Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Orizio wrote: »
    Landers is fave for the Minors...although knowing the CCB they won't give it to him.

TBH if they were going to give him the job, he would have it by now. The fact that they are delaying is ominous, as Landers definitely wants it.
    I agree ,its a bad sign their waiting that long.

Landers everyone knows wants the job ,last two years.

He has been availble all the time.

I think board like they dne with cleary with the football team will seem like that its a two horse race,and landers has bm thrown in their,but the mind is made up ,pat ryan.

Pat ryan,they also waited to c would he be available as they were unsure he could commit to it.

They held and waited and nw ryan can take it ,wnt give it to landers but ryan.

Landers if they had to would give it to him,bt he would not be their preffered choice.

Ryan,wont be as bad as others though but its not fair on landers.

I wouldnt say landers was a favourite.I dnt think he could be regarded as one with hes history of the strikes.

I would say rather than favourite ,he would be the popular choice among most in cork gaa to get the minor job.

Seamus Harnedy at last some good luck.

Glenbower beat lisgold east junior football final.He got a goal.

After loosing hes last three games to extra time or a replay he was with joe deane on the winning side in this replay.

Hard luck on st vals and Briege corkery,beaten in the munster final by a point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted for the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Aidan Walsh just got stretchered off in the international Rules game. FFS!

Aidan Walsh just got stretchered off in the international Rules game. FFS!
    What happened him?

F**king joke .

I knew that wd happen,i said it two wks ago.Kanturk should be livid.

If cork or cuthbhert or eire og any sense ,they pull out sheehan out of it.

He with hes record a huge huge risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

It didnt seem much. he was going for the ball and seemed to slip a bit and fell into the Aussie who seemed to hit him on the knee by accident.He was moving it a bit and the stretcher was brought out to take him off. Hopefully its not too bad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think he'll be grand. He didn't look in too much discomfort going off - more precautionary than necessary hopefully.

It didnt seem much. he was going for the ball and seemed to slip a bit and fell into the Aussie who seemed to hit him on the knee by accident.He was moving it a bit and the stretcher was brought out to take him off. Hopefully its not too bad

Jesus ,just when he was going play hurling next year.

Cuthbhert on the paper then saying that late games up north league caused burnout due to arriving home late,up work etc next day ,as it slowed recovery.

What the **** does he think this game in cavan will do.

Cuthbhert wasnt in the job be fair last wk to crib,but he wnt say a thing next wk as frank wants them to play aussie rules and the clubs made clear nt object to games being put back.

Cuthbhert may turn out to be a gd coach but the last wk has confrmed he is a board man.

That worries me.

I see a lot of cork players tweeted good luck to ireland etc tonight none said anything with cuthbherts appointment.

Normally you would get some thing.

Walsh did say that it would be interesting who selectors were.Im nt sure is that a good vibe from the players.

The selection set up crucial.Gene o driscoll i heard is one.He is u21 selector,and while he has crtics the man knows hes football.

He would be v good and also provide a link between u 21 and senior.

F**k me what a day in the county junior hurling.They say it comes in threes.

Grenagh,tom kenny beat blackrock,a much rated team,lots of minor and u21 county medals winners,with sherlock,ryan,o keoffe,in tonights semi final.

Kenny 1-5.

Kilbrin v castlematyr ,winners play Grenagh the final.

Currow beat st marys kerry intermediate final,it looks like they will be clyda rovers opponents should clyda win their semi final.

Meant to be a hard tough team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Boots234

Currow beat st marys kerry intermediate final,it looks like they will be clyda rovers opponents should clyda win their semi final.

Meant to be a hard tough team.

Currow will have a tough battle against Miltown Malbay of Clare in their semi final first (presuming Miltown beat the Limerick champs)

Boots234 wrote: »
    Currow will have a tough battle against Miltown Malbay of Clare in their semi final first (presuming Miltown beat the Limerick champs)

When is that on?anyone of note with Miltown.

Currow have seamus sclanon at m field.

Walsh is meant to be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Boots234

When is that on?anyone of note with Miltown.

Currow have seamus sclanon at m field.

The Limerick or Clare champions are at home to the Kerry champs on the 10th of Nov. Miltown are a tough, hard team with a few handy players. They won their intermediate final by 15 points

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

F**k me what a day in the county junior hurling.They say it comes in threes.

Grenagh,tom kenny beat blackrock,a much rated team,lots of minor and u21 county medals winners,with sherlock,ryan,o keoffe,in tonights semi final.

Kenny 1-5.

Kilbrin v castlematyr ,winners play Grenagh the final.

It really isn't surprising, the senior clubs often falter at this stage of the competition.

Orizio wrote: »
    It really isn't surprising, the senior clubs often falter at this stage of the competition.

Thats true but I would say you would have got some odds for castlematyr ,kilbrin and grenagh to win all 3 yesterday.

Castlemaytr did beat sars in 2010 but I dont think With Lawton out anyone gave them much chance.
    Not many from kilbrin i talked to yest thought they would win.Their was a huge crowd their,a lot from duhallow,the likes of meelin,freemount,tullylease ,shouting for kilbrin.

Buttevant was in superb shape,a nightmare for parking though .I cant understand why it wasnt in Mallow,both teams would not have minded id say.

For the sake of another 15 minute drive at most.

Its more of a suprise blackrock got beaten .A lot of minor and u21 county medal winners.

Its hard to call the winner,all teams left have a standout player.

Kilbrin were outplayed for about 40 minutes,and Egan wasnt great.

But from here on in,he thundered in to game from centre back.One puckout from morrisey he gathered it,broke past three lads,rifled over from 60 yards.

Morrisey ex cork sub goalie was awful at times,the kilbrin goal he should of saved.

Newtown were shell shocked.Next ball in o connor fouled a kilbrin lad,sheehan buried the penalty.

Newtown came back in to it.Everyone tgt newtown had it won when o reilly missed an easy free 25 yards out.

Ben got two great scores ,and it was back to four.They stuck at it though.And two down with a min of normal time left,Egan won ball after ball.

Hes intercounty fitness and power stood out.Newtown were flat.

The ref played 4 min injury time,and rightly so as before the penalty was taken,play stopped for at least three minutes.

What showed yesterday was that ben and jerry still have the touch,the legs are gone though.

Ben looked heavily strapped and wasnt moving that well i thought.But when he got the ball,some great points ,and a superb sideline against the wind.

Cant wait for todays games.

Id like to see ballymartle win,unlikely but willan kearney and connor sul are out.

I think it could be closer than people thing.Ballymartle will give everything.

On the other semi,im not two bothered who will win,both have more to offer cork than sars.

I may be on my own here,but the weather the way it is,i have a fancy for Na piarsaigh.

Their half back line will love todays heavy ground ,and midelton have plenty of hurling no doubt,but today will show if they have the aggressison to dog it out today.

This could be very tense and close.

If lehane is limited,not necassirily held, it will be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Laughed aloud at this on fb

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Vital part of Cork GAA.:rolleyes:

Man Pairc ui Chaoimh is a eye sore these days

Its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

It really is! And the surrounding area is also shocking.

Had a look at the old showgrounds during half time at one of the games today. What an eye sore!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Eyesore is the only way to describe it alright!

Mourneabbey won Munster senior plate competition and Boherbue won the Intermediate title

• Advertisement

Sars won well in the end 0-24 v 1-12 - quite a good game by all accounts.

But the big surprise was the second game, boring!!- a right old hammering of Na Piarsaigh by Midleton.

Pairc has not seen even a lick of paint in years yet now it wants 67m.Its beyond a joke.

At pairc today,sars totally dominant against ballymartle.Donal og grady was helping them out the last few weeks,that could not even bridge the gap.

They missed vital frees but in truth were outplayed.

Cussen and cian mac and ray ryan dominant ,does not say much for the opposition.

Na piarsaigh i was shocked,never put up a fight even when cian buckley got a soft goal.Wallis made a poor mistake.

Na piarsaigh were riddled with injuries,gould,gardiner were not fit to start,but they had to ,they had no chance without them.

Ronan mcgregor was injured two.

Gould has been plauged by a hamstring all summer .He is a great talent.

Ian mcdonnell tried in vain,bt got no supply.I would not be too harsh him today.He did miss a awful free,20 yards out ,do and was of radar .

He won sum good ball.

Lehane roasted sean og for pace,a bullet of a goal,great work by o farell who wasnt selfish today,and first time all year for cork and club got stuck in and was top notch.

Aidan ryan who i remain to be convinced is intercounty standard got a great goal,dne well.

Haughney i didnt think was great today.

Nagle was good,and patrick o mahony was excellent.Cork have lots of corner backs.

Bud started well but faded.

Lehane is beginning to go to another level,he is like you would expect your marpuee intercounty forward to,take control and make hes mark on the game.

He will do untold damage to sars without sullivan out,and bar martin and quigley,i think the rest of the sars defence is poor.

If lehane gets on ray ryan,joe barry ,he will torment them.He destroyed sean og who is a much better defender at hes age than those two.

I thought midelton would struggle if it was close,but this was never close.Lehanes goal changed it.

I have said this time and again,joyce aint a midfield player.He never will be.

Club and county are going to ruin him by playing him their.

He has no where near the pace for midfield.A fine player made look awful.

Should be a great final,i hope sars are beaten.

Eyesore is the only way to describe it alright!

Mourneabbey won Munster senior plate competition and Boherbue won the Intermediate title
    Its been some week for clyda rovers.

Fair play to both.

Mallow beat duhallow u21 hurling quater final.

Rebel leader

Cork’s new manager Brian Cuthbert has much work to do if he's going to win over the doubters

Brian Cuthbert inherits a panel which is within reach of Dublin, Kerry and Mayo
    Business at Tuesday night’s meeting of the Cork county board proceeded with a familiar, ruthless efficiency, pausing briefly to announce Brian Cuthbert as the new senior football manager before applying a full stop to all subsequent discussion like the bang of a judge’s gavel.

Michael Maguire, the Castlehaven delegate, asked for some detail on the reasons behind Cuthbert’s appointment ahead of his old teammate John Cleary. County chairman Bob Ryan pulled his kite to the ground before it got airborne. The discussions were confidential, he said, before taking aim in the usual direction and letting off a few shots to scatter any lingering crows.

Local media reports that the interviews with Cuthbert and Cleary addressed the subject of dual players, Ryan said, had been erroneous, damaging and completely untrue. Perhaps, he said, one particular newspaper had a mischievous agenda when it came to Cork football.

Same old story with the CCB, they make the decisons but are answerable to no one,not even the club delegates.

Eammon sweeney in the sunday independent,from sligo but now living in castlehaven the last ten years or so,wrote a good piece on what makes castlehaven tick,and the village itself.A good read.

I was amazed though that he not even once touched on cleary not getting the cork job.

For a writer not short of words ,in the last strike when he was against the players he didnt say much about hes club man nt getting the job.

I dont mind cuthbhert getting it,but over cleary doesnt make sense.

It was said in the in the times that cleary fiery temper did not go down well with a few officals in the past.

If that it is true, then why was Teddy mac given a job with the cork seniors hurlers.Hes temperament is no better or worse than clearys.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

I have to say William Egan took the Newtown game by the scruff of the neck in the second half (I suppose as you should expect from him at Junior Level) and he was a joy to watch especially in the last quarter of an hour with superb points to send Kilbrin through to the County Semi Final!

Ben and Jerry O'Connor still have the touch of class, e.g. Ben scored a lovely sideline cut, but will it be the last we'll see of the twins?!

With Kilbrin, Castlemartyr and Grenagh still left in the competition, it seems to me very open and any team can win this County!

Also, Best wishes to Noel O'Leary, a great servant to our footballers!
    I'm also looking forward to seeing how Brian Cuthbert will do as from what I hear he's a top class coach!

I have to say William Egan took the Newtown game by the scruff of the neck in the second half (I suppose as you should expect from him at Junior Level) and he was a joy to watch especially in the last quarter of an hour with superb points to send Kilbrin through to the County Semi Final!

Ben and Jerry O'Connor still have the touch of class, e.g. Ben scored a lovely sideline cut, but will it be the last we'll see of the twins?!

With Kilbrin, Castlemartyr and Grenagh still left in the competition, it seems to me very open and any team can win this County!

Also, Best wishes to Noel O'Leary, a great servant to our footballers!
    I'm also looking forward to seeing how Brian Cuthbert will do as from what I hear he's a top class coach!

Were you at the mallow duhallow u21 game by any chance in dromina?Any one stand out?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Were you at the mallow duhallow u21 game by any chance in dromina?Any one stand out?

Yeah I was... Well for Mallow I thought Cormac Murphy centre back cleaned up and Pa Herlihy and Sean Hayes got the goals and were effective up front. For Duhallow, Donal Hannon and Aidan O'Flynn were their best forwards with their full back (no. 18, there wasn't a program) did well also.

Mallow got two early goals to give them a lead that was never really threatened. Overall, not a great game. Also, players who were starting for the Kanturk and Kilbrin teams were pulled out of yesterday's game, which I feel is not fair on the Duhallow team.

Yeah I was... Well for Mallow I thought Cormac Murphy centre back cleaned up and Pa Herlihy and Sean Hayes got the goals and were effective up front. For Duhallow, Donal Hannon and Aidan O'Flynn were their best forwards with their full back (no. 18, there wasn't a program) did well also.

Mallow got two early goals to give them a lead that was never really threatened. Overall, not a great game. Also, players who were starting for the Kanturk and Kilbrin teams were pulled out of yesterday's game, which I feel is not fair on the Duhallow team.

thanks lad, thats a balls at harty cup games also,helmets hard to know players.
    Herihly and sean hayes i rate highly.

Where did killian o connor play?full back

Alec luttrell did he play?ryan harkin ,aron sheehan

I wanted to go to that but went to the pairc instead.

Yeah its hard on duhallow,thomas o reilly kilbrin was underage ,bt played sat,and i think Ian walsh was too from kanturk.

A joke players miss club game,as kanturk in a final two wks yet walsh is allowed play a mickey mouse ,farcial aussie rules game and the game is put back just to suit the executive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Ian walsh is out for the year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement