Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

remote access oracle database

Options
  • 24-09-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Lets say a company has an oracle database of data.

This database exists on a server.

How would one go about remotely accessing this database?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

quinnd6 wrote:
    How would one go about remotely accessing this database?

That's a very open-ended question.

It depends on a lot of things. VPN springs to mind, but it would depend on how the server/network is configured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Java ODBC as long as you have the Connection details. And are on the Network

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Assuming you have a PC that can currently access the DB through TOAD, SQL Plus, etc you could remote desktop connect to that PC and use it to access the DB.

Of course the underlying problem of whether the firewall will allow you to remote connect to ANY machine still exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Im trying to let someone else access the db.

Im now trying to create a new user in oracle who will only be able to view a certain number of tables.

I tried
    create user username
    identified by password;

I got this error
    ERROR at line 2:
    ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

Does that mean I havent assigned the right privelages to this user or does it mean I don't have privelages to create a user?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

quinnd6 wrote:

Im now trying to create a new user in oracle who will only be able to view a certain number of tables.

I tried
    create user username
    identified by password;

I got this error
    ERROR at line 2:
    ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

Does that mean I havent assigned the right privelages to this user or does it mean I don't have privelages to create a user?

it means you dont have the privileges to create a new user (or whoever you were logged in as to be more precise)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

quinnd6 wrote:

How? You said a remote database. How remote? Different company? Different country? Different PC?
    quinnd6 wrote:

It means you don't have privileges to create a user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Theres an external company that needs to query the database Im using in the company I work for.

Im not accessing the database remotely myself.
    I can connect to it locally.

I'm a programmer and I wasnt sure what rights I have.
    So I dont have rights to create user accounts for the database as Im not an administrator.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

quinnd6 wrote:
    Theres an external company that needs to query the database Im using in the company I work for.

Im not accessing the database remotely myself.
    I can connect to it locally.

I'm a programmer and I wasnt sure what rights I have.
    So I dont have rights to create user accounts for the database as Im not an administrator.

thanks

Well then first up your going to have to have your network configured to allow them to access the server that the DB is on.

Second Yes Creation of users is a right that normally only DBA's have so they have to set up your user and grant them the access rights you speak of. If the DB is yours well then you need to remember the sysadmin password I think there is a Oracle default of "changeme"

My option would be to create a View showing them the data they want an just giving them access to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BocArdee

When opening an SQL plus session try

"sqlplus connect / as sysdba". In most instances this should authenticate you as
    the sysdba and your can create your user from there....

Hope this helps...

To connect remotely you can use terminal services to get onto your Oracle box,
    if its windows, if its a unix box once you can connect to the local network you should be able to telnet/ssh to the box put this depends on a range of factors such as firewall ports, VPNs, Routing tables etc etc...

Advertisement