Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

state of road near Béal na Bláth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Sorry for high jacking the OP slightly but I've wondered why the signposting to the ambush site has not been improved over the years. If anyone is traveling to the ambush site from the South, it is very difficult to find the site.

On a few occasions over the last few years, I've been stopped by cars traveling from South Kerry via Bantry and Dunmanway. It's extremely difficult to give directions to drivers travelling from this side; the council should really improve this situation. It might be wise to have some signpost closer to Bantry directing traffic towards Crookstown; much easier to find the monument coming from this side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

The signposts kept getting stolen so they stopped putting them up.

.red. wrote: »

I was wondering was that the case. It is signposted from some directions though so it must be someway possible. If it wasn't for the garage there promoting the whole Michael Collins angle - admittedly to make a few bob themselves from the cafe/giftshop - most passerbys wouldn't know where the place is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

.red. wrote: »

wow, my father told me that and I thought he was talking shíte. why would people steal them? there's loads of other tourist signs aroud the country that don't get stolen.

my auld lad also claimed it's a very republican area so the locals don't want any signs or commemorations.
    The Peanut wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the garage there promoting the whole Michael Collins angle - admittedly to make a few bob themselves from the cafe/giftshop - most passerbys wouldn't know where the place is.

never knock a man and his hustle! we would have gladly bought a quick coffee if we got directions. but we were coming from the other direction i think.

• Advertisement

wow, my father told me that and I thought he was talking shíte. why would people steal them? there's loads of other tourist signs aroud the country that don't get stolen.

my auld lad also claimed it's a very republican area so the locals don't want any signs or commemorations.

never knock a man and his hustle! we would have gladly bought a quick coffee if we got directions. but we were coming from the other direction i think.

It's quite a republican area alright.

I would never knock them. It's my main spot for getting diesel on the way to Cork city; without them and the The Diamond Bar, the little village would be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's a commemoration every single year so presumably they have to put up or shut up. It's a blueshirt/FG event pretty much.

The stealing of Beal na Blath signs was reported in the examiner as well a few years ago iirc.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/collins-ambush-signposts-stolen-so-fast-they-cannot-be-replaced-25972369.html

Wouldn't surprise me if they're turning up in Irish bars in the US or elsewhere. All those signs put up as 'decor' are hardly obtained by kind permission of the County Council.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/stolen-road-signs-lead-to-chaos-for-tourists-29457998.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/council-may-micro-chip-road-signs-to-stop-theft-219664.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

To get to Beal Na Blath from any direction just head for Crookstown.

From Bantry/Dunmanway direction, follow signs for Crookstown. You will come into Beal Na Blath itself on this road. Swing RIGHT after the garage and the monument is about half a mile up the road on the left.

From pretty much anywhere else you will be on the Cork/Macroom road. Take the turn off for Crookstown(there are 2 about a mile apart, either will do) and you will come into Crookstown village from one of 2 sides. When you get to Cliffords bar(not the cornerstone bar) take the turn off for Bantry and the post office. You will come into Beal Na Blath on this road with the Diamond bar on the left. Keep left here, you will pass the garage on your right. the monument is half a mile up the raod on the left.

dont forget to drop a few cent into the collection box on the monument

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The state of the road between the Diamond bar and the monument has been in a bad way since the snow/ice in winter 2011 and 2012. There does seem to have been a little work done on it since then but very little improvement. I think the road was in a dire state before but the snow and ice really made it worse.

I used to use that road quite a bit when traveling to Clonakilty but not avoid it at night due to the poor condition.

Advertisement