Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Distance from Train station?

• 13-08-2015 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Does anybody know how far the train station in Limerick is from Mary I? Would it be short enough to walk every day??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Have you tried google maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tanya234

Obviously... Wanted to see if anybody does that commute - google maps cant tell me what the area is like, if it is ok to walk through or would I be better off to get a taxi..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If it is close by in terms of distance (which was your question) that will be clear on google maps

In terms of whether it is a safe/good walk try Google Street View and follow the route, will usually be pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

15 minute walk, all flat. My 15 year old daughter walked that route regularly without any issues for a full school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

During the day => OK.
    At night => Not a hope!
    Colbert St is dodgy as f%ck.

• Advertisement

Thanks db, thats the type of answer I was looking for :)

davo2001 wrote: »
    During the day => OK.
    At night => Not a hope!

Ok will keep that in mind. Daylight hours only. Thanks :)

During the day => OK.
    At night => Not a hope!

Really? I would consider Limerick city centre vary safe to walk around day or night and you would rarely hear of trouble in that areas other than cars being broken into in the station carpark.

Do you have any details to back up your statement?

db wrote: »
    Really? I would consider Limerick city centre vary safe to walk around day or night and you would rarely hear of trouble in that areas other than cars being broken into in the station carpark.

Do you have any details to back up your statement?

Since when is Colbert St Limerick city centre?

Example 1: If you walk from Colbert St towards punches cross, you pass Wolfe Tone street, wasn't someone murdered there 6 weeks ago? Isolated incident possibly but still.

Example 2: Drove past that block of derelict flats to the right of the train station last week, had to pick someone up at the station. Open drug dealing. (During the evening around 7pm)

Want anymore? Don't get me wrong db, i like Limerick, live there myself but it's fair from prefect, the same as any other city.

You make out in your post that it would not be safe to walk around Parnell St, Davis St, Mallow St etc at night. That murder you try to support this with took place in a house on a street off Wolfe Tone St. You have no evidence of that area being any worse than any other part of Limerick yet you decide that it is "dodgy as f%ck". You should be writing for the Independent.

• Advertisement

Haha, excuse me so if I don't wanna walk around an area that does open drug dealing and people being murdered, must be getting soft in my old age.......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Haha, excuse me so if I don't wanna walk around an area that does open drug dealing and people being murdered, must be getting soft in my old age.......

Wolfe Tone Street is grand. Cop on. There are 3 lovely bars at one end, and loads of students renting at the other end. City Campus is also just around the corner at the top of the hill, loads more students around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The area you'd be walking through would normally be very busy, so would think safe enough. 15 minutes sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The incident on Wolfe Tone Street earlier in the year was a domestic incident. It's a quiet residential area.

Tanya, there is a Coke Bike station in Baker Place (Taits Clock) and one outside the main gate to the college, that could be an option too.

The incident on Wolfe Tone Street earlier in the year was a domestic incident. It's a quiet residential area.

Tanya, there is a Coke Bike station in Baker Place (Taits Clock) and one outside the main gate to the college, that could be an option too.

Oh thats good to know - thank you! :)

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi Tanya

This is the route we often recommend to students who are unfamiliar with Limerick.
    Basically a two line route, leave the college gate walk straight down South Circular and Henry Street to the Mallow Street Junction, turn up Mallow Street and continue straight to the end and the bus station is directly across the road. Takes about 18 minutes and both roads are pretty busy. It's the most straightforward route to explain to students while you learn the area and gain more confidence in your surroundings.

Hope this helps

http://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Mary+Immaculate+College,+South+Circular+Road,+Limerick/Colbert+Station,+Parnell+St,+Co.+Limerick/@52.6568758,-8.6355865,16z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x485b5c86f91e7809:0x123f2ed84e6b574e!2m2!1d-8.6399951!2d52.6529319!3m4!1m2!1d-8.6319932!2d52.6606849!3s0x485b5c63c126c835:0xd281db7973d46093!1m5!1m1!1s0x485b5c65135ee189:0x2f9b0276d50e6823!2m2!1d-8.624011!2d52.6586903!3e2

Advertisement