Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stop ACTA and SOPA ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Davion Puny Metropolis

endakenny.com was always a joke site, not a defacement.

Also how many web spiders are gonna crawl this thread and add all those email addresses to their spam target?

hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Hi
    Its a bit insignificant but every little helps!
    Ive created a QR code linked to the stopsopaireland.com website

Ive printed about 50 sheets of labels with this on them.

I suggest everyone does the same, put the labels anywhere you are, work, college, school, bus, shops, etc.

24c7ho5.png

Thanks
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Great idea Shane!

However I feel that we also need to highlight ACTA more as well.

Ireland is set to sign it tomorrow.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-and-eu-to-sign-controversial-acta-treaty-tomorrow-336764-Jan2012/

We need to get John Neary''s email address! The department of Foreign affairs website is extremely slow ATM

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=33445

Everyone needs to go here ASAP and express their worries.
    Any chance of another copy and paste job anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Leman Russ

Is it too late to act? I wasn't aware this damned thing was going out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HugelDude

ok im 13 and im pretty sure you should have asked the country before doing this this goes against are rights and why are you targeting the internet i think i speak for everyone when i say this is bull**** serously this is why i hate being irish this is why i want to kill myself because you ass-holes ****ed up the currency now the internet think of what you are doing you have people who are laughing and having fin on the inter net and heres the world ****ing it all up please if you had any care about the world or your country you would be on my side to stop this and let the internet be as it was piricy is an issue i see that but theres no need to do this and yes you see me trollin im hatin im typein dirty i get it but really please the internet is where i feel safe cared about in real life its diffrent...sincerly Keith Shoebridge Please dont screw the world wide web up im acctually crying righting this wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

I followed that link to the Irish embassy in japan. I had no idea what to write and the box is rather small so I just put in the following

We need to stop the signing of the ACTA aggreement as they go against our sovereign rights. We should not be dictated as to how we utilise the Internet by another country. You only have to look at the SOPA/PIPA debacle of late to see that nobody wants these kinds of short-sighted restrictions. Please oppose this on behalf of the Irish people. Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bigben121

i hope they all die :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 emerald-eagle

Hi guys,

The attachment is from the US Stop SOPA Campaign but no reason why it couldn't work just as well here too. Pass it on... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Got an out of office reply from MEP Brian Crowley, he's gone till next month. Coincidence eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Im sure i got similar but here it goes:

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch in relation to this issue. It is one I feel very strongly about and I have attached a Press Release which I will be issuing today in relation to the matter.

Again, thank you for raising this important matter with me.

With regards,

Tom Barry TD
    156 Main Street
    Mallow
    Co. Cork
    tom.barry@oireachtas.ie
    022 58001
    083 4200425
    087 7540438

And here is the attachment:

PRESS RELEASE
    DEPUTY Tom Barry has urged serious caution in relation to proposals to introduce a Statutory Instrument to allow the courts to block access to websites suspected of infringing copyright.
    “While I have not seen the specific text of this proposed order yet; I would like to put on record my considerable concerns at any threat to restrict personal freedom in relation to freedom of expression or access to information on the Internet. In addition, I also think the proposal raises serious concerns about protection for Internet users.
    “In the case that has led to this proposal, Mr. Justice Charleton said that existing legislation constrained the judiciary from granting injunctions to prevent infringement of copyright against Information Service Providers. However, I feel we should be reluctant to pre-empt criminal activity. We already have sufficient law to allow prosecution for copyright infringement if and when it does occur. I am fearful of the consequences of introducing preventative legislation that may impact on personal freedoms.
    “If we are to tackle the suggested flaws in the existing Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000 we must examine in detail the potential implications of handing control of the monitoring of Information Service Providers over to the judiciary. There are some extremely large corporations who would welcome this legislation or something like it; but there are even more organisations - upon whom we depend for a great deal of employment and potential future growth - who are vehemently opposed.
    “We must consider the stringent opposition to this kind of restrictive and legislative Internet control from companies like Google, Facebook, Yahoo, EBay, Linkedin, AOL and Twitter – amongst others – who represent so much promise for Irish employment and innovation into the future. The very nature of the Internet means that inadvertent copyright breaches are almost inevitable – but we already have legislation to deal with these breaches after they happen. Allowing for the blocking of any website where infringements occur seems like an extreme and counter-productive response.
    “Another serious consideration relates to the recent decision by the European Court of Justice ruling that Internet access is a human right and that EU law precludes injunctions being taken against ISPs. The position of the European Court of Justice is very clear – the matter can be taken to the courts after the holders of intellectual-property rights have had their rights infringed. But the Court categorically underlined the prohibition of the monitoring of information transmitted on ISP networks.
    “The key word in Mr. Justice Charleton’s judgement is ‘prevent’. I do not, at this stage, believe that it is possible to ‘prevent’ the offending activity without putting personal freedoms and human rights, as clarified now at EU level, in danger. I await the final wording of the proposed Statutory Instrument but the Internet Industry must be protected. I believe it is vital to our future and that the core principle of the Internet - the principle of freedom of access to information - must be protected.”

ENDS

END OF ATTACHMENT

That is all :pac:

Oh and before i forget i was suspected of SPAM of the Assistant to Liam Aylward MEP :rolleyes: Nice people :rolleyes:

But here is what they said :

Dear Mr Brembo26,

Thank you for your email outlining your opposition to "Sopa" Ireland.. I will bring the points and concerns you have raised to the attention of Mr Aylward.

As you may be aware the European Commission has asked the European Council to authorise the signature for ACTA (Anti Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) and then the European Parliament will be officially asked for consent. As ACTA is a mixed agreement - partly competence of the Member States - ratifications by national parliaments, including Ireland, will be required as well.

The European Parliament Committees that are responsible for this file - DEVE, INTA (Internal Market) and JURI (Legal Affairs) have already began preparatory work and have asked the Parliament legal service for opinion. We have been informed that the JURI Committee is currently checking the compatibility of ACTA with the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

The was concern among MEPs regarding the secrecy of the negotiations surrounding ACTA and there have been several Parliamentary questions on this issue, mostly calling for publication of the documents from negotiations.

Mr Aylward is not a member of the committees responsible for ACTA but his ALDE (Alliance of Liberals and Democrats) colleagues in these Committees have been to the forefront in asking for increased transparency and called for the European Commission to present all discussion documents, relevant studies and impact assessments on ACTA.

At present, clarification is still needed on the compatibility of ACTA with the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights before a final position is taken. The MEPs are awaiting this and the feedback of their colleagues working directly on this file. Mr Aylward has received several emails from constituents concerned about the impact of this agreement on their livelihoods and access to information and will take these views into consideration ahead of full Plenary vote.

I trust this information will be of interest to you.

Yours sincerely,

Laura Real

Assistant to Liam Aylward MEP

Hi guys,

The attachment is from the US Stop SOPA Campaign but no reason why it couldn't work just as well here too. Pass it on... :D

Yes and no, its not all about downloading games and movies.

Nothing against you btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DuncansGhost

As both a staunch supporter of Fine Gael and the protest movement against ACTA it pains me to post this. I know firstly that there is a massive chance that this bill will get passed if we don't all unite and put pressure on the right people in our government. I also know that for the most part Fine Gael have the Irish people's best interests at heart (I'm not here to debate politics, so please don't focus on that). I'm posting because I want to preserve the current freedoms in which we all enjoy online. As a close friend to the FG party I regretfully give you the names and numbers of the TD's in which I believe your calls and emails will most influence. Thanks, and I hope we can get this stupid bill shelved or better yet taken off the table for good.

Richard Bruton: Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation (Key Minister behind the bill)
    Constituency: Dublin North Central
    Phone: 01-6312172 Mobile: 083-3092443 Email: minister@djei.ie

Lucinda Creighton: Minister of State for European Affairs
    Constituency: Dublin South East
    Phone: 01-6194309 Mobile: 086-3294420 Email: lucinda.creighton@taoiseach.gov.ie

Paschal Donohoe: TD
    Constituency: Dublin Central
    Phone: 01-6183689 Mobile: 087-6481004 Email: paschal.donohoe@oir.ie

Sean Conlan
    Constituency: Cavan-Monaghan
    Phone: 01-6183154 Mobile: 086-8126340 Email: sean.conlan@oir.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spaces

Protest outside the dail today http://www.facebook.com/events/322868877751259/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mdl100

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 wanlabanchang

The government don't care what the people think. They do whatever they want regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

The government don't care what the people think. They do whatever they want regardless.

That kind of attitude is why!

Well basically any form of protest only gets about 1/2 days of publicity. Look at the student protests. Regardless of protests, letter and e mail campaigns the grant is still reduced significently every couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Well basically any form of protest only gets about 1/2 days of publicity. Look at the student protests. Regardless of protests, letter and e mail campaigns the grant is still reduced significently every couple of months.

A clear message needs to be sent out to td's that they wont get re-elected if they support ACTA

The sad fact is that they will get re-elected no matter what they do. If people are stupid enough to vote for fine gael in the first place then politics really didn't come into their decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

The Johny wrote: »
    Dear ******,

Thank you for your email outlining your opposition to ACTA. I will bring the points and concerns you have raised to the attention of Mr Aylward.

As you may be aware the European Commission has asked the European Council to authorise the signature for ACTA and then the European Parliament will be officially asked for consent. As ACTA is a mixed agreement - partly competence of the Member States - ratifications by national parliaments, including Ireland, will be required as well.

The European Parliament Committees that are responsible for this file - DEVE, INTA (Internal Market) and JURI (Legal Affairs) have already began preparatory work and have asked the Parliament legal service for opinion. We have been informed that the JURI Committee is currently checking the compatibility of ACTA with the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

The was concern among MEPs regarding the secrecy of the negotiations surrounding ACTA and there have been several Parliamentary questions on this issue, mostly calling for publication of the documents from negotiations.

Mr Aylward is not a member of the committees responsible for ACTA but his ALDE (Alliance of Liberals and Democrats) colleagues in these Committees have been to the forefront in asking for increased transparency and called for the European Commission to present all discussion documents, relevant studies and impact assessments on ACTA.

At present, clarification is still needed on the compatibility of ACTA with the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights before a final position is taken. The MEPs are awaiting this and the feedback of their colleagues working directly on this file. Mr Aylward has received several emails from constituents concerned about the impact of this agreement on their livelihoods and access to information and will take these views into consideration ahead of full Plenary vote.

I trust this information will be of interest to you.

Yours sincerely,

Laura Real

Assistant to Liam Aylward MEP

I also got the same email and responded as such:

Thank you kindly for your quick response and for conveying my
    opposition to ACTA to Mr Liam Aylward MEP. Your email was of great
    interest to me. I did not however that you did not meniton Mr
    Aylward's own opinions towards act. What is most concerning to me is
    the active examining of packets of data set to and from a user by my
    Internet Service Provider (ISP) which would be mandatory should such a
    proposed act be made law. I would very much like a clarification by Mr
    Alward in this regard. As a proud Irishman and European I value
    freedom above all else and I believe that any threat to that freedom
    should venomously opposed.

Yours with the greatest sense of respect and trepidation,

There is the odd spelling mistake, but I believe that it conveys my deep anger and opposition in a way that words could not...or it makes me look like a loon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Folks,

As this has been raised in the thread I was wondering if anyone here can provide some feedback on where exactly the distinction between SPAM and protesting via electronic means. While I commend the work of those who have created the lists available for use here I am forced to question how this information can be used in protest within the bounds of the law and I think everyone on the thread and others could benefit from such information.

For example, if I were to send an email to the lists provided on a daily basis until a response is gotten from each contact is this considered SPAM? How many emails have to be sent before its considered SPAM and an illegal activity or what is the discerning factor?

Can you actually SPAM these addresses after all they are open to the public for contact and facilitating communication so if its being used for its intended purpose then how is it SPAM?

Or if a group of people organised to constantly call a specific TD's office during opening hours to clog the phone lines until that TD makes their views on the Irish SOPA act clear. Would this be considered a form of harassment and could individuals be charged with such such or similar offences? Is political activism a defence to such a charge?

I am ready to throw my weight behind this thing but I think like many others I would like to know just exactly where the line is so we can prevent ourselves from unwittingly crossing from protest to criminality even if it is on some technicality.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AngryGoldfish

So far I've received a couple of positive replies. Keep it up, folks. This thing could really be the end of my career as it stands, and what I'm doing is completely legitimate. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

got an email from Phil Prendergast and same email as The Johny got
    Dear ■■■■■■■■■■,

Thank you for your email.

In the context of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), I share your concerns, especially as regards the protection of fundamental rights such as the right of information, freedom of expression, personal data protection and the right to due process. I take the view that internet freedom should not be jeopardised by disproportionate intellectual property rights provisions. Thus, in its current form, I will not be able to vote in favour of ACTA.

I will be closely following this matter as the agreement is brought to the European Parliament for consent to ratification by the European Union.

For your information, please find attached the position taken on ACTA my political group in the European Parliament (S&D) in late 2010, as well as the legal opinions of the EP´s Legal Service, which the Legal Affairs committee voted to disclose on December 19.

Should you feel that I can be of further help on this or any other matters, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks.

Phil Prendergast MEP for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dail discussion under way, place is fúckin empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markronan

ACTA has been signed its over. What exactly does this mean? Will my internet be monitored? Will there be a 3 strike process if i download stuff? Do ISPs have to go along with it. I'm with UPC and they won a big court case recently objecting that they will not monitor customers internet traffic. What does this mean for them?

ED E wrote: »
    Dail discussion under way, place is fúckin empty.

I noticed that too! It's a real shame and also outlines a real need for a youth influence in the dail. This is an issue that I have no doubt Dylan Haskins would have taken to like a pig in ****e! ;)

I have to say that I am very proud of those who took time out of their schedule to "debate" the issue. And I am also proud of Eoghan Murphy TD Fine Gael for pointing out Mr. Sherlocks utter laziness at not presenting a statement.

• Advertisement

Markronan wrote: »
    ACTA has been signed its over. What exactly does this mean? Will my internet be monitored? Will there be a 3 strike process if i download stuff? Do ISPs have to go along with it. I'm with UPC and they won a big court case recently objecting that they will not monitor customers internet traffic. What does this mean for them?

The court ruling which UPC won is what issued this adjustment to copyright law.

As far as what happens next? Your guess is as good as mine! Under a current EU ruling in the EU courts, an ISP does not have the right to monitor every users activity on their network, however that does not rule out (I think) their ability to set up a flag system that will highlight a user who has download .. lets say 700mb in a short space of time.

ISPs under this new adjustment can be taken to court and unlike the case between IRMA and UPC that you mentioned above, the ISPs will more than likely loss the court case and be forced to implement some sort of 3 strike rule.

All in all ... your guess is as good as mine, however what I can tell you is the only winners from this adjustment to Irish law will be the fat cat music industry.

Advertisement