Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homeless animals in Galway

• 20-12-2010 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Hi. I've seen today two dogs wandering around in the morning and the same dogs when i was going back home.. also a cat sitting on a fence next to where i live.
    I could see they paws where sore from cold and they didnt know what to do with themselfs. :/
    We cant do much about it unfortunately, but we can always leave some food for them and so i did.
    Horses are different story.. have no idea how they can be left outside in this weather -this is just cruel. Stupid, selfish, thoughtless people!
    Do what you can if you see any little brothers around...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi where are these dogs. are they big dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

That said, the dogs and cat were probably just minding their own business. However, if you wake up some morning to find a horse outside your house uninvolved in a Rubberbandits skit, then there may indeed be some cause for concern.
    You could wear a false moustache if it makes you feel more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Not too big. One is a kind of terrier -black/white and other also black white and looks like collie mixed with spaniel. I was trying to check if they have any collars but they didnt want to come near me.
    They must had some good experience with people before. :/

Ficheall wrote: »
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

That said, the dogs and cat were probably just minding their own business. However, if you wake up some morning to find a horse outside your house uninvolved in a Rubberbandits skit, then there may indeed be some cause for concern.
    You could wear a false moustache if it makes you feel more comfortable.

:confused:

The ISPCA have a phone number National Animal Helpline 1890 515 515. it is not right. at least if you feed them they have a better chance. i would go and take a look but weather is too dangerous. i will put a note up on an animal welfare site that i have access to.

• Advertisement

From my experience if i call them ,two scenarios :
    -one : they will be put to sleep ( i will rather leave them as they are at least they a chance of surviving)
    -second: someone will come to check in three days time and they will be long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

softmee wrote: »
    Hi. I've seen today two dogs wandering around in the morning and the same dogs when i was going back home.. also a cat sitting on a fence next to where i live.
    I could see they paws where sore from cold and they didnt know what to do with themselfs. :/
    We cant do much about it unfortunately, but we can always leave some food for them and so i did.
    Horses are different story.. have no idea how they can be left outside in this weather -this is just cruel. Stupid, selfish, thoughtless people!
    Do what you can if you see any little brothers around...

fair play to you.

If they stick around & you need help with the cost of feeding them, I'd be happy to drop off a few bob somewhere for you.

Knitting paw mittens would be beyond me though....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's Christmas. Lots of dogs will be thrown out to make way for the Christmas Puppy - a tradition that has died out in the civilised world but not here. If the rescues were not overfull, poverty stricken & overworked enough they will get a rush of dogs shortly.

In Galway you have three options: The GSPCA, East Galway Animal Rescue & MADRA - they all have websites with contact info.
    You could call the dog warden & the dogs will very likely end up dead.

Because this is Ireland dogs are allowed to wander & no one bothers with a name tag - that way the blame, when the dog causes an accident etc, does not come back to the owner. So no one knows if a neglected dog is a stray or just one of the thousands of neglected dogs that have owners who don't give a ****.

If you want to help then the best way would be to offer them a bit of food & gain their confidence. Then if you think that there is a possibility of catching them phone the rescues & see if any has space - otherwise you will of acquired a pet dog.

My latest addition is a gorgeous Labrador Collie cross found abandoned by the sea - he was one of last year's Christmas Pups & the novelty probably wore off. He has a wonderful temperament & is a super family dog - but he still got dumped.

You might be better posting in the Animals & Pets section as some here will just make unhelpful remarks & criticise you for getting in the way of the time honoured Irish tradition of animal cruelty.

big b wrote: »

Knitting paw mittens would be beyond me though....

:pac:

Thanks, i will support with some food animals around here and for sure you can find some around where you live, just dont forget about them and that will be better then helping me helping. ;)
    Birds might also need some help -there is cheap birds food in LIDL ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Discodog wrote: »
    It's Christmas. Lots of dogs will be thrown out to make way for the Christmas Puppy - a tradition that has died out in the civilised world but not here.

Sadly that's not true. A friend volunteers in shelter that is connected to a network in the States, and it happens ALL the time. There are even ads on Telly asking people not to do this. Happens in UK too. Don't understand how people can do this *anywhere* :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

the time honoured Irish tradition of animal cruelty.

Spot on. Tá an ceart ar fad agat, faraor.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Sadly that's not true. A friend volunteers in shelter that is connected to a network in the States, and it happens ALL the time. There are even ads on Telly asking people not to do this. Happens in UK too. Don't understand how people can do this *anywhere* :(

Most UK media agreed to stop advertising Christmas Pups years ago so the problem has declined hugely. Ireland is pretty much the worst Country in Europe. We have reduced the number of dogs that we kill but per population we kill about 10 times more than Scotland. In many European countries there aren't any stray or unwanted dogs.

Spot on. Tá an ceart ar fad agat, faraor.

According to my religious neighbour "Animals were put on Earth to serve man & be treated in any way that he sees fit"

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

According to my religious neighbour "Animals were put on Earth to serve man & be treated in any way that he sees fit"

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have no words!

Most UK media agreed to stop advertising Christmas Pups years ago so the problem has declined hugely. Ireland is pretty much the worst Country in Europe. We have reduced the number of dogs that we kill but per population we kill about 10 times more than Scotland. In many European countries there aren't any stray or unwanted dogs.

You did say 'civilized world', so I took that to mean not just Europe, but all 'first world' nations. :p Parts of the US are horrific, as I said my friend works for a large network shelter. I have personally seen it there too. Not just Ireland for atrocities, but it is sometimes more visible here, as we are in close proximity to our neighbours. Hope it improves everywhere.

That's quoted a lot in religious circles, my poor vegetarian friend in the States got that particular one every 5 mins from zealots.

Ok, so unfortunately they are still out there... Gave them some food and it looks like one is the boss of another and ba...rd ate everything!

I called GSPCA and they wont take any more dogs. They also wont talk to the people i know might own them (for some reason -probably, they cant do much).
    Somehow every time i asked them about help with issues like this they didnt do nothing and when i wanted adopt a dog i was told i work too many hours and i dont have a garden! I felt like i wanted adopt a child and what i should think about it now when i hear there is no room in their shelter and some dogs are freezeing to death out there.
    Is that fair and does it make sense???
    I have my own dog now and he is perfectly happy without garden as i he has 3 long walks a day!
    Lady from Madra doesnt have any room in her shelter either and she is stuck in the country.

I think i know what happend with those dogs. There where around different place before (where "some" people live) and now, they are all the time outside some block of apartments/houses.
    It looks like someone moved in/rented and it was "too nice" inside to let them in... this is what i think.
    -and i hate people who did this!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

Animal welfare is shocking in this country. From my experience farmers are shockingly bad at treating their animals well. In the field beside me there are 6 or 7 ponies with no blankets on and no bedding, being fed every other day. Disgusting. Every horse and pony should have a blanket on if outside. I'd love to stick the owner out for a night without a blanket, feed him every other day ...

All neutering should be offered free to pet owners who aren't going to breed. The number of unwanted dogs and cats that get put down every year here is a national disgrace. Disappointed that the Greens haven't done something about this, actually disappointed with them full stop.

We are an atrocious nation when it comes to animal welfare :mad:

I think no horse should be left out of the shelter in this contitions :

"Bitterly cold this evening and tonight with a widespread severe frost and ice on untreated surfaces. Dry in most areas, though the north and north-west are likely to still have some scattered snow showers at times. Some freezing fog also , especially in the midlands. Temperatures will drop as low as -10 to -13 degrees C "

-blanket wont help much.
    It should be illegal to buy a horse if you cant provide a shelter. I know It isnt usually that cold in Ireland, but even if its around 0 its too cold.

I feel it will ruin my Christmas. :(

Disappointed that the Greens haven't done something about this, actually disappointed with them full stop.
    We are an atrocious nation when it comes to animal welfare :mad:

The Greens have been a disaster but they were also put off by the criticism of introducing the Dog Breeding Bill in a recession.

The simple facts are that the vast majority in Ireland do not consider Animal Welfare to be a worthy issue which is why it won't be part of the electoral campaigns of the three main parties.

The Animal Rescues in Galway all suffer from a chronic lack of money because the Irish do not donate to animal welfare to the same degree as other countries.

The Dogs Trust were only able to open a €10 million rehoming centre here because of the generosity of UK dog owners & their willingness to help dogs in other countries.

• Advertisement

The Animal Rescues in Galway all suffer from a chronic lack of money because the Irish do not donate to animal welfare to the same degree as other countries.

-and still they are making big problems when you want to adopt one, does it make sense?

softmee wrote: »
    -and still they are making big problems when you want to adopt one, does it make sense?

You should read some of the threads in the Animals & Pets section here. We have been discussing this very issue. In Galway MADRA & East Galway Animal Rescue will tend to be more flexible that the GSPCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

If it troubles you that much, call the warden to collect them, and destroy them.
    It's more humane than having them living in this cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

All neutering should be offered free to pet owners who aren't going to breed. The number of unwanted dogs and cats that get put down every year here is a national disgrace.

I agree about the amount of unwanted dogs is disgusting and overbreeding in this country is ridiculous but who do you expect to fund the neutering? The government wont do it.

I think you shouldnt take on a dog without having to agree to neutering unless you have a IKC reg dog that you are planning to show and ethically breed. Dog owners need to take responsibility for their dogs by chipping, neutering and keeping their dogs secure.

Its never going to happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

OP what part of Galway have you seen the dogs? Are they in the same area everytime?

• softmee wrote: »
    I think no horse should be left out of the shelter in this contitions :

"Bitterly cold this evening and tonight with a widespread severe frost and ice on untreated surfaces. Dry in most areas, though the north and north-west are likely to still have some scattered snow showers at times. Some freezing fog also , especially in the midlands. Temperatures will drop as low as -10 to -13 degrees C "

-blanket wont help much.
    It should be illegal to buy a horse if you cant provide a shelter. I know It isnt usually that cold in Ireland, but even if its around 0 its too cold.

I feel it will ruin my Christmas. :(

Its not always possible to put in farm animals. Once they are well fed and have water, which involves bringing them water when the pipes are frozen they are happy enough. They are a lot tougher than humans. We have all our stock of cows and calves in the fields at the moment and also have horses out, with blankets on. Our animals are very well treated and I'd take offense to anyone who said we were being cruel by having them outside.

Its not much if any warmer in a shed either in this weather, especially slatted sheds where the animals lie on concrete.

wet-paint wrote: »
    If it troubles you that much

Sounds like it doesnt trouble you... Maybe life is easier if you care only about your own comfort.

Its not always possible to put in farm animals. Once they are well fed and have water, which involves bringing them water when the pipes are frozen they are happy enough. They are a lot tougher than humans. We have all our stock of cows and calves in the fields at the moment and also have horses out, with blankets on. Our animals are very well treated and I'd take offense to anyone who said we were being cruel by having them outside.

Its not much if any warmer in a shed either in this weather, especially slatted sheds where the animals lie on concrete.

Maybe this is the way it is, i never lived in country, but for sure some shelter would protect them from wind and snow...

Hi i have set up a facebook page Galway Horse Welfare. please take a look and also put up information if you see a horse that is not being fed or being mistreated. i have spoken to Sarah from East Galway Animal Rescue and she has said she will give as much help as she can. So please take a look and spread the word. The horses on headford road are being fed, the farmers in the area donated hay....so we can try to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

What a charming scumbag he sounds

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement