Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poor mans Crossfit?

Options
  • 15-04-2013 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I've been looking into the Crossfit system of training. However, the monthly cost for membership is very expensive, especially for someone who isn't working.

Are there any similar alternative gyms to Crossfit in the Dublin area?

Failing that, I was considering the Tapout XT system but I'm wary I won't be as motivated working out alone.

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I came across this place recently

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83390971

and there's also d24 fitness which do metcon & weights classes, check out their facebook page for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

On my non weight days ive been doing some(trying at least) of the "insanity" workouts. a quick google should get you a few vids....might be an option for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

why in gods name would u do crossfit???

ever hear of a good clean bro diet and hitting the weights 4-5 times a week plus small bit of cardio??

why make something so simple hard???

the mind boggles :rolleyes:

Didn't really answer my question at all but thanks for playing

xgtdec wrote: »
    On my non weight days ive been doing some(trying at least) of the "insanity" workouts. a quick google should get you a few vids....might be an option for you!

I've come across the Insanity programme in my research of the Tapout system. I've also read that people that have used one of these systems have often tried both with good results.

Are you lifting weights in a gym or at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

You can do the Crossfit workouts at home for free. Just go to Crossfit.com and type in WOD. You will need some basic equipment but nothing to crazy, obviously you need to be a self motivator but a lot of people do the WODS in their home or garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I've come across the Insanity programme in my research of the Tapout system. I've also read that people that have used one of these systems have often tried both with good results.

Are you lifting weights in a gym or at home?

lifting in a gym

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What is Crossfit to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hanley wrote: »
    What is Crossfit to you?

Well edited videos ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

JJayoo wrote: »
    Well edited videos ?

With bad heavy metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Zamboni wrote: »
    With bad heavy metal?

In slow motion for extra extremenessness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

I've been looking into the Crossfit system of training. However, the monthly cost for membership is very expensive, especially for someone who isn't working.

Are there any similar alternative gyms to Crossfit in the Dublin area?

Failing that, I was considering the Tapout XT system but I'm wary I won't be as motivated working out alone.

Thanks for the advice.

Why don't you approach Tom in Crossfit and tell him your story, ie :unemployed and not in a situation to meet the steep monthly payments... He may well be in a position to help you out.... As the saying goes, If you don't ask, you don't get....

Never trained there, just worked with Tom many years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Why don't you approach Tom in Crossfit and tell him your story, ie :unemployed and not in a situation to meet the steep monthly payments... He may well be in a position to help you out.... As the saying goes, If you don't ask, you don't get....

Do the above.

Also try:
    www.revolutionfitness.ie
    www.southdublinsc.ie

Note: the above are NOT crossfit gyms(before I'm shot!), but would definitely cater for what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭COH

There are also loads and LOADS of crossfit wods that require no equipment whatsoever - if money is an issue you could just do them in your sitting room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Theres a lad who does sessions in a school in glasnevin for 7 euro a pop. He's very crossfit oriented does a lot of wods etc in his workouts. Been to one of his classes it seemed quite good.

Check out fb page dublin- strengthconditioning fit camps

I contacted them via their website asking did they offer a reduced rate for unemployed people. They said "they don't at this time". Unfortunate :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,126 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I contacted them via their website asking did they offer a reduced rate for unemployed people. They said "they don't at this time". Unfortunate :(.

That's a pity. Maybe try and ask Crossfit Dublin or Hanley's place?

I've been down at Crossfit Ireland for the last couple of months and it really is brilliant. It's expensive, but it is genuinely the best money I spend every month. I've heard similarly good things about the other two above. If you could negotiate down to €25 per week it would be well worth the stretch imo.

Saving that, hook yourself up with a Ben Dunne membership, go down at the quietest times of the day and try and follow Crossfit Football as best you can?

Or if motivation is an issue, try and do the strength work in the gym yourself and look into tag rugby / boot camp classes over the summer to help push yourself for some conditioning?

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jparyan101

Check out Keepfit.ie who provide Bootcamps and MetCon training. From what I can see MetCon is pretty much the same as a Crossfit type workout for about a quarter of the cost. I was involved with them until I moved. They have a few spots but the MetCon is in Ballsbridge as far as I know. Website is www.keepfit.ie or they are on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

jparyan101 wrote: »
    Check out Keepfit.ie who provide Bootcamps and MetCon training. From what I can see MetCon is pretty much the same as a Crossfit type workout for about a quarter of the cost. I was involved with them until I moved. They have a few spots but the MetCon is in Ballsbridge as far as I know. Website is www.keepfit.ie or they are on facebook.

Yep ALL CrossFit is just Metcons! :rolleyes:

Burkatron wrote: »
    Yep ALL CrossFit is just Metcons! :rolleyes:

Sur everybody knows you're not crossfitting unless you're lying on the floor in a sweaty pukey mess at the end!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jparyan101

Burkatron, the NAME of the session is MetCon-workouts vary like a WOD. FYI there is time spent learning fundamental movements including all Olympic bar lifts, main body weight activities, gymnastic activities etc. Equipment used includes Olympic Bars, gymnastic rings, tyres, harnesses, prowlers etc. Sessions are either timed or structured against a rep count format e.g. 21 down session. There is always some cardio in the session as well usually in a HIIT format. I am sure Crossfit offers many benefits but I can only speak from my own experience. I had thought about joining Crossfit but it didn't suit my pocket. Personally, I found this session really beneficial. I learned how to lift weights properly for the first time in my life and as a result found myself in better shape than I had ever been before. I also found the coaches to be really good to work with. There was also an option to work with their nutritionist. Anyway if it not for you, no worries man but the thread asked for a lower cost alternative to Crossfit. Peace!

• Advertisement
Advertisement