Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

harpsman wrote: »
    Joke yes?british open july

Reread my comment and you might get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

Lads, we're all splitting hairs on the stats of Harrington and Casey. When we're talking about cuts made, top 10's etc etc broadly speaking there's not a lot between them on the last 12 month's form. I'm no particular fan of Padraig but I can't see how the argument for Casey is a convincing one (nor is the argument for Padraig either). Its the captain's call and he's made it, rightly or wrongly, he has to go by his gut feeling, not the Sky Sports/Robert Lee agenda which I can't fathom. Otherwise why have wild cards, why not just go right down to no.12 on the list ? The captain should have some leeway surely.

Had Monty picked Casey there would equally be no good argument the other way.

Without bringing too much overt patriotism into it, it seems sometimes that there's an underlying hint of jealously or bitterness that a supposed lesser player (Harrington, a scrambler in fairness) has 3 majors and is a bit mad, while the poster boys of UK golf have none. Maybe I'm wrong but I genuinely can't see why Sky seem so anti PH......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Russman wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but I genuinely can't see why Sky seem so anti PH......

Because he isn't English

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

Lads, we're all splitting hairs on the stats of Harrington and Casey. When we're talking about cuts made, top 10's etc etc broadly speaking there's not a lot between them on the last 12 month's form. I'm no particular fan of Padraig but I can't see how the argument for Casey is a convincing one (nor is the argument for Padraig either). Its the captain's call and he's made it, rightly or wrongly, he has to go by his gut feeling, not the Sky Sports/Robert Lee agenda which I can't fathom. Otherwise why have wild cards, why not just go right down to no.12 on the list ? The captain should have some leeway surely.

Had Monty picked Casey there would equally be no good argument the other way.

Without bringing too much overt patriotism into it, it seems sometimes that there's an underlying hint of jealously or bitterness that a supposed lesser player (Harrington, a scrambler in fairness) has 3 majors and is a bit mad, while the poster boys of UK golf have none. Maybe I'm wrong but I genuinely can't see why Sky seem so anti PH......

Agree totally.it is toss of a coin.to call the decision a shocker is,well,typical sky.
    anyway casey,daspite his confidence and big mouth is a repeated choker when it really matters

Agree totally.it is toss of a coin.to call the decision a shocker is,well,typical sky.
    anyway casey,daspite his confidence and big mouth is a repeated choker when it really matters

So Harrington is better than Casey now is he? Make up your mind.

• Advertisement

So Harrington is better than Casey now is he? Make up your mind.

Sigh.
    First response was to somebody who asked for any evidence of casey recent form being better than harrington,to which i merely pointed out their respective results in last 2 majors,which as name suggests,are quite important.

2nd response was merely agreeing theres little in it and an opinion on paul caseys personality and career.

In answer to your question,yes i think harringtons better than casey-3 and 0, as the yanks say.

Lastly,for this particular match i would have picked casey if its solely about winning,but i think politically its difficult to leave out a 3 time recent major winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Harrington would have done much better this year (and last) if he could stop throwing in the 8's when he is in contention.
    A single 8 in matchplay doesnt matter a jot if you are 6 up after 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Harrington's form over the year has been better - take a look at the WR points he won while the points list was open - 204.97 vs Casey's 164.51. It takes a lot to lose 40 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I think a big factor in the pick was that Monty seems to have some sort of relationship with Harrington whereas Casey appears to be a little harder to get on with. I don't think PC comes across well in interviews; he is an engaging chap, but his arrogance is sometimes hard to ignore, notably when he explained his reasons for not travelling to the Czech Open.

Harrington on the other hand was far more self-deprecating, berating himself for poor scheduling and admitting his failure to play the last two events in Europe could and almost should cost him a place.
    In that respect at the very least, he will unquestionably be a more popular character in the team room, which I'm sure Montgomerie was aware of. Even Olazabal has given Pod his backing, despite the bust-up they had in the Seve Trophy a few years back; he's frustrating as hell, but he's clearly a hard man to stay mad at (unless you're Sergio Garcia) ;)

Based purely on results over two years, Casey deserved to be picked, but there's so much more to consider, not least of which is their over-all Ryder Cup records. Both of them, not just Harrington, flopped in Valhalla, and if the truth is told, neither of them would've felt much pressure at all in '06 and '04 because the victories were so great.

