Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB 6 Tutorials

• 23-09-2007 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

I am wanting to learn Visual Basic, I got VB 6 from College, and I was just wondering if any of you knew any decent tutorial sites? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would say get a good book, you'll probably pick up a vb6 one in chapters for next to nothing (if you're in Dublin). Or buy one online - from expereince avoid anything written by the Mandlebrot Set.

I would say, however, that getting Visual Basic express from Microsoft's site and learning that would be of far greater use to you both from a coding point of view and for getting work. Plus there's far more resources out there for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

Microsoft's video tutorials might be a help:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/bb466226.aspx
    With them you can see exactly what you are supposed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Troublesome

Evil Phil wrote:
    I would say get a good book, you'll probably pick up a vb6 one in chapters for next to nothing (if you're in Dublin). Or buy one online - from expereince avoid anything written by the Mandlebrot Set.

I would say, however, that getting Visual Basic express from Microsoft's site and learning that would be of far greater use to you both from a coding point of view and for getting work. Plus there's far more resources out there for it.

He's doing either BTEC or GNVQ (most likely BTEC?) IT and needs the distinction in programming - learning vb.net would end up making him fail. He needs vb6 as, if its like my college, they dont use .net

(Even though we had both ... wth ... the syllabus said vb6)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

He's doing either BTEC or GNVQ (most likely BTEC?) IT and needs the distinction in programming - learning vb.net would end up making him fail. He needs vb6 as, if its like my college, they dont use .net

(Even though we had both ... wth ... the syllabus said vb6)

There isn't a great deal of difference between the two. Knowing VB.NET is probably of more benefit I would say. But VB6 is probably easier to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

lukin wrote:
    There isn't a great deal of difference between the two. Knowing VB.NET is probably of more benefit I would say. But VB6 is probably easier to learn.

Not so true.. they share the same name and some syntax similarities but thats about it.

There are plenty of VB6 tutorials and starter kits online. Best off getting some sample projects and working form there. Makr sure that your VB6 environment is patched to SP6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 JasperMcEwan

Try here http://www.vbtutor.net/lesson1.html This is a VB6 tutorialI think. Plenty of sites online.

Anyone know where in Dublin I can buy a full copy of VB6. Already have working model edition but help files don't work on that version.

Advertisement