Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GPU Failure (Vaio FZ18E)

• 11-01-2009 9:03pm

Hi All,

I have the above laptop for over a year, it has the NVidia 8400M GT in it.

I have a Tri-Boot on it, and in Vista it was running very hot after 10 mins or so, temp was in excess off 75 and more.

Yesterday, in Vista it failed.

I am going to ring Sony tomorrow, though I think I am not going to get much from it, going by there forums, people with the same problem were quoted mad money to get it fixed.

I opened it up, and as expected, the GPU is soldered, more than likely I will have to purchase a new MOBO, I see on EBay I can pick one up for 300ish or so.

Does anyone know off anybody who can fix these without getting a new Mobo?

Any help on this would be very grateful, and many thanks in advance.

Regards.

James.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Get on to sony.

Those Nvidias have serious thermal issues associated with them. They may have extended the warranty period for gpu issues like dell have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Dell extended the warranty, and Apple and several other manufacturers. I don't think Sony did unfortunately.

If you bought it in Ireland (ie if there's somewhere you can physically go and complain) I would probably make an issue of it (demand refund under consumer law etc, demonstrate its not of merchantable quality) but that is an issue for the consumer forum.

As for your question - if its a soldered GPU I think about your only solution is a new motherboard.

Thanks lads for the reply.

I was aware that the 84 & 86 were giving these problems (sure it is all over the net) and that as you said Dell & Apple were dealing with any issues with no questions asked.

On viewing the Vaio forums, many a person has had this problem and Sony Japan were asked to look into the cards and according to the forum they announced that Vaio's were not affected by this issue. Laughing here.

Sure all I can do is, ring Sony in the morning and see what they say.

I wouldn't mind I am an IT Support Student and have my A+ and Network +, etc. And I knew I made a bad decision in purchasing this, I bought an antec laptop cooler and all for it.

The reason I asked about the GPU being soldered, I came accross a forum where a guy mentioned a business (it wasn't named) that can replace a soldered GPU, as soldering isn't one off my greatest skills that is why I asked the question here if anyone knew off anybody who could.

It looks like I have to get a replacement, with the same bloody GPU on the board. If I can I am going to try and avoid getting the 84 or 86.

Thanks again for your replys lads, again, I'll give sony a call and see what they will say, hopefully I will be suprised.

Again Much thanks.

regards.

James.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,548 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If the unit has failed though it might already be beyond repair from thermal damage. Do what you can to file your case under consumer law. filing a legal claim is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of the repairs, and in most cases companies wont try to fight over claims smaller than a few hundred worth of repairations: potentially you could win with no contest.

Thank you Overheal, Voodoo Child & jmccrohan for your replies.

Thats why I love boards.ie, you are always guaranteed a response.

Cheers All.:D

• Advertisement

No Joy from Sony...

It is out off warranty.. 4 mths

I would have to pay 150 pounds for it be collected and for them to do a Diagnostics test... Which would confirm what I already know.

I am just going to take out the CPU, HD, etc and I am going to take a Hammer to it and have fun....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Don't!!

Bring it to the small claims court. The product is not fit for purpose. It shouldn't break after a year.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Don't!!

Bring it to the small claims court. The product is not fit for purpose. It shouldn't break after a year.

Your right, it shouldn't go belly up after a year.

God, I have a ZX81 that still works and that's nearly 30 years old.

I kept this lappy clean, OS's trimmed, I kept all my files on a server I have at home, I used a Laptop cooler, etc....

I have downloaded the Small Claims form, and I am going to give it a shot..
    €1100 is a €1100....

Thanks again all for your support..

Advertisement