hollyhead via train (with an overnight stay in a travel lodge) and then used a ferry to Dublin. The entire thing cost me about 600! It took a little longer but it wasnt stressful at all and I would do it again if I had to! Everyone was so helpful especially when they saw I had a dog and had traveled so far!

So yep, if you need any help at all or are interested in the kennel please let me know :)

Advertisement