Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Left 4 Dead Lan November 21st - 23rd

• 03-09-2008 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Right,

As was suggested in the other thread, lets have another game launch lan.
    This time its Left4Dead
    See footage HERE

Since the Game is released on the 20th, the LAN will take place over the following weekend.

Personally, I can't wait to co-op through waves of the undead with a trusted shotgun. :D

This is a great idea 6 votes

Yes, I'll be there with bells on
    0% 0 votes
    No, You all suck and I'll play from my room
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I'd be up for anything to be honest.
    Begin the barrage of questions:
    1)Any LAN sooner?
    2)Doodee; how is the running coming on?
    3)How many were at the last lan?
    4)Can you leech players from square eyes and/or wired for the next lan? (you know the more lannage that goes on the better for these stores...)
    5)Need any help? I'm willing to help out again if you are short in admin's...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Gah, I had a big reply done out for this but clearly it didn't upload.

I don't think there will be a LAN any sooner, We're still sorting the room downstairs after the floods.
    Running going well, getting more comfortable with it.
    last lan had about 12 - 15, but we lost a few people once the flood hit.
    Leeching players should be ok, we could contact the cafes and ask them if we can put up a poster or two. I'm all for the gaming

Help is always appreciated. Sure I'll keep ya posted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

hmm... if i get my link-sys card to work ill be there.

might bring the laptop along also for low specs should the pc fail to work if its acceptable ?

cool, sorry about the upload, same thing happened me the other day. Anyway I think more interest needs to be mustered up and to a larger audience. Posters is a cool idea, I mite even fiddle around with 1 on my way to dublin this evening, something to keep me thinking of gaming.

I'm getting fairly bored of playing COH and TF2 online with a bunch of anynomous ppl.

S.I.R wrote: »
    Whats that a pci network card?

• Advertisement

S.I.R wrote: »

might bring the laptop along also for low specs should the pc fail to work if its acceptable ?

Yeah no problems.

We don't mind people bringing their laptops, once they respect the space requirements of other gamers.
    What we don't appreciate is people bring a complete second PC (Not to be confused with servers ;) ) that they have sit beside to use for warez / microwaving.

Awareness in the Galway area needs to be spread i guess. We will hit up a few of the cafe's and see what they say.

Roll on November!

to keep the ball rolling here;

yeah hitting the cafe's with posters would be a good idea, perhaps also this sub-forum should be brought back to the general "LAN parties" area, where people outside galway would see the threads, and might come to our humble city... Syxpak?

The boys in Midlans hit servers/shops/cafe's/most forums and thats how the pull in the numbers...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah get the wired people, I'm in there a lot of days with about 20 others It's like constant galway lan these days. :p

Yeah get the wired people, I'm in there a lot of days with about 20 others It's like constant galway lan these days. :p
    so... Wired stole Galway LAN?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's ours now, WE decide when the next one is on. :-p
    In other news they got rainbow 6 vegas 2 last night, if you haven't played it I sugggest you do, awesome multiplayer.

• Advertisement

Tar,

would many of them have their own PC's to game on? and are they interested in doing so on the weekend?

from experience most people who used to Game in nethouse didn't have a rig of their own and only came in to get their fix..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm defo making this! I've got my airbed all ready to go!!! :D I would imagine L4D will available for pre-load a few days before as well.

No idea who has their own comp, I imagine a lot of people would. Every tom, dick and harry has a laptop at least these days. As for interest, doubt most have ever heard of galway lan, so a flyer or two in the net cafes won't go amiss... or maybe talking to the owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

A flyer up in colleges in Dublin would be a good thing as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭RabidDog

Hey guys,

Mark from Wired here.

Anything I can do to help out just let me know.

Posters are no problem. If you need someone to design one I can do that too, I'm not too bad if I don't say so myself. Also one of the gamer's in Wired works in a local printers and I can probably get a good quote from him (whether I design them or not).

A lot of our members do have their own gaming systems. They can usually play CoD4 and CSS so Left 4 Dead shouldn't be a problem for them (especially since Valve always concentrate on making the minimum specs as low as possible).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

We could be on to a winner here lads!

RabidDog wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Mark from Wired here.

Anything I can do to help out just let me know.

Posters are no problem. If you need someone to design one I can do that too, I'm not too bad if I don't say so myself. Also one of the gamer's in Wired works in a local printers and I can probably get a good quote from him (whether I design them or not).

A lot of our members do have their own gaming systems. They can usually play CoD4 and CSS so Left 4 Dead shouldn't be a problem for them (especially since Valve always concentrate on making the minimum specs as low as possible).

Never miss a beat eh! :p
    You make the posters for the comps? Theya re nice.

That sounds great.

Whatever can be done to help the community in Galway is good with me :D
    I'll let the others know and see if we can get things started. Now the only question is numbers, how many should we aim for.

Ok, just to be clear. :)

I'll go ahead and design the poster?

I'll link to a draft of it when it's done, to get people's opinions.

I need to know what details should be shown?

How many posters do you think we should print? A3 or A4? I'll get a quote from Podge.

I'd say mostly A4 with 2 or 3 A3 for your own shop window and maybe the colleges?

• Advertisement

Sounds good. Give podge a break from designing religious magazines. :P

haha but thats assuming that gaming aint a religion :D

5 or 6 posters should be good. should be home in Galway over the next 2 weeks so can see about throwing them up in the colleges.

I've yet to set a number for attendance for this. looking good though.

Can't wait for L4D now, gonna be fun playing as the infected and ambushing a group of Survivors in the early hours of the morning :D

Ok, here's the poster (Draft 1):

GalwayLAN_L4D_Draft1.jpg

I assume this LAN will be added to LanParty.ie? It seems the easiest way for people to find info online.

Any other details I need to add? I think simple is best. :)

Anhow, let me know what ye think.

And here's a second, same layout but without the extra background texture (Draft 2):

GalwayLAN_L4D_Draft2.jpg

I like the texture, but this one is cleaner and perhaps easier to read... :)

What do you think?

2nd one would do, fist one is better, pretty damn cool!

5 different fonts??? OMG!

I recommend changing the 3rd and 4th fonts to that of the 5th or something similar.

I'm not sure about that, I think the fonts make it easier to differentiate between information.

I could be wrong though, so lets get some other opinions. :)

Yeah seems pretty good.

The hotel address could be removed and replaced with "PC's and Consoles welcome" and just before the url have "For more information visit..."
    If people know the hotel name they will make their way there.

As regards fonts, you could keep it the same as the Address one if ya fancy.

was down in Galway at the weekend but was not online much.

Will be away over the next 2 weeks so if anyone needs to get these things progressing contact Syxpak or Asok.

Anymore suggestions for the LAN?
    Rooms were confirmed as being available so the Event is Go in my eyes.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I'm not gonna be able to make it, but I have a rather good excuse - Mammy rang me the other day and said "Wanna go to Orlando at the end of November?" so I couldn't really say no to a trip like that when it's being paid for and I have 16 days holidays left from work for the year :D I'll give ye a shout from a roller-coaster or something ;)

Advertisement