Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

conno16 wrote: »
    yes i would
    but my celebrations wouldn't involve me jumping up on down on a green like some sort of redneck that had just been released for the day
    decorum is required on the golf course at all times

Decorum is also required on a public forum.

Gorfield, like it or not, your buddy is in the public domain now. Rightly or wrongly, he's going to be criticised by know-nothing shyte talkers, and will probably get (is getting?) flak from more knowledgable sources too.

He's also going to be praised to high-heaven by the same breed of idiot, and "expert analysts" when he performs well once again.

He's not an amateur anymore. He's being paid money derrived from the golfing public, and the golfing public will have their say. I've never met the guy, but I will say that I think to defend him like that on a public forum does the chap a disservice. I can see your frustration, but if I were you, or in Lowry's camp, the last thing I'd be doing is dignifying such idle criticism with the his details above. It's pointless, and only serves to add merit to what would otherwise be a throw-away argument.

Good point, and taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

yes i would
    but my celebrations wouldn't involve me jumping up on down on a green like some sort of redneck that had just been released for the day
    decorum is required on the golf course at all times

One of those 'rednecks' was his good friend Rory McIlroy, guess he might know a thing or two about decorum on course.

Sorry, better to raise your glass of pims and look down on the common folk. I've yet to read a comment of yours that isn't written specifically to annoy someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭powerfade

golfbgud wrote: »
    Has Lee Westwood and Ross Fisher actually fully and openly endorsed Mark Roe as being their wonder short game coach?

Direct quote from Ross Fisher's Europen Tour blog "I’ve been working hard on my short game with Mark Roe recently and there were some shots out there that week that really paid dividends."

Great occasion watching Shane win this year, a great moment for Irish sport and Irish golf. With 3 golfers in the top 50 in world rankings at the moment, Irish golf has not looked so rosy in some time. Our golfers are providing us with great entertainment on a almost weekly basis.

Shane has proven he has the game and the temperament to win and I wish him continued success next year. He needs to work hard and get in better shape and realise what it takes to become a top pro, but from his interview he knows this already and is taking steps to rectify this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DU.LLAHAN

God there is alot of post's on this thread, havent read them all but why doesnt some one save this thread and bring it back out in 12 months time, and see if peoples opinion of him has changed. Since he has only played for six months as a pro lets see what he can do in twelve months. He is 138 in the world
    http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/rankings/default.sps?region=world&PageCount=3

Lets see where he is this time next year and judge him on the year past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

Whatever people think about Shane, he's gone round the front 9 in -5 T3 in the Alfred Dunhill Championship

That a boy Shane!!

1st rd 67.

Driving avg. 300.5yds
    GIR. 15/18
    Fairways hit. 10/14
    Putts per rd/gir. 24
    Scrambles from missed gir. 2/3

Your all right he needs to get his game in shape alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

tell him to call over to my house with his medals

What on earth are you on about?????:confused:

Your Ian Poulter shrine might frighten him away. That Alan Partridge episode springs to mind .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

gorfield wrote: »
    What on earth are you on about?????:confused:

Dont do It gorfield
    troll-web.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

1st rd 67.

Driving avg. 300.5yds
    GIR. 15/18
    Fairways hit. 10/14
    Putts per rd/gir. 24
    Scrambles from missed gir. 2/3

Your all right he needs to get his game in shape alright.

1 round doth not a champion maketh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

f22 wrote: »
    Your Ian Poulter shrine might frighten him away. That Alan Partridge episode springs to mind .......

He's a mentlalist!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

GreeBo wrote: »
    1 round doth not a champion maketh.

True that. He made a solid opening to the HSBC champions as well and then bombed.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

I wonder if Shane would be more accepted if he were from Dublin?Maybe I'm wrong but I get the odd sense of 'Ah sure he's only a bogger from down the country' about it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I wonder if Shane would be more accepted if he were from Dublin?Maybe I'm wrong but I get the odd sense of 'Ah sure he's only a bogger from down the country' about it all.

If he was from Dublin he'd have sharted himself at Baltray last May.

You can take that to the bank.;)

Way off the mark there, just typical good old fashioned Irish begrudgery to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

f22 wrote: »
    Way off the mark there, just typical good old fashioned Irish begrudgery to be honest

I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Do all non Dublin people have an inferiority complex against those from Dublin?

I think it's more to do with a lack of understanding and golf cop on to be honest.

I hope so.

Seems like a likeable chap to me, anyone I know that knows him have only good thing to say about him. I have been well impressed by him and have seen him play quite a few times as an amateur.

I hope he does well.

• Advertisement

Not in sport we don't, quite the opposite.:p

I think it's more to do with a lack of understanding and golf cop on to be honest.

I disagree, iv grown up playing golf and the guys from dublin were always treated differently, always got picked on teams, no matter how bad they were! Its just something that happens in sport...and still does. You only have to look at the irish team at the home internationals in 2007 at baltray to see it in all its glory.....

PS i have absoloutly nothing against dublin people.

It's bizarre that even at the highest levels of the amateur game that something like that can exist. From what I've been told it's exactly like some of the **** that club team captains and commitees go on with, toys for the boys etc.

It seems that even at a high level if you annoy the wrong person your card is marked no matter how well you are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

I disagree, iv grown up playing golf and the guys from dublin were always treated differently, always got picked on teams, no matter how bad they were! Its just something that happens in sport...and still does. You only have to look at the irish team at the home internationals in 2007 at baltray to see it in all its glory.....

So who do you believe didn't merit their place on the team?

And who was more deserving of a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

And who was more deserving of a place?

pat murray is one good recent example

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭markie4

PS i have absoloutly nothing against dublin people.

Gorfield, I think you're right in this particular case, but it does make me smile. Sounds remarkably similar to what Roy Keane, Stephen Ireland and even Damien Richardson (if you've heard the Off the Ball theme) have said about the "Dublin" bias, so you're in good company. Not a criticism of you, just an observation.

As a dub, I think it's true that if the selectors for any team are based/concentrated in a geographical area with dublin being the most likely place, then that'll be their bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

can't believe there is so much hype about this,
    he wins one tournament...great..well done..

what has he done since...

for god's sake, people are talking like he's the hero of all heros

tiptap wrote: »
    can't believe there is so much hype about this,
    he wins one tournament...great..well done..

what has he done since...

for god's sake, people are talking like he's the hero of all heros

Just like that Crazy Frog. Where is he now?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭markie4

Just like that Crazy Frog. Where is he now?

Crazy Frog's certainly not in top 150 golfers in the world, which Lowry currently is

• Advertisement

markie4 wrote: »
    Crazy Frog's certainly not in top 150 golfers in the world, which Lowry currently is

I think you might have missed my air of sarcasm...;)

Advertisement