Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due July 2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    Silly - you just start using it & can change bank accounts etc by bringing in your marriage cert. In your case there is no need to deed poll the change. If you, your husband & your daughter wanted to you could change her surname to match the rest of you by either deed poll (you can complete the process yourself fairly easily) or by common usage which basically means you just change her name with schools, doctors etc & after 2 years its accepted as her new name...personally I would deed poll as its more official :)

oh i didnt know i could change my daughters surname!
    She is 11 now though, so i think she will have her own thing to say about it. I dont think she will want to change it, but its nice to know that the option is there.
    Still need to collect our marriage cert..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Silly for changing my name I rang revenue and gave them both our PPS numbers, rang all the utilities and changed over the phone and went into the Motor Tax office and gave them driving license and marraige cert and new form: it's free to change. I never changed passport: I planned on it but have better things to be spending money on!

Work STILL haven't changed it bit everything else is in my married name now :D

Mary is going to be babs middle name: its mine and my mums middle name, my grannies and aunts name and his mums. If its a boy (the 20% :p) middle name will be Patrick. Still don't know about first names!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Eliza is gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Silly - yes at 11 I am sure she will have her own feelings on it but if she wanted to, it should be pretty straight forward. You mentioned she has your surname rather than her biological fathers surname which should make it easier. As she is under 18, if it was his surname he might have to be involved...not 100% sure of the procedure for under 18 but it certainly can be done :)
    If you decide to change it, the deed poll office have an email for enquiries :) just know that you don't have to pay a solicitor to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

We are the same re wanting a selection of names to choose from but it's hard to move past a name you love :) you will know if it feels right when he is born & if not you can look at alternatives then! Boys names felt easier for us to pick than girls names so it was handy finding out the gender to give us a shift on girls names :D

My boyfriend just doesn't get this. We've settled on the boys name, but we can't agree on a girls name. I seen the name Neala, like a few weeks after I found out I was pregnant and we both fell in love. But then OH started referring to her as 'Nellie' and its put me right off.
    NyquistFreak we are double barrelling our surnames by deed poll so that our baby will carry both our names. They are not - don't they go lovely together - surnames but are not terrible either & in our situation it will mean my partner shares the same surname as our child which will help with school, travel etc! I can't give our child her surname (along with mine) unless I deed poll mine first so that's another job for May :)

In contrast my brothers wife didn't take our surname but their kids have. She is just assumed & goes by our surname at the school etc. doesn't seem to bother her that they assume she is mrs .... :) I think she finds it easier than explaining it over & over!

That's a great idea to double barrell your surnames!

My sis-in-law was the same, they weren't married but everyone assumed she was Mrs X because the kids had my brothers surname. And that was in England, I was surprised thought we'd only assume stuff like in backward old Ireland.
    Mink wrote: »
    Ok... I'm going to crack... the name I like for my wee boy is Leon.

Leon is lovely Mink! Thanks for sharing :)
    Mink wrote: »
    End of next week is my 30th but OH is gigging the whole weekend :(

It's my birthday at the end of next week too Mink...used to love that my birthday fell close to a bank holiday weekend, but don't think its going to make much of a difference now! We've a wedding next weekend anyway, so I wouldn't have the energy to go out for my birthday and the wedding.

In a right grump today. Picked OH up from work last night and he was in bad form coz he's been so busy all week.
    I was trying to talk to him about some stuff that's going on with my Dad at the minute. And he didn't even look up from his phone to acknowledge that I was talking to him. I got upset and a major argument followed!:mad: :( It was stupid and it only happened because we were both feeling crap.

I really hope my back eases up before next Tuesday because I'm really getting fed up at home.

Seen this pic on some pregnancy app this morn...it definately sums up how i'm feeling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Here's my expanding belly pic !!
    2012-04-25101712.jpg

29+3..

oh god.
    i'm 28+1 and TWICE that size...seriously..

p.s you look great!

silly wrote: »
    oh god.
    i'm 28+1 and TWICE that size...seriously..

p.s you look great!

Thanks Silly x

It gets huge in the night time when it's baby contortion aerobics time!
    Starting to get a bit of swelling going on in my feet after a long day in college or a day of walking around.
    Gonna up the water intake and see if that curbs it.

Was having a nosey in the August thread a few minutes ago and they were talking about our thread lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Ooooh will have to go look! :p

i'm going to post my pic now..
    i'm actually so embarrassed about how big i am..Why am i so big!!?

• Advertisement

28+1

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Mink, love the name Leon - it's lovely.

We liked Rueben for a boy but got a few funny looks when we said it - though if she comes out a boy we don't really agree on any other names so Rueben it will be!

I love Eliza too. And Jane - that's always been my favourite girls name but OH isn't too keen - he promises though the next one can be Jane if we have another girl...hmmm ;)

About the surname thing - I'm happy to have the baby's name the same as my OH's, doesn't bother me at all. We're planning to get married but I probably won't take his surname anyway. My OH has an unusual surname and if we double barrelled it with mine it would sound just awful so not doing that!

Girls your bumps look great!

28+1

Silly, You look brilliant!!!

morgan_bump_opt.gif?w=490

Not really a pregnancy topic but anybody know of any good websites to get a cheap hotel break - groupon have loads but they haven't had many lately and OH and I would love a couple of days away before baby arrives. Did I mention it needs to be cheap!? A hotel in the middle of nowhere with a pool would be perfect for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Looking gorgeous ladies, beautiful bumps! Love that cartoon Java, I may steal that.
    javagal wrote: »
    silly we.re set on spelling it zoe now, much more lady like for when she.s older!
    i loved olivia,elena and Eliza for girls too but oh loves zoe so well go with that!
    for boys we had, elijah,rueben and Jonah!

I like Zoe. I was 99% going to call baby Olivia if it was a girl! I also really like Elijah & Reuben... crap now I'm not sure re Leon haha.
    Kash wrote: »
    We had a lot of friends laughing their ass off at 'Melody' but at teh same time, they love it. There have already been lots of jokes about what we will do if she is tone deaf :) Our surnname begins with B, so there have been quite a few Mel B/Spice Girl jokes too. To be honest, I don't care - we both love it, and we're pretty sure she won't hate us in 15 years because of it.

When you first said Melody (several threads back) I thought it was really nice. It's unique but not too out there at all. Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

28+1

Silly, I am a very similar size, i'll see if i can get a pic up later.

Loving all the bump pics, as usual :)

mamaheidi wrote: »
    Not really a pregnancy topic but anybody know of any good websites to get a cheap hotel break - groupon have loads but they haven't had many lately and OH and I would love a couple of days away before baby arrives. Did I mention it needs to be cheap!? A hotel in the middle of nowhere with a pool would be perfect for me :D
    I heard that todayfm breaks are meant to be quite good.

Boardsdeals have you at the moment for a place in clare, looks fab and has pool..

http://www.fallshotel.ie/accommodation.html
    Thats the hotel,
    Think it's 99e for 2 nights on boards

The lidl breaks can be quiet good value too. We got a nice hotel in Waterford a few weeks ago for €39 each b&b.

I wish a few of you ladies lived near me , kinda feel a bit alone as far as friends go and stuff, my best friend doesn't even visit me most the time.

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies, will check them out!

Same here Java, all I seem to do is work, phd, work, sleep, worry lately ;) Maybe you could arrange a lunch or dinner out with your best friend and explain things?

I hear you java. My best friend "dumped " me a year ago. My sister lives at the other side of the world. All my other friends are busy with their own families ( 3 with small babies) my husband is my best friend these days, and he's only in from work with about half an hour. Gone since 6.30. My other best friend is my 11 yr old daughter. Can't really bitch with her though can I?

Got really upset earlier. Hubby is normally home for 9, or just before it. By half 9 there was no sign of him and no call or txt to say he'd be late, which is unlike him. My husband is a farmer and a local lad died in a farm accident 2 weeks ago. So I freaked out when I rang my husband and he didn't answer. I was wondering if I should go up to the farm, but my daughter was in bed so I couldn't leave her. All things went through my head. He rang me 5 mins later to say he was on his way. I just bawled after I hung up, and pulled myself together before he got here.

Emotional or what!!!!

I hear you java. My best friend "dumped " me a year ago. My sister lives at the other side of the world. All my other friends are busy with their own families ( 3 with small babies) my husband is my best friend these days, and he's only in from work with about half an hour. Gone since 6.30. My other best friend is my 11 yr old daughter. Can't really bitch with her though can I?

Got really upset earlier. Hubby is normally home for 9, or just before it. By half 9 there was no sign of him and no call or txt to say he'd be late, which is unlike him. My husband is a farmer and a local lad died in a farm accident 2 weeks ago. So I freaked out when I rang my husband and he didn't answer. I was wondering if I should go up to the farm, but my daughter was in bed so I couldn't leave her. All things went through my head. He rang me 5 mins later to say he was on his way. I just bawled after I hung up, and pulled myself together before he got here.

Emotional or what!!!!
    Aww silly this very much could be me!
    my bestie texts me All the time but never comes and sees me, she is also my ohs sister (met her first). i asked her over tonight and id buy her chips but she didn't text back and went shopping with my two sister in laws,in my town, and didn't invite me.
    i know its prob me being jealous but i feel left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Agh poor you Java. I notice one friend has fecked off but she had a miscarriage not that long ago and her relationship broke down so I think thats why. My best friend has a 1 year old and new baby I usually go to her because the logistics of her coming to me just don`t work!

Aw Java, that's cruel. Are u going to say something to them? That's very childish behaviour.

There is a bit of distance between me and my best friend, but I think I might have created it because all she wanted to talk about was baby and I just felt like screaming at her I'm still here! She works away during the week and we might only get to catch up every two or three weeks anyway.
    My other close friend has been great, her sis just recently had a baby so I suppose she kinda has a better understanding of where I'm at right now.

When baby comes, if u have time it would be worth joining a parent and toddler group, but I know that's a long term solution.

Hope ur feeling better today, plan a nice Friday treat for yourself x

Again... this is why I'm thankful for this thread, I'd literally crack up otherwise. I'd feel left out too Java, sometimes people just don't think about including others which is sad.

My OH is my best friend but as in the next two weekends with all his gigs, I'll barely see him and when I do we'll both be trying to get the housework/shopping done. I'm good friends with the girl in his band but I never see her either as she's gigging too, aaarrggghh.

My best friend from since I was 13 isn't in touch much but I'm not much with her either. She's really concentrating on her career & immigrating soon and she has lots of friends who live close by that she goes out with (I'm out in the sticks compared to her). I certainly don't hold it against her, I think we've just grown apart for years.

I like hanging out with & chatting my sisters but they are both in UK. So glad I get to go see one of them next weekend.

I think I'm definitely going to join up with a mother/baby group but... it won't be the same. I'll have to make the effort I guess.

Also, I think when I get a new car (whenever the feck that will be) and I can get in and out of town easier or go visit people/meet up, that will help. My car has been dying a slow death over the past year and it's really put me off going to see people. Although, don't think I can afford the petrol now!

As an aside, I went to see GP last night to get him to sign my "fit to fly" letter for airline. I'd not seen this GP before and he didn't check anything, just signed it off.

I asked him if it was okay if I put him down as my GP on the HSE form for the homebirth grant and he was fine with that. But then he says to me that if I go into labour on the weekend or evenings, he won't be able to attend the birth, only the on-call emergency doctor will.

I didn't say anything but I was thinking "eh, I'm not asking you to be at the birth, that's why I have a midwife and if there was any complications then straight off to the hospital for me". He must have thought this is the 40's and 50's when the local doctor attended births in the rural villages or something.

javagal wrote: »
    Aww silly this very much could be me!
    my bestie texts me All the time but never comes and sees me, she is also my ohs sister (met her first). i asked her over tonight and id buy her chips but she didn't text back and went shopping with my two sister in laws,in my town, and didn't invite me.
    i know its prob me being jealous but i feel left out.

aw, that sucks Java.
    I think some people just think that because you are pregnant that you can't do normal things!!
    i dont even get invited to the cinema anymore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

How do you go about finding a mother and baby group?

I am really out in the sticks, so I'm a little bit concerned - I don't think any of my friends are really baby ready despite their intense enthusiasm :rolleyes:

My OH is definitely my best friend, and we do everything together, but I have told him that I want to do something social/active/inetersting that involves other people - because I work from home, and work when the rest of my team is asleep (they're all Oz based) he is often the only person I really talk to for weeks on end - sometimes I have the poor post-womans ear chewed off just because she is someone else to talk to!

• Advertisement

Kash, check the local paper or your parish newsletter, sometimes they will have details. If there is like a community centre or something like that it might be worth giving them a call to find out if there is any groups meeting there.

Another thing that OH's cousins were telling me about at the weekend is Gaelic for mums...they had never had any interest in playing before but they said its great fun, way to get fit and a night off from putting the kids to bed. Its a newish initiative from the gaa. The cousins r based in a few different parts of the country and have organised a weekend "blitz" between their teams next month.

Mink, a car is really important if your in the country and can afford it. My sis found it very difficult to adjust when she have up work after having her 3rd. She was in the middle of nowhere and was stuck at home all day with the kids. It wasn't that she wanted to go anywhere but I think it was more the feeling of isolation that she had because the option to go out during the day wasn't there.

Advertisement