Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attention NWN junkies.

• 04-04-2003 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I think we can safely say you guys do NWN regularly,

hows about a FAQ on where to get the patch/hakpacks/modules and how to install them and myself or Rev will throw it into the announcement section.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

patches: use the autoupdater
    modules: follow the links given in the threads and download em
    haks: usually come with the modules or via a special link in a thread

it can't get any simpler, I think

edit: if you have to manually copy something somewhere:
    - modules go into \NWN\modules (files end with .MOD)
    - haks go into \NWN\hak (files end with .HAK)
    - movies go into \NWN\movies (files end with .BIK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Dont think theres much need for a nwn faq, as the guys said we pretty much put up mirrors of the required instructions and files for each game we play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Actually there is one thing that it is needed for.. Newbies... might be an idea to do an FAQ, not so much on the patches etc... other than to say look out for posts with NWN (date) etc... but it should include in the FAQ the game server: games2.iol.ie and maybe the port number directly into the campaign server if needed as well as the times and so on we play.

port of campaign-server would be useless without the password. I think the portal-server should be put in the FAQ

cya
    - Flash

p.s.: anyone ever noticed that you can spell the thing like "fa-Q"? a message?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Boards.ie Neverwinter Nights FAQ

For those who want to have a go

Things you will need:
    1. a valid copy of Neverwinter Nights
    2. a connection to the internet, doesn’t have to be bradband. This isn’t quake you know!
    3. Any relevant files required to play on the server. These files will be listed on the roleplaying board and usually a link will be provided.

Step 1.

Check the roleplaying board for a thread with the date for the coming Monday or Wednesday.

Follow the instructions posted. Usually this will be a link to another forum (darkkeep) with a mirror of any files needed to join the server.

Step 2.

Well in advance of joining the server, MAKE SURE YOUR GAME IS PATCHED TO THE LATEST VERSION. At the time of posting the version is 1.29

To patch your game just start it up with an internet connection open, then run the update program from the initial control panel (it’s the button with update on it.)

To manually patch the program go
    HERE

and be prepared for a pretty large download.

Step 3

Download the files needed to play, or if you have already done so (and you should have in step one) extract them to the relevant folders.

Any files ending in .HAK shoul dbe copied/extracted to your <drive>://NWN/HAK directory
    Any files ending in .MOD go in your MODULE directory

you may also want to play the intro movie etc. These are .BIK files and should be placed in your MOVIES folder.

You are now ready to play online.

Step 4.
    Select PLAY from the startup menu, then choose MULTIPLAYER, create your multiplayer account (as easy as a username and password) and you are in to the game option screen. Choose to play a LAN game and then select DIRECT CONNET

In the server address section of the pop up window type

games2.iol.ie

Leave the password blank.

This will take you to a character creation screen, make up your character and you will arrive in the centre of the portal server.

If you've made it around 8 to 8:30 you'll meet up with some people beating the snot out of each other. Otherwise go and explore. the portal behind you wont work by the way, that's the portal to the other server which we use during the week (not the campaign server).

To find the campaign server, go into the first shop on the left (it's a magic shop with a lever on the floor - pull the lever twice and you are ready to continue).

Go through the left door and head downstairs, the server portal is at the end of the first turn left (a lot of left turns! Rev, what were you doing with your right hand when you designed this?).

If the portal is on, you will see a shaft of light. If there is nothing there, it hasnt been activated. Wait for the rest of us to turn up or check the roleplaying boards for any notices.

if you join the server and a game is in progress, set your speech option to SHOUT and let us know you're there. the rest should sort itself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yea just a general IOL FAQ. Actually only just got NWN updated yesterday and I got lost numerous times trying to figure out what I needed :) I only just noticed you's link to darkeep and I was able to find a bit more info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by LoLth
    To find the campaign server, go into the first shop on the left (it's a magic shop with a lever on the floor - pull the lever twice and you are ready to continue).

Whaaaheyy! I'm now a badger!
    Go through the left door and head downstairs, the server portal is at the end of the first turn left (a lot of left turns! Rev, what were you doing with your right hand when you designed this?).

Neither worked and pulling levers down there gets me electrocuted.

you're not supposed to pull the lever anyways (thou it's fun as you don't lose XP or gold when dying). At campaign-times, lolth can activate a portal here which will teleport you (= connect you) to the campaign-server.

cya on monday :)
    - Flash

Advertisement