Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

• 16-12-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

The idea of having an off topic thread was raised by Mothman in the feedback thread a while back so lets give it a go. We can talk about all things non nature or birdwatching related, general banter or indeed anything N/B related that doesn't really warrant a thread of its own.

If I end up just talking to myself I won't take it personally :p and the thread will just die off but remember it was Mothman's idea not mine :pac:)

So hmmmm... let's see what could we talk about to start with :confused: Go on, look out the window and tell the rest of us.... is it SNOWING ?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Is there any room in here??

I hope you have the fire on, it's fre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

plenty of room :)

**throws another log on the fire**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

hi, guys.
    cold out where i am but no shnow!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

No snow in wicklow as yet any sign where you are littlebug if i remember you
    are close to the west

bogtreader wrote: »
    No snow in wicklow as yet any sign where you are littlebug if i remember you
    are close to the west

I'm in South Mayo. When I was out between 8- 8.30 there was just the occasional little snowflake falling but by 9pm the place was blanketed :D though it's stopped snowing now. Hopefully there'll be more overnight... we've got a snowman to build!

• Advertisement

Enjoy:D

I have one to rebuild :) though the last couple days turned a lot of him into a puddle.

Did anyone see Johnny kingdom last sunday night BBC 2 i think at seven o clock.
    I came across it by accident about birds coincidently it was mostly about
    woodpeckers about which mothman had captured .The third and final part is on this sunday.He has cameras at nearly every nest sight in a wood close to his house worth a look i thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

You can't beat a good cup of tea on a day like this!! I just came into what passes as my office (mouldy portacabin), it's Arctic out there but the cup of tea really helps :)!!

Coffee for me.
    Sunny here.
    I was working sheltered from NW wind and it was ok, but still the cold creeped into fingers and toes.
    Most of the frost has lifted and ground is less hard.
    Birds about the garden seem happy enough

• Advertisement

BTW, I saw my hens eating/drinking snow last week. I assume some wild birds do that for a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭IceMaiden

At times we use large loose leaved lettuce or cabbage type plants soaked in water & either put-out on the ground or hung in the pens for birds to get moisture from in extreme [hot/cold] weather other birds are seen on them so perhaps are also using them the same.
    We have much more snow with freezing temps forecast ,its not looking to promising & fear if this fall freezes then ever more natural feeding will be lost.Now to start on a fresh container of Hot-chocolate before going back outside again.

Mmm hot chocolate. There's an idea.

I walked down to the turlough this morning with the camera to see what I could see.... battery flat :rolleyes: so no pics other than a few on my phone. It took me hours and numerous cups of coffee to get warmed up again.

Keep the battery warm (use your imagination!)until you need it. There may have been some life left in battery if it wasn't every bit as cold as you felt.

Was there much ice on the Turlough. My ponds have been iced over for 3 weeks.

Mothman wrote: »
    Was there much ice on the Turlough. My ponds have been iced over for 3 weeks.

Mostly frozen over with a couple of non icy looking patches but it's hard to tell. Not a bird in sight.
    0FB0859D582543B6B1A864E5ED73C146-0000331913-0002081972-00500L-D7CECB1948774FC49478FA6A9409B6D6.jpg

(taken on my phone).

I saw a pair of Whoopers later flying over (very low) heading towards Lough Corrib. Hopefully they'll get some respite there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

With all this snow around it's a great time to see wildlife at night time. When walking home from work I caught a few glimpses of Foxes & Snipes in the fields along the roads. :)

Eric Dempsey was on Mooney goes wild yesterday he was saying that
    15 lapwings were found dead on the coast he reckons starvation.
    Usually lapwings would feed in a field close to where i work when it is very cold.
    They havent in the 2/3 years after the farmer spread lime
    The lime also stopped the mushrooms from growing.
    He also asked for people who take their dogs out for walks
    to keep them on leads to stop them scaring the birds
    as the bird will burn of vital energy

When we had the snow here couple weeks back the lapwings were confined to the coastal margins and the foxes were having a field day. A lot of weak birds.
    Flocks have moved further inland and I'm seeing numerous flocks on my travels.

Frozen pipes anyone?

My water is running though a challenge keeping animals watered.
    A really cold*night in places with lowest temp ever recorded in Northern Ireland. -18.0C
    Also lowest December temperature at Claremorris and Belmullet.

We're heading for 4 weeks of freezing conditions. There wil be a lot of casualties but nature will fight back. Some forecasts are giving milder conditions for weekend. I wouldn't count on it at this stage. Also ground is so cold it'll take longer to tha and rain will freeze on ground.

Meanwhile its sunny here and the animals and birds are seeking out the sunhine.

• Advertisement

4 weeks :eek:
    I can confirm it is very very cold in Mayo. We survived the freeze last year with no water problems so I think we got complacent this year :(
    It could be worse. At least we just have ourselves to look after. I was talking to a local farmer yesterday who is having real trouble keeping his animals watered.

Have you seen the frozen Malahide Estuary :eek:

Not even the waders are escaping.

Snowing like mad here
    5cm in 30 minutes.
    more hardship for wildlife, but I love it :D

Is anyone expecting or hoping for anything nature/ birdwatching related for Christmas?
    I know I'm getting a book. I know because I bought it. I may suggest he wraps it just so I can act all surprised on Christmas morning :pac:
    I would like new/ decent binoculars but they'll have to wait til next birthday.

littlebug wrote: »
    Is anyone expecting or hoping for anything nature/ birdwatching related for Christmas?
    I know I'm getting a book. I know because I bought it. I may suggest he wraps it just so I can act all surprised on Christmas morning :pac:
    I would like new/ decent binoculars but they'll have to wait til next birthday.

bit like yourself littlebug, if i get anything it'll be because i bought it myself! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Just spent the last ten minutes watching a snipe in my back garden. Odd little fellow. :D

I had a close encounter with a stoat today when it ran across the road in front of my car. I think the car but not the wheels went over it. I didn't feel a bump anyway.. one very lucky stoat. It was carrying something fairly big so it's not going hungry anyway.

Got 8" snow yesterday. the beach almost had the same with the sea spilling into the snow!
    Lightning took out the internet network laast night.
    Harsh conditons for man and beast. But I love it.....though I do have running water, fuel, shelter, food...take away one of those and I'd love it less :)

Mothman wrote: »
    Got 8" snow yesterday. the beach almost had the same with the sea spilling into the snow!
    Lightning took out the internet network laast night.
    Harsh conditons for man and beast. But I love it.....though I do have running water, fuel, shelter, food...take away one of those and I'd love it less :)

im with you mothman.
    much prefer this over the crappy wintery showers we'll get in march/april!

though in saying that we have had little or no snow in both cold spells.
    good in so far as we can drive around no bother, roads are perfect and still people crawling around here, but bad in so far as we have no snow.

pity the poor animals though.
    doing my best to keep them fed and watered etc. but it aint easy!

• Advertisement

Snow takes a surprising long time to thaw. We filled the bath with snow* last night and tonight there's still some snow there.. that's 24 hours with the heat on constantly.

* for toilet flush water... we haven't lost the plot :p
    So if there is a thaw on 26th I think we'll be lucky to have our water back by 27th :(
    So... nice though it is I want it to go away.

Advertisement