Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard of service in Blanchardstown supermarkets

• 29-01-2012 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Okocim

Thought this might be an interesting thread to start. Based on my experience the standard of service and the 'working culture' of the staff in the different supermarkets around Blanch varies greatly.

Lidl staff work their back sides off it seems to me and are always on the go, alternating from stock control, checkouts, ect. Dunnes staff are a bit more ''relaxed'' in their work but always seem to be bitching and moaning to each other about something or other, Tesco staff in Roselawn is like walking into a scene from the living dead. Can't comment on M&S as I don't really go there. Not having a go as such, I just find the contrasts very interesting in terms of the different working cultures in the different supermarkets.

I stress the working cultures at play not the place of origin culture of the workers as there are people from all over the world working in all the different supermarkets...just to be clear there on that point.

Would be interested to hear what others think........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

superquin has more staff than customers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

M&S staff are so friendly and helpful.

There is a male cashier (poss. a manager) in the Aldi in Clonee who is ridiculously fast at scanning goods!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Pretty dismal apart from M&S. They're really friendly in there. I don't go to Superquinn enough to comment on it, but Dunnes in the centre and Tesco in Roselawn are awful. I nearly always feel like I'm inconveniencing them.

We've started to shop in Tesco in Cabra and it's like another world there. The shelves are fully stocked and the staff are friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Dunnes in Blanch Centre have shockingly bad customer service, for the most part (I say this just a few days after having one of my first helpful experiences in the store, but that's the exception rather than the norm). Never mind service a smile, you're lucky to not get sighed or tutted at when you get served there.

I've worked in a Dunnes before, so I can see why morale is likely low among staff, but the fact that they can get away with this behaviour in the midst of a recession when competition for low-level jobs should be high is a damning indictment of the lack of standards or regard for customer service Dunnes clearly have from the top down.

For that reason, I think that nowadays a good supermarket in the Centre (not including Lidl) that prided itself on good customer service and competitive prices would do extremely well. I know Roches went under years back...but the only reason I ever even use Dunnes anymore is lack of choice. And most people that I talk to feel the exact same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I go to Dunnes in Charlestown and the staff there are lovely. Gave up on Tesco Roselawn almost a year ago, everything about the place sucks. SQ have a tiny selection of stuff outside their deli and Dunnes in the centre is a kip, especially their fruit and veg selection.

I love M&S and their staff are amazing. However I can't justify doing all my shopping in there so usually only go for deals. Their dine in for 2 every second weekend is great, and they recently did a fab deal for Chinese New Year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I think Lidl and Aldi staff are the only staff that go out of their way to say hello!
    Even if you are busy foostering with bags you will allways hear a "Hello" from them.
    There are places around where the staff wouldnt even look at you lol ! The till is more interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

ronan45 wrote: »
    I think Lidl and Aldi staff are the only staff that go out of their way to say hello!
    Even if you are busy foostering with bags you will allways hear a "Hello" from them.
    There are places around where the staff wouldnt even look at you lol ! The till is more interesting

If you go to any of the German speaking countries then this is the norm across the board, it comes from the top down in their case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Glad i'm not the only one who has noticed how bad Dunnes Stores staff have gotten. I find them rude and lazy, and an experience on Saturday last has put me off for good.
    Last week i met up w a friend, and we picked up some bits but was in a hurry to get back home for a certain time. One of the items i bought was 'soft & gentle' deoderant , on a 2 for 1, but she tried to charge me for 2. When i pointed out her error, she went off lookin for someone to find out about this 2 for 1 offer. Apart from the restless que behind me i was in a hurry so i told her to leave it & purchased the 1 deoderant at full price rather than be late. Ok - my fault due to being in a hurry i guess.
    On Sat myself & son went to do a shopping, my mam sent me a dunnes voucher , and again everything grand until i handed the cashier the previously unused 25e voucher card. "Theres scratches on this" , she says, in a real accusing tone when i handed it to her, like i'd scratched it maliciously just to mess up her day. I explained it was a gift and it had never been used -to which she replied "well, it has to be 'used' to put the money on it in the first place". (i am at this stage breaking a sweat & panicking, as i did not have much cash on me , and whether i got to bring our groceries home or not was at this womans mercy).
    "I'll have to get Margaret" , says she as she exhales loudly in disgust at me and my troublesome voucher. "This has been used before" she added as she fecked off to find her supervisor.
    It was a 25e voucher my mam had sent me, not ever used. At this stage i was in a panic, the supervisor came along, pressed a button, the voucher was ok. I never even thought of complaining to anyone other than my son on the way home, i guess i have come to 'expect' rude treatment from dunnes stores cashier staff tbh , only realised this when i read this thread.
    There is a ethnic shop there in Coolmine that does chickens for 2.79, i'm going there in future for my sons meat needs, i'm finished with Dunnes in the centre after those 2 stressful experiences in as many days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I recall Dunnes Stores I was looking for Birthday candles, So i Politley asked someone stacking shelves. He pointed me to "the next aisle half way up it" Alas I couldnt find it.

The comparison to B & Q in liffey valley. Asked a member of staff for a particular Bulb. He Went from 1 side of the Shop to the other got and actually got the bulb for me. I tried to actually stop him and said ah its ok sure ill be able to rummage around for it. No chance! A real WOW moment for me. This store is HUGE takes about a 2 minutes to get from one side to another lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Okocim

Yes, would have to say that Dunnes staff are the worst in the Blanch centre when it comes to customer service, glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks it. Have to say that some of their ''native staff'' from certain parts of the Dublin 15 hinterland act and treat the store like they were lounging around in their mate Scobies gaff after a few cans of cheap cider, but I suppose when you're recovering from the buzz the night before a customer is the last person you want to see. Some bad apples everywhere but they have a couple of rotten barrels in Dunnes from a staff and fruit perspective. And the supervisors prancing around the information desk in a circular motion whispering to each other...don't get me started!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My favourite supermarket is Superquinn in the village. Its never too packed therefore never have to wait too long if at all at the checkout. Their staff are a liiiitttle bit too familiar for my liking. One girl actually said "oh you always wear lovely clothes". Compliment i know but i was caught off guard and a bit morto :o. One of the security guards is a bit creepy too, but overall a grand shop. Tesco i avoid like the plague and Lidl is fine, just a bit boring and souless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I cant comment on Dunnes in the centre I rarely go there but i find the girls and the managers really good in Dunnes in Ongar.

Tescos in Roselawn just an awful store IMO. I do most of my weekly shopping in Supervalue IMO they have the best deals and the staff are lovely. If they dont have something they will get it in for you and you dont feel like they are doing you a favour.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's surprising that there isn't a Supervalu in D15 at all. The nearest is Leixlip I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Staff in Eurospar Hartstown are fairly good too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, they're not bad there. There's one who has a face like a smacked arse on her all the time, but the rest of them are pretty pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Tesco in Roselawn are a great example of how not to run a supermarket. I can't remember the last time there was even baskets at the front door. I always have to go down the line of checkouts hunting for one.

The foods on the shelves are frequently 1-2 days from their 'sell by' date even though it should be 7-10 days for 'fresh' food. That and the fact that they are frequently sold out of many things would indicate that the don't get resupplied with fresh stock very often. It's amazing see so many empty shelves in there sometimes.

Oh, and they have the worst choice of any supermarket I've visited.

And as mentioned above, the staff are like zombies.

I'd go elsewhere, but they are 20 seconds walk away, are open 24 hours (which suits me), and I don't have a car to go a lot further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Service-wise I think Superquinn in Blanch village is pretty good, and overall it's my preferred supermarket. Great selection of fresh food, acceptable prices (once you avail of the offers) and the fact that it's never too busy are all important too.

Dunnes in the centre is inevitably mobbed (selection is good though), while Tesco Roselawn looks like a bomb site. M&S doesn't have the selection or prices to make me go regularly, and I hate that pretty much everything is UK-sourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Zaph wrote: »
    It's surprising that there isn't a Supervalu in D15 at all. The nearest is Leixlip I think.

There used to be, I worked in there :cool: mind you that was 12 years ago :eek:

Not sure why they left, it used to do a good trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

There used to be, I worked in there :cool: mind you that was 12 years ago :eek:

Not sure why they left, it used to do a good trade.

I'm curious, whereabouts was it back then? (Only lived in the area for the past 6 years myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The foods on the shelves are frequently 1-2 days from their 'sell by' date even though it should be 7-10 days for 'fresh' food.

How so ? If it's one or two days within its sell by date, it's within the sell by date. There's no such thing as fresh food having to be within a certain period of a sell by date. In fact you shouldn't even go by the sell by date when you're buying something, it's the use-by or best before date that's important. Even at that there's nothing wrong with having some on display after its best before date as long as it's obviously not spoiled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'm curious, whereabouts was it back then? (Only lived in the area for the past 6 years myself)

Eurospar in Hartstown used to be a Super Value when I was a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Polar101 wrote: »

It used to be the ground floor of Debenhams in the centre. It was Roches Stores back then with a Supervalu supermarket. I think the supermarket went before Debenhams took over and Roches used both floors for home and clothing for a while.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How so ? If it's one or two days within its sell by date, it's within the sell by date. There's no such thing as fresh food having to be within a certain period of a sell by date. In fact you shouldn't even go by the sell by date when you're buying something, it's the use-by or best before date that's important. Even at that there's nothing wrong with having some on display after its best before date as long as it's obviously not spoiled.

As some one that works in the Dunnes in the center (really getting hammered in here) it's illegal for anything to be on the shelf after its best before date, you can get a fine for each item. That's not to say that mistakes don't happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

superquin has more staff than customers

None of them seem to work on the till tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nolimits wrote: »
    As some one that works in the Dunnes in the center (really getting hammered in here) it's illegal for anything to be on the shelf after its best before date, you can get a fine for each item.

It's not illegal, an item after its best before date, which is an advisory date, can be sold after such a date as long as the customer is aware of said date.

However it is illegal to sell items after their use by date.

Pretty dismal apart from M&S. They're really friendly in there. I don't go to Superquinn enough to comment on it, but Dunnes in the centre and Tesco in Roselawn are awful. I nearly always feel like I'm inconveniencing them.

We've started to shop in Tesco in Cabra and it's like another world there. The shelves are fully stocked and the staff are friendly.

I think it's called the honeymoon period

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not illegal, an item after its best before date, which is an advisory date, can be sold after such a date as long as the customer is aware of said date.

However it is illegal to sell items after their use by date.

Fair enough, we don't ever tell people if something is past its best before date, it's supposed to be just taken off the shelf, this is probably where the fine comes in as the customer hasn't been made aware of the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

I find the fruit from Tesco Roselawn absolutely terrible. Horrible oranges and cardboard pears . .. . . .

I shop in Lidl and never have a complaint about the customer service. The place is professionally run. Totally different culture to the established supermarkets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

ntlbell wrote: »
    None of them seem to work on the till tho?

yeah, they are all managers, i had a laugh about it with one of the till girl, all these guys running around managing their section, its not big enough to warrent 4 or 5 managers!

• Advertisement

yeah, they are all managers, i had a laugh about it with one of the till girl, all these guys running around managing their section, its not big enough to warrent 4 or 5 managers!

I think now that musgrave own it we should start to see things change slightly.

I can't see them been happy to pay for a load of managers to wander around the place while they have one person on the till.

Advertisement