Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VYE Mini Laptop - Whats it like?

Options
  • 03-12-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I am looking to get a very portable Laptop.

Whats it must be/have - small, have good battery performance and capable of connecting to the internet.
    After that, there is little else I will use it for as I already have 2 PCs - desktop and laptop - the latter being approx 5 yrs old but still in day to day use as another desktop.

I'm leaning toward a touchscreen tablet type. I have seen the Vye Mini at Dabs.ie but I have yet to see them in the flesh so to speak. Has anyone used one and if so, how do you find it. I'm concerned about the processor and that the screen may be a little small but without seeing it I'm nor sure.

If anyone has used one or even laid eyes on it, what did you think. Is it user friendly or is it too small for a laptop?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

The Asus Eee PC is suppose to be quite good and they coming on the market about now. Designed to be cheap and do the job for internet access, general word processing, etc. The hard driver is pretty small and it's solid state memory so you don't have many moving parts. It's cheap and small though.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-154-AS&groupid=959&catid=956&subcat=

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Mantel wrote: »
    The Asus Eee PC is suppose to be quite good and they coming on the market about now. Designed to be cheap and do the job for internet access, general word processing, etc. The hard driver is pretty small and it's solid state memory so you don't have many moving parts. It's cheap and small though.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-154-AS&groupid=959&catid=956&subcat=

Agreed Mantel, the Asus Eee PC looks the business. I would be a little worried about the 4Gig HD space, another couple og gigs might be nice but you can't argue with the price. I guess it would be really handy on the move using mobile broadband from Vodaphone/02 or 3

My question still stands though, has anyone seen or used the VYE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I thought I replied to this thread but it seems I didn't:confused:
    Anyway, I saw a demo of this little thing when I was at a tech show in Japan and it really was TINY. It's the same size as the Asus which I own. Obviously the HD is an issue but how much are you planning on storing something with a screen this tiny? Batt life with my Asus is managing 4.5 hours with light use if it helps.

Thanks BanzaiBk.
    I am actually becoming more and more interested in the Asus.
    A quick question - has the screen size become an issue over time and do you find the storage sufficient.
    I would be lookin to put on a office type package, a browser and maybe one or two other apps. But I generrally like to keep my storage less than 1/2 - 2/3's full to keep it ticking along efficiently.
    I still like the tablet funtion on the VYE but its a hell of a premium to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Yeah the premium is quite extreme considering the Eee is roughly 320 euro depending on where you buy it. Screen size isn't an issue per se because I generally use it for typing/internet when I'm on the train, general commuting, out of the office work. The longest I've used it for was 3 hours on the train from Cork to Dublin then again for 3 hours on the way back. After that my eyes hurt a little bit (spectacle wearer).

I had winxp on it and took it off because I found personally it hampered the battery life but Open Office is pre installed on the Eee so I can use that for my typing/spreadsheets.There's the Firefox web browser preloaded on the Eee aswell, which works fine imo. When I had XP installed I found that IE7 seemed better for screen view, but now with Firefox I just press F11 to make the sitepage bigger.

As for the storage I would usually carry around a gig of live data for work and have no problems with it. When I get home I usually load up my work to my desktop the keep the drive free.

In fairness though, the EEE isnt for everyone. The keyboard is quite small, but I would imagine that it is the same size as the VYE, and takes some getting used to. Also it doesn't exactly have that "upmarket" feel that the VYE would have I suppose.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the input BanzaiBk. Its really appreciated.

Advertisement