Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flatmate stole my iPhone from sittingroom table

• 30-06-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Last Wednesday I left to visit my folks. I forgot my iPhone, leaving it on the sitting room table. When I got back I discovered it was gone. I live with two other guys. I am generally more responable with things like this and this was the first time in a year of living here that I left something outside of my locked room.
    I have spoke to one of my flatmates but have not seen the other one yet. I also have the Track My iPhone app installed but the phone has been off since last Thursday. One anoying with Apples tracking site me.com is it only stays logged in for a few minns before logging you out. This is anoying as I would like to keep this running 24/7 constantly on one of my desktop computers so that if they as much as turn it on then it will show up.
    I don't have a password on my iPhone for this purpose. I would rather whoever stole it to turn it on and make a few calls or use the internet so it will show up in my online stats.
    Who should I contact. If I call o2 now they will cancel my sim so that will make getting tracking/phone call/sms/sites impossible.
    I am gonna contact the guards. Will they take this serious? or am I just waisting my time?
    I used to use ilocalis on my 3gs which was great but I never got it for my iPhone 4. I'm kicking myself now.
    I don't have insurance for my phone. Do landlords have some kind of house insurance that would cover something like this.
    Has anyone had something similar happen to them and how did they go about it?

Thanks for any help,
    Mike.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

clearz wrote: »
    Do landlords have some kind of house insurance that would cover something like this.

You can forget about this.

Landlords have insurance for flooding or fire or even an act of God!

Tenants have to insure their own contents

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

cool you got an iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

He had an iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

maybe ask the other guy if he seen it furst?

I love how Iphone users tell you they have an Iphone.......even when it's stolen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

insurance probably wouldn't cover that phone anyway, they'd claim you weren't taking due care of it

sound house mate by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭clearz

Oranage2 wrote: »
    maybe ask the other guy if he seen it furst?

I love how Iphone users tell you they have an Iphone.......even when it's stolen!

Never even thought of that. I guess I was trying to show that it is not just a cheap phone. And the fact that iPhones allow you to track your phone means that it was important info to the matter at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Never even thought of that. I guess I was trying to show that it is not just a cheap phone. And the fact that iPhones allow you to track your phone means that it was important info to the matter at hand.

OP It's better to have loved and lost than never to have had an iphone at all!

At least you have the memories...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Get your network to block the IMEI. If it was your flatmate who stole it then you will more than likely "magically" find it back again where you last saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

With o2 you generally have to report the phone stolen within 24 hours of you realizing it was missing.That is if you have O2's insurance. The other poster was right about having to take care of the iphone. If you left it in your car for example it would have needed to be in a locked glove compartment. That kind of thing. You also need to make a garda report asap. You are reluctant to report it to O2 because you thing you may get it back. I would think the chances of getting it back are slim. Remember if someone decides to ring america for 12 hours you are responsible for these calls if you have a bill phone. With o2 insurance you need to have reported your phone stolen within the 24 hours if you dont and its used you are responsible for any use. If you have reported it I think you are covered for calls up to 650 euro. Whoever has your phone may no longer have your sim card in it. It would make sense to block the sim at least because it can be used in another phone and that would be untraceable. You could be looking at huge bills if you are a bill pay customer. Get a sim replacement and you will at least have your number back in action. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

Sorry just seen you have no insurance. Pity. still report it to the gardai. Get your imei blacklisted too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

steal something of similar value to an iphone from said iphone housemate thief.

that really is all the advice i could give you.unfortunatley you dont have insurance and as already pointed out,due care wasnt paid to the phone so it wouldnt matter anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Its fairly crazy to live in a house where you have to keep everything under lock and key or it'll get nicked. If a phone is sitting on a table and goes missing its obvious its one of the two guys who you live with and were in the room, have you tried telling them to return it or the guards will be getting involved? Personally I'd have lost the head with the two other housemates...

Aside from the crappiness of losing your iphone I would question why you would want to live in a place under those circumstances?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wouldn't consider someone leaving their phone unattended in the sitting room of their house as being careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im not an advocate of violence, but i would be kicking off if someone i shared rent with stole from me, especially such a high value item. Thats really low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Get a rocking chair and a shotgun.
    Place rocking chair in the suspects room.
    Sit on rocking chair.
    Place shotgun in hand.
    When suspect enters, just slowly rock back and forth, stroking the gun, whispering 'Soooooon my dear. Soon'

That'll freak the guy right out! I'm sure he'll crack up and confess.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

Maybe go down the route of asking him before you go getting guards involved and all that? Could be that he didn't take it, maybe a mate of his was over and your housemate will go round to that mate and rob it back for you. worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭clearz

OK Two flatmates(fm) fm1 and fm2

Ok Ive pretty much have narrowed it down to one of them fm1.
    First fm2 hasn't even been near the house in about two weeks.
    fm1 was in the house when I left and saw me getting into a car to leave.
    The phones battery was full because I had charged it knowing I was going away.
    I called it a half hour after I left and it rang. I then called it about 2 hours after I left and it was off and has been off since.

I logged into me.com(iPhone location site) to send the phone a message. That message is still pending. It says "Message pending sent: 23/06 00:47" which was around two hours after I left. The phone should have been full at this time and would have been connected to the house internet (has 3g also). So it obviously had been switched off by fm1 the only guy in the house.

when I got back to the house days later once I saw the phone was not where I left it I went straight to fm1s room to see did he put it somewhere. Before I got a chance to speak he blurts out that I had left the back door open the same day I left. Now I know I did not do this as I always lock the door behind me (was he trying to set up some story that someone could have come into the house, took my phone from the sitting room and not touch anything else?)
    He told me that he had came back from a "friends" house the next day and it was open. Now I quoted friends because I have never saw him or heard him talk about any friends before. He is foreign, works long hours, sleeps and sees his kids on a Friday. This is the life I have seen him live for a year.(Was this "friend" the guy he sold my phone to?) Rent is due this week and he owes me 100 bucks which he seems to be able to pay no problem even though I have been trying to get the money of him for months.

When I told him my phone was stolen he gave the OMG look with the "I never saw it bs" This guy sees everything. Our sitting room is bare and he is trying to say he never saw the black phone sitting on the center of the white table even though you have to pass through it to get to the kitchen or the stairs.

The thing that really pisses me off is he suggested to me to go to the guards straight away and to call the phone company to block it (Is the phone getting sent to his home country and he is confident I can prove nothing?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

TBH OP, if I knew for absolute certain it was this guy that stole the phone I'd forget about the phone. You will not get this back, ever. But I would be thinking of somehow getting back at him...somehow. Keep your powder try and wait. Sometimes a house is broken into twice, happened to an aunt of mine. ;)

Oh yeah, you should find a new place to stay, maybe with a couple of sound guys you can trust

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

take something/somethings of the same value as an iphone from the suspected thief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

barryd09 wrote: »
    take something/somethings of the same value as an iphone from the suspected thief.

Bang on, And hit him a box as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Ok Ive pretty much have narrowed it down to one of them fm1.

I knew it would be fm1. I just knew it!

I think AntiRip's advise above is spot on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

barryd09 wrote: »

This would be my plan too he would soon get the message

Advertisement