True pressure in the tournament, after the first tee shot is hit, only arises late Saturday and all day Sunday if the match is tight. Only Harrington has felt this in the last decade (not that thats Casey's fault, I hasten to add) and he came through it brilliantly, hockeying Calcavecchia at the Belfry and seeing off O' Meara in the ultimate pressure cauldron that was Brookline in 1999.

I think that's the player we'll see if it's required in Celtic Manor. Remember, in the Ryder Cup, golf becomes similar to other sports: you're only as good as the guy you're playing with! Or against....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Personally I think Casey would win more points for Europe but only time will tell. I hope Harrington proves me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

GreeBo wrote: »
    Harrington would have done much better this year (and last) if he could stop throwing in the 8's when he is in contention.
    A single 8 in matchplay doesnt matter a jot if you are 6 up after 10.

Or if your 6 down it means your dormie:D if you have it on the next hole

Sigh.
    First response was to somebody who asked for any evidence of casey recent form being better than harrington,to which i merely pointed out their respective results in last 2 majors,which as name suggests,are quite important.

2nd response was merely agreeing theres little in it and an opinion on paul caseys personality and career.

In answer to your question,yes i think harringtons better than casey-3 and 0, as the yanks say.

Lastly,for this particular match i would have picked casey if its solely about winning,but i think politically its difficult to leave out a 3 time recent major winner.

If your willing to go back to the last two majors-one of which you got Caseys result wrong-why not go to total majors won? Casey has no 'bottle' when it comes to the majors. But then again, he is alot younger than Harrington who failed numerous times before he won his first.

How someone can say that Casey is a better golfer than Harrington is beyond me. It must be an opinion since facts definitely do not back that statement up.

Casey has a bad rep on tour as being arrogant and aloof. That might have something to do with him being overlooked as well.

ziggy wrote: »

Ahh come on, they're hardly the most reliable indicator, despite their name. Tiger still no.1 when he's been anything but the best player in the world for the last 18 months ??

As I said previously I've no particular preference between Casey and Harrington, there is little to choose between them, but most of Casey's points were earned in early 2009. As far as I know PH has earned more points in the last year (open to correction on this).

I go back to the point of rankings, why not just abandon Captain's Picks altogether if we want to use rankings (of any sort) as the barometer ? The whole idea of the pick is to give the captain freedom to choose from outside a given list.

I think a big factor in the pick was that Monty seems to have some sort of relationship with Harrington whereas Casey appears to be a little harder to get on with....

The rest of your post is excellent, but I don't agree with this part because
    It is a hard decision for Casey to take, having been a guest at Montgomerie's wedding.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/rydercup/7970989/Ryder-Cup-2010-Paul-Caseys-omission-proves-hard-to-justify-for-Colin-Montgomerie.html

Btw: The rest of that telegraph article is the biggest load of bitter crap i've seen on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

ziggy wrote: »

Casey has gained more world ranking points in this calendar year so far, mainly due to a 2nd place in the Matchplay back in February and a 3rd place in the Open. Harrington has more points in the last 12 months. Casey is still ahead of him in the World rankings due to his two wins back in April/May 2009.

In the last 6 months or so, Harrington has had a few missed cuts and a few good finishes. He has played very erratically at times. Casey has probably been more steady but, apart from the Open, his average performance has been to finish in about 25-30 position and not really threaten the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

i thought PH was going to tee it up in europe. don't see him in the entry list for klm

Apparently playing the Irish PGA in Seapoint the week before the Ryder Cup.

Playing the Vivendi in France instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

Padraig Harrington has confirmed that he will play in the Vivendi Cup 2010, as he looks to hone his game ahead of taking his place in the European Team for The 2010 Ryder Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ahh come on, they're hardly the most reliable indicator, despite their name. Tiger still no.1 when he's been anything but the best player in the world for the last 18 months ??

As I said previously I've no particular preference between Casey and Harrington, there is little to choose between them, but most of Casey's points were earned in early 2009. As far as I know PH has earned more points in the last year (open to correction on this).

I go back to the point of rankings, why not just abandon Captain's Picks altogether if we want to use rankings (of any sort) as the barometer ? The whole idea of the pick is to give the captain freedom to choose from outside a given list.

Tiger has had a bad 6 months but with the rolling 2 years system with points depreciating weekly he wont be staying top for long without winning again. 7 wins last year and 3 seconds gave him an almighty lead before that late night incident :o last November. Top 33 players in the rankings have actually gained more points than Tiger this year :eek:

Tiger has had a bad 6 months but with the rolling 2 years system with points depreciating weekly he wont be staying top for long without winning again. 7 wins last year and 3 seconds gave him an almighty lead before that late night incident :o last November. Top 33 players in the rankings have actually gained more points than Tiger this year :eek:

That's exactly my point, its very unfair to criticise Monty for overlooking the ranking of Casey when the rankings themselves are open to some debate and not necessarily the most current/accurate indicator. I agree they're the only official ones we have and are worth something but with captain's picks the captain shouldn't be constrained to a ranking as a his criteria for picking anyone. The captain makes the call based on whatever he wants, and ultimately will be judged on it after the event. He shouldn't have to explain himself to Sky ;)

Who knows, it might well turn out to be a crazy call and PH might lose every match he plays but he might also win every match and Monty will be called a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

i dont think monty took any notice of points scored..
    its a personality thing and ryder cup record thing when selecting the wild cards

If your willing to go back to the last two majors-one of which you got Caseys result wrong-why not go to total majors won?

How someone can say that Casey is a better golfer than Harrington is beyond me. It must be an opinion since facts definitely do not back that statement up.

Casey has a bad rep on tour as being arrogant and aloof. That might have something to do with him being overlooked as well.
    1)because majors in 07,08 dont indicate RECENT FORM
    2)totally agree as i said in last post
    3)could be right-might not be popular,although i see he was guest at montys wedding and is mates with english lads

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Neither Casey or Harrington played themselves into the team. The choice was Monty's and was clearly not based on stats. Thats what captains picks are for... hunches, giving rookies a shot, whatever, its the captains call.

Casey took it on the chin, so why are there so many stat monkeys still whining about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

to conclude: harro is mates with monty
    so monty is taking his sorry ass to the ryder cup at the expense of others who have showed good (if not truly exceptional) form during 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

conno16 wrote: »
    to conclude: harro is mates with monty
    so monty is taking his sorry ass to the ryder cup at the expense of others who have showed good (if not truly exceptional) form during 2010

all these arguments were had about poulters inclusion at the last ryder cup and he finished top point scorer for europe,
    fact is monty is captain and feels ph is a better choice than casey,
    it doesnt matter why its montys call,
    if casey was that bothered he could have played more in europe than he did ,
    but id say monty would have picked him had it not been for molinaris brillance to win the last tournament,
    its a great team and we should walk the event this time round,
    back harrington for top points scored

AnneFrank wrote: »
    all these arguments were had about poulters inclusion at the last ryder cup and he finished top point scorer for europe,
    fact is monty is captain and feels ph is a better choice than casey,
    it doesnt matter why its montys call,
    if casey was that bothered he could have played more in europe than he did ,
    but id say monty would have picked him had it not been for molinaris brillance to win the last tournament,
    its a great team and we should walk the event this time round,
    back harrington for top points scored

While some of what you've had to say makes sense you're last comment would bring a smile to any bookmakers face!

• Advertisement

1)because majors in 07,08 dont indicate RECENT FORM
    2)totally agree as i said in last post
    3)could be right-might not be popular,although i see he was guest at montys wedding and is mates with english lads

Well if winning Majors doesn't indicate who the better golfer is surely world ranking points over the past 12 months will.... oh and Harrington has more of them than Casey. Unless you want to pick some arbitrary point in time and say Casey has more points....maybe in the past 3 months and 2 weeks or something like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